Franciscus

Ultimate General: Gettysburg

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi

This game, made by "DarthMod" (those of you that played RTW back in the days will for sure remember his great mods) is a really good and fun game, IMHO

Visually beautiful (stunning, IMHO), great and fun RTS (pausable) gameplay, and a very good depiction of Gettysburg battle. It has not the depth of Scourge of War games, but can be played and enjoyed in short gaming sessions.

I would say a must buy for American Civil War fans and a worthy sucessor of Sid Meyer's Gettysburg, of course.

And it costs only 11,99€ in Steam - and plays in Mac, too :thumbsup:

Cheers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

richfed

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:03 pm

I second that ...it is like a dream come true, having a Sid Meier's-type game back on my computer!!

anjou
Lieutenant

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:09 pm

I've tried it out. While it's great to have another ACW game, the pace and strategy leaves a lot to be desired.

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Beautifull game.. fun and deep..

Sir Garnet

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:16 am

It is in the Sid Meier traditions of giving the look and feel of fighting, acting and deciding in the game context (and under fog of war, uncertainty, and tempo). It is objectively a good game and I like the priority on making a capable AI opponent as well as the concept of turning Gettysburg into a mini-campaign with lots of alternative paths (good choice, that).

The maneuver elements are brigade (in battle line or column) and battery, with manipulation of internal brigade formations not allowed. A practical and good idea to simplify matters for the AI and use processing time effectively, as is the choice of the Civil War, without the need to model complex combined arms interactions as in the Napoleonic Wars.

The relatively simple combined arms also makes a large battle manageable without pausing, such as in multiplayer where time really is of the essence and the importance of a fast OODA loop and gaining tempo is easily seen (though not on the level of Command HQ for training in that set of mind).

The controls are pretty simple and straightforward. The ability to drag movement paths on the map and give position orders in Total War fashion, and to do many things in several different ways, makes it easy to play. I think UGG a fun and appropriate intro to wargaming for its accessibility, replayability, and the appeal of an iconic battle.

Return to “General discussions”