Hobbes

Windows 8

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:57 pm

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:50 am

:laugh: Steam wants an open system to better close it.
Steam on Linux: putting a DRM on an open system (which was made to counter this big DRM Windows is), what a big troll this Gabe!

I'm at first happy with Steam trapped in their DRM phylosophy, but wonder about the few who sell 'DRM-free games' on Windows, like GOG.

the_dovlets
Private

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 pm

As a Linux user I am quite happy that Steam is building a native Linux client and supporting game development under Linux. That being said I share some of the criticism towards Steam.
For AGEOD games it does not make a big difference, with the unfortunate exception of PON all the AGEOD games run well under wine.

Franciscus

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Maybe this can be the end of Windows-dependence of games ? (and the beginning of a Windows-free world ? :neener :) .

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Franciscus wrote:Maybe this can be the end of Windows-dependence of games ? (and the beginning of a Windows-free world ? :neener :) .

But that still is a DRM-dependancy. Steam DRM will replace Windows one. A monopoly for another... Nothing good.
I just hope Steam will leave Windows, as for now Steam is a DRM build upon an other one. Give me back my games on (my free :siffle :) Windows only, Steam go away!

StephenT
Sergeant

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Steam isn't DRM. Some games sold through Steam have DRM, but then some games sold through GoG have DRM too.

The worrying trend here is that if Microsoft get their way, then in a few years' time you won't be able to buy AGEOD games on the PC at all, except through the Microsoft store at a 30% markup (the extra profits going to Microsoft, of course).

Estes87
Civilian

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Well that's truly an interesting article, thanks for sharing it!

freecheckersgame.net

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:17 am

but then some games sold through GoG have DRM too.

Totally wrong. None game are protected by DRM when sold on GOG.

StephenT wrote:Steam isn't DRM. Some games sold through Steam have DRM,

I thought you needed a Steam account to install/reinstall and/or play a game, once you bought it.
If Steam is no longer a DRM, that is very good news!

But you're right, we are lucky being able not buying Ageod games through Steam. Microsoft would 'correct' this by taking place in this missing market of Steam.

DaiMonPaul
Private

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:17 pm

ERISS wrote:
I thought you needed a Steam account to install/reinstall and/or play a game, once you bought it.
If Steam is no longer a DRM, that is very good news!

It depends on the game; some games force you to launch the game from Steam and to have it run while you play. Other games (Paradox's CK2 comes to mind) only require you to have Steam to download and update the game. You can copy the game to a different directory on your computer and launch it outside of Steam, if you choose.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:07 pm

DaiMonPaul wrote:It depends on the game; Paradox's CK2 only require you to have Steam to download and update the game.

Updating by Steam only is still a kind of DRM, even lighter. When not DRMed, you should be able to re-install and update without needing Steam, once you bought it. GOG exemple: you buy through their site, you DL the game, but afterward you don't need GOG (nor other third-system) to reinstall and update their games.
I see Steam only make its drm lighter for games sold DRM-free elsewhere, competition is better than monopoly..:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CK2/crusader-kings-ii
Yes, Windows 8 should more broke some freedom.
Let's hope we could teach Microsoft a lesson for a better Windows 9. But I'm not optimistic, when I see pc gamers letting Steam eat the market, and so removing freedom from us.
But, as competition, I would tolerate Steam if it were a better OS than Windows and not more protected from us than Windows is.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Microsoft and Skydrive related. So watch out what you put in it !
Actually if they managed to increase the size of depot, game installations can also fit in there. Much better than keeping on hard drive.

StephenT
Sergeant

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:02 pm

ERISS wrote:Totally wrong. None game are protected by DRM when sold on GOG..
No, you're wrong. I have two games bought from GoG.com which both have DRM embedded within them. GoG didn't add the DRM; the original manufacturer put it there, and GoG didn't take it out. Still, it's there.

Return to “General discussions”