Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Running AGEOD Games under Linux

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 pm

I haven't played much since last year when I self-built a new PC and installed Linux Mint on it (my old PC still works, albeit very very slowly, and have needed a new PC for a few years but kept putting off buying a new one because I was sick of Microsoft, and didn't want to spend any money on buying the latest version which had had bad reviews anyway). I was able to install numerous games on Virtual Box or via WINE, but neither seems to work perfectly, for reasons I can't determine. Pride of Nations for example installs fine on both VB & WINE, but falls over in a heap due to some graphics issue on VB and the words on the units in WINE look like gobbledegook.

I would like to get the new Civil War game but am a bit reluctant to splash the cash if I can't get the game working. Has anybody got it working under Linux yet?

Cheers

Peter

andatiep

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Oh ! An other free man in this MS/Windows Gaming World :w00t: !

I do play RUS or ROP with Mint or Ubuntu GNU/LinuX systems, using Wine.

But i still didn't try with ACW2. :confused:
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

AACW 2 under Linux/WINE

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:56 pm

andatiep wrote:Oh ! An other free man in this MS/Windows Gaming World :w00t: !

I do play RUS or ROP with Mint or Ubuntu GNU/LinuX systems, using Wine.

But i still didn't try with ACW2. :confused:

I took the plunge and bought it anyway. I installed it under WINE, and fired it up, and played one turn and it seems okay thus far... Looks good unlike PON (I can read the units names etc. and no jumbled text so far). I will have to give it a good work out this week and see how it plays...

Rafiki

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:12 pm

:thumbsup:

If you need to do any configuration changes etc, it would be highly appreciated if you share them on these forums :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

helm123
Private

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:16 pm

I have cw2 running in Ubuntu 12.04 with wine as well. Loads painfully slow and I haven't extensively tested It. I'd love to see a native port to Linux of the AGEOD titles.

Steam is charting new territory here with support for Linux thought the steam store and their newly announce SteamOS for a new console.

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Well I played a couple of turns of the New Mexico scenario, only to find that none of the units actually appeared on the map! I could build units, and see the units in the new panel without issues. It did take me a couple of turns before I noticed that something wasn't quite right! However, I installed it in one of my Virtual Boxes (which runs XP) and I could see the units moving in the map, and see them actually sitting in the towns (which I couldn't before under WINE!) I will see how the rest of it runs in VB now rather than in WINE.

I see the new Spanish Civil War game is published today. Now that looks very interesting too! If CW2 works okay within VB will probably purchase that too...

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:10 pm

Wine has difficulties with the dds graphics that are used in the newer Ageod titles. Although the engine works fine per se, it crashes when certain graphics are to be displayed. Or at least it is that way in PON and what you say here indicates that it is the case with CW2, too. To a minor degree though.
"I am here already.", said the hedgehog to the hare.

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:44 pm

I've been trying to play the game in an XP VirtualBox under Linux. It's been working quite well, up to when I have a battle when it gives up the ghost. Can't find the log files, to see what errors have been produced, have they moved? I tried a couple of the battle scenarios, the first ran okay, but Shiloh has been falling over in a heap when I get the battle results screen up. Would like to figure out whether it's a VB issue, or XP itself. Any ideas? Cheers

andatiep

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 pm

I don't know about virtual box, but running RUS or ROP with Wine, i had the same graphical problems untill i told Wine to emulate a Windows 7 instead of a default Windows XP.

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:30 pm

andatiep wrote:I don't know about virtual box, but running RUS or ROP with Wine, i had the same graphical problems untill i told Wine to emulate a Windows 7 instead of a default Windows XP.

With WINE I couldn't even see the units on the map! Virtual Box looks fine, though it keeps falling over in a heap. Have determined to my satisfaction that it is VB and not XP as I installed CW2 on my old XP PC and it works fine, with no issues (albeit the install took an age, and even the turns in the battle scenario take a longish time). Not sure what to do now. Ho hum.

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Tried various mods to the WINE configuration (including Win 98, 7 & 8 emulation) to no avail, and various other mods. Tried various set-ups in the AGE config, also with no success. Oh well. Looks like I won't be able to play the game, which is a real shame. It looks great, and I think it has been improved in numerous ways.

andatiep

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Knight of the Realm wrote:Tried various mods to the WINE configuration (including Win 98, 7 & 8 emulation) to no avail, and various other mods. Tried various set-ups in the AGE config, also with no success. Oh well. Looks like I won't be able to play the game, which is a real shame. It looks great, and I think it has been improved in numerous ways.

