JohnSmirnov
Private

Which French Intervention in Mexico scenario is better?

Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:30 pm

In terms of units, map, details etc which one is better and got more than the other? American Civil War one or Pride of Nations one?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Which French Intervention in Mexico scenario is better?

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:45 am

The treatment of the entire civil war in the PoN DLC is relatively limited compared to the full civil war game. Its a good scenario and interesting to play but it uses PoN's more generic rules rather than being a detailed model of the specific war.

I'd say this stretches to the treatment of Mexico too - but could be wrong in this respect

PhilThib

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:29 am

The units in both cases are historical and the same as were involved in the 1863 intervention (and further reinforcements until 1867). The only, and main, difference is the scale, because basic units in both cases don't use the same.
However, I would say that PON renders are more realistic - even if at a higher scale - of the conflict, while in CW2 the French intervention is a mere sideshow.

JohnSmirnov
Private

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:11 pm

loki100 wrote:The treatment of the entire civil war in the PoN DLC is relatively limited compared to the full civil war game. Its a good scenario and interesting to play but it uses PoN's more generic rules rather than being a detailed model of the specific war.

I'd say this stretches to the treatment of Mexico too - but could be wrong in this respect

I am talking about French Intervention in Mexico, not Civil War.

JohnSmirnov
Private

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:18 pm

PhilThib wrote:The units in both cases are historical and the same as were involved in the 1863 intervention (and further reinforcements until 1867). The only, and main, difference is the scale, because basic units in both cases don't use the same.
However, I would say that PON renders are more realistic - even if at a higher scale - of the conflict, while in CW2 the French intervention is a mere sideshow.

Thanks for answer! Btw, just curious, how does French Foreign Legion looks in PON version of French Intervention? The one like in ACW (blue uniform, white caps etc) or differently? And is there various kinds of French Foreign Legion (like depending on conflict/war/scenario/etc) or they look the same everywhere? Just curious.

PhilThib

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:43 pm

IIRC the French foreign legion has its own graphics and symbols, so that is most likely the 1860-1870 uniforms presented. This said, as the Mexican campaign concerned very small size units of the FE, not sure we have it (or as a depleted brigade may be).

JohnSmirnov
Private

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:50 pm

PhilThib wrote:IIRC the French foreign legion has its own graphics and symbols, so that is most likely the 1860-1870 uniforms presented. This said, as the Mexican campaign concerned very small size units of the FE, not sure we have it (or as a depleted brigade may be).

I see. Thanks for another answer!

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Is there actually a scenario for the French Intervention in Mexico in civil war 2, or does it only appear as part of the campaign game?

If there is such a scenario, where do you find it?

And if it appears only as part of the campaign game, does the Union or the Confederacy control the French troops?

Any replay will be appreciated, as I am very interested in this conflict.

PhilThib

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:50 pm

No specific scenario, it only appears as part of the campaign scenario, at the historical date (more or less a few weeks). The only time it does not appear - as such - is in the case France already joined the CSA through the Foreign Intervention

But in both cases, CSA controls French units and USA controls Mexican Republican forces. However, as of now, this ends here...no actual campaigning really takes place in Mexico, it's all OMB combat and event controlled. In other words, you don't play the Mexican campaign (as it is NOT the purpose or scope of the CW2 game). This is planned for a future expansion though.

JohnSmirnov
Private

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:04 pm

PhilThib wrote:No specific scenario, it only appears as part of the campaign scenario, at the historical date (more or less a few weeks). The only time it does not appear - as such - is in the case France already joined the CSA through the Foreign Intervention

But in both cases, CSA controls French units and USA controls Mexican Republican forces. However, as of now, this ends here...no actual campaigning really takes place in Mexico, it's all OMB combat and event controlled. In other words, you don't play the Mexican campaign (as it is NOT the purpose or scope of the CW2 game). This is planned for a future expansion though.

Oh, Civil War 2 has French Intervention In Mexico scenario? I thought only ACW has it....

Oh, wait, you plan a new expansion for Civil War 2? Interesting.
Last edited by JohnSmirnov on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:54 am

PhilThib wrote:No specific scenario, it only appears as part of the campaign scenario, at the historical date (more or less a few weeks). The only time it does not appear - as such - is in the case France already joined the CSA through the Foreign Intervention

I would love to see and buy that expansion. The French intervention in Mexico was a very interesting and unique war, and I have enjoyed two boardgames that cover it, as well as conquering Mexico as part of a PON campaign, which was actually quite challenging, especially the logistics.

Return to “General discussions”