seathom
Colonel

Are certain threads safe?

Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:38 am

Can anyone tell me if certain threads are safe to go into. The ones that worry me, and I immediately jump out of them for fear of identity theft are 1) the posts that appear to be in the Russian Cyrillac language without the [RUS] message by the posters name and 2) the ones that appear to be sales plugs in very stilted English and often just a hodgepodge of words?

I don't know how vigilant AGEOD is in internet safety. Hopefully the safeguards are good, as I would suspect from the quality of all AGEOD endeavors. I may just be oversensitive and realize much of the responsibility lies with me, but can anyone qualm my fears?

Owl
Major

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:36 am

They are safe, the messages are just very annoying, especially when a thread you have been following has new replies and you realize it's only spam. Should they link to something, you should not click on the links though, obviously. You have no interest in buying whatever they are selling anyway.

Still, they are annoying. There are some mechanisms in the forum's software that can be turned on to make it more difficult for bots to sign up, hopefully they'll be looked into to avoid massive spam as happened today.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:20 am

In bottom-left of a spam/advert post, click on the small triangle to report it.
To report one per offensive user should suffice.

seathom
Colonel

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:15 pm

Owl, thanks for the input.

ERISS, thanks for the info. I tried it out on an offensive and off-topic post and it worked very efficiently.

PhilThib

Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:02 pm

I banned a RUS bot that created a hundred cyrillic threads tonight. We usually clean that kind of mess when we find one. Most of the time, those bots just add a few posts to existing threadings (they go after those showing the bigger traffic). You'll probably be safe everywhere here.... big (AGEOD) brother is watching ;)

seathom
Colonel

Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks Philippe; do you guys ever sleep? ;)

Carnium

Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:09 pm

PhilThib wrote:I banned a RUS bot that created a hundred cyrillic threads tonight. We usually clean that kind of mess when we find one. Most of the time, those bots just add a few posts to existing threadings (they go after those showing the bigger traffic). You'll probably be safe everywhere here.... big (AGEOD) brother is watching ;)

Can his messages also be auto-deleted as they are kinda annoying :)

PhilThib

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:38 am

Not, unfortunately it must be manual when it exceeds 51 posts...did it again this morning

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:07 pm

PhilThib wrote:Not, unfortunately it must be manual when (edited)...did it again this morning

This should not be written in clear here, I think. Not good to give your engine rules to masters of spam bots.

Return to “General discussions”