Don't cry :feu: :p leure:.... at least you still can play RUS or ROP with us... :neener: .
There is not only ACW2 in the life :thumbsup: .

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:04 am

andatiep wrote:Don't cry :feu: :p leure:.... at least you still can play RUS or ROP with us... :neener: .
There is not only ACW2 in the life :thumbsup: .

Not with WINE on my system I'm afraid! At least not so far. Same problem with RUS as with CW2.

andatiep

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Knight of the Realm wrote:Not with WINE on my system I'm afraid! At least not so far. Same problem with RUS as with CW2.

?? I'm using currently a Linux Mint 14 with a basic Wine from its default repositories and it's going well (checked Windows 7 emulation). A little more slow to run the turn/AI than with MS/Windows, but it's still OK.
Maybe it's your hardware ?

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:44 am

andatiep wrote:?? I'm using currently a Linux Mint 14 with a basic Wine from its default repositories and it's going well (checked Windows 7 emulation). A little more slow to run the turn/AI than with MS/Windows, but it's still OK.
Maybe it's your hardware ?

Yeah, well, I'm running Linux Mint 14 too, perhaps it is the hardware, graphics card possibly? What Desktop are you using?

andatiep

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 am

Knight of the Realm wrote:Yeah, well, I'm running Linux Mint 14 too, perhaps it is the hardware, graphics card possibly? What Desktop are you using?

My laptop config' (i'm even not sure if Mint is using the 2nd graphic card, the NVIDIA, while runing Wine) :

Code: Select all

golgoth@golgoth-pc ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0fd9 (rev a1)
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4)
05:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5289 (rev 01)
05:00.2 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 0a)

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:31 am

Oh well. completely different hardware to mine, but I'm not sure how that helps!

ROP almost works with WINE, but won't process a turn. I get an error message that says it can't access due to the OS locking the files...?

And WIA falls over in a complete heap before even getting to the Game menu.

I can see that I might just have to give up! Frustrating, but that's life I guess.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 am

Depending on your hardware you can try running it in a vmware client.

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 am

Citizen X wrote:Depending on your hardware you can try running it in a vmware client.

Vmware? Okay thanks I will look into that.

I have several virtualbox installs, which almost works...!

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:52 am

Andatiep, I wonder if PON is working really perfect on your machine in WINE, no font gibberish, for instance in the elements list of a unit and if your WINE is using only builtin dll's or if you are using a native directx or any other native dll.

btw: gotta love Hugo Pratt

andatiep

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Citizen X wrote:Andatiep, I wonder if PON is working really perfect on your machine in WINE, no font gibberish, for instance in the elements list of a unit and if your WINE is using only builtin dll's or if you are using a native directx or any other native dll.

I don't have PON, so i never tested it with Wine. But i guess it is not working well : to many stuff to manage for Wine. It's already going slow with other AGE game, so with PON... :blink:

I didn't trick Wine, i just chose Win7 instead of default WinXP in the Wine emulation.
I spend to much time to try to run AACW with Wine when the first Ubuntu distros arrived years ago. I'm getting lazy now and it should works "out of the box" or i give up ;) . I think the main problem is with the hardware, and i advise anyone to try with recent hardware, together with the last Ubuntu or Mint GNU/Linux distros which are supposed to have the best drivers.

Citizen X wrote:btw: gotta love Hugo Pratt

:) Nice Danakil warrior comics "personnage", isn't it ? But i should admit that i better won't meet Cush during a trek tour in the desert... :cool: .

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:09 pm

I also took the risk and purchased Espana 1936, and it falls over into great big heaps with both Wine and Virtualbox! VB doesn't get beyond loading 86% textures, and Wine just falls over, get an error message and then it just loops. Ho hum. Will really have to look at Vmware I think...

However. compared to many of the other AGEOD games it runs comparatively quickly on my old XP PC and I can easily switch between that and my current PC whilst it starts and runs through game turns (which actually seem fast when compared to the likes of PON & CW2).

Return to “General discussions”