Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Hobbes wrote: If you are in the area tomorrow night please pop in for a slice!

I'm a little far away from there, but thanks a lot for your kind invitation, my friend! :)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:58 pm

[SIZE="3"]Teeee, hee-hee-hee-heeeeee![/size] :evilgrin:

[SIZE="1"](Oops. :o That was supposed to be my evil "Bwah, ha-ha-ha!" kind of laugh, but my voice is kinda high and squeaky and, well... just use your imagination a little, OK?)[/size]

So! ...Would anyone care to dance with a sweet little Queen...? :) I'm wearing my most lovely shroud, and my normally beautiful face is pale with the ashen pallor of the crypt... but if you don't mind all that, then I suggest that we join together in a Danse Macabre! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM

I hope everybody's Halloween is their safest, happiest, and most delightful, ever! :) Don't eat too much candy! ;)

Aphrodite Mae

Ps...

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 pm

[SIZE="5"]...Boo!![/size]

[SIZE="1"]...Did I scare ya?![/size]

:D
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]
Aphrodite Mae

Hobbes

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:33 pm

I would love a dance my dear - although I am a little rusty :p apy:

Hobbes

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:38 pm

As it is Halloween I thought a few demons and bare bottoms were called for!

For the traditionalists :-

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blindworm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO ALL!
Attachments
Cauldron.jpg
Cauldron.jpg (114.16 KiB) Viewed 6114 times
Departure_of_the_Witches.jpg
Departure_of_the_Witches.jpg (224.93 KiB) Viewed 6117 times

dooya

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:53 pm

Hobbes wrote:As it is Halloween I thought a few demons and bare bottoms were called for!
[...]
Hobbes, please behave. Halloween is about BOOOOOOO, not BOOOOOBS! :D
No quote - No bullshit!

Hohenlohe

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:29 pm

Hobbes wrote:As it is Halloween I thought a few demons and bare bottoms were called for!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO ALL!

Dear Hobbes this looks like some Bacchanalic Orgiastic scene with succubii...

or how was it told by dooya you show us no BOOOO but BOOOBS...*grin*

its my first halloween greeting have a nice halloween altogether...

Hohenlohe who dreams better without halloween ghosts in mind...*grin* :wacko:
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm

dooya wrote:Hobbes, please behave. Halloween is about BOOOOOOO, not BOOOOOBS! :D

:mdr: :mdr: :mdr:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN to everybody!! :wacko: ;) :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Hahah, Hobbes, that is a rather titillating painting! Is it just my dirty mind or is that demon in the lower right hand corner trying to pinch that old crone's bottom? ;)

I'm curious - who here dressed up for Hallowe'en, and what did you dress up as? I went as a plague doctor, although nobody figured it out - the closest guess I got was Spy vs. Spy :)
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jim-NC

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Plague doctor's a bit obscure for most folks nowadays. Most of the younger ones can't even name Rosie the Riveter (I had a friend dress up for that, and no one under 30 got who she was).

It's a crying shame, but there it is. Happy halloween.

P.S. I just got the first couple of kids by the house.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hobbes

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:38 pm

Plague doctor - great idea! We didn't dress up but my wife (who is American) decided to dress up the house and show the Brits how Halloween should be done.
Apart from the pumpkins etc we even had an animatronic ghost that scared a few of the younger ones.

To close, a few pictures of Highgate cemetery. A very atmospheric place to visit if you ever find yourself in London.

Attachments
H3.jpg
H3.jpg (304.86 KiB) Viewed 6107 times
H2.jpg
H2.jpg (81.66 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
H1.jpg
H1.jpg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 6104 times

Hobbes

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Attachments
H6.jpg
H6.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
H5.jpg
H5.jpg (163.35 KiB) Viewed 6108 times
H4.jpg
H4.jpg (110.96 KiB) Viewed 6105 times

Dixicrat
General

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:41 am

Those pictures of Highgate are beautiful, Hobbes. Thanks for sharing them. The ones in your last post are touching, though, to the point of poignancy.

I gather that Highgate is very old. Thoughts of ancient cemeteries reminds me of an old "army days" story that's appropriate for Halloween.

Years ago during my first tour of duty in Germany (before I met A.M.), a few buddies and I headed downtown to Bobligen to have a few beers and carouse with the local women. We stayed out until very late, and when we were heading back to the barracks at about 1 a.m., we decided to take a shortcut through a section of town that we normally didn't frequent.

As it turned out, our path took us into an ancient part of the city, and we discovered a huge cemetery that was surrounded by very high hedge rows. The occasional glimpses we caught of the cemetery's interior was rather foreboding. It was pretty obvious that the place had quit taking new occupants hundreds of years ago. To sum it up, the place was extremely creepy to a handful of young American soldiers who were somewhat intoxicated.

Matters weren't made any better by the fact that there was a section of the street where a streetlight was out (a very rare thing in 1980's Germany). And so, there we were... walking through the eerie darkness, past an extremely creepy cemetery. Everyone got really quiet, and I'm guessing that we probably picked up the pace, a little bit.

You know how, in the movies, they always say that a place was, "Quiet. Too quiet." Well, that's where we were. That's when the guy at the front of our little group slowed just a little, and started to turn toward the rest of us, to say something over his shoulder.

"You know, this place gives me the cree-..."
He never finished his sentence.

Suddenly, his body violently jolted toward the hedge, right beside him, and with a blood curdling scream, he kicked and thrashed as he began to submerge into the sinister darkness of the hedge. His screams sounded like he was being eaten alive by something. Oh, Lord, we were both shocked, and absolutely terrified!

At least, for a couple of seconds. That's when we realized that he was laughing like a maniac at our reactions. Of course, he'd deliberately lunged into the hedge, screaming. All it took was our heightened edginess and the dark and creepily sinister atmosphere to be totally taken in by his prank. :D

Happy Halloween, everyone! :)
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]
Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:48 am

@Jim-NC: Yup, I wasn't expecting much in the way of recognition, but I had a lot of fun confusing people by pointing at their armpits with my stick, accusing them of sickening me with their foul odours and asking them to show me their buboes. Incidentally, my wife entertained the idea of dressing as Rosie the Riveter - but this year she went as Ripley from the Alien movies, complete with a life-size Queen alien bursting out of her chest - at least people recognized that one! (Can you tell we are both big nerds?)

@Hobbes: Love the pictures! I've been to London, but didn't have time for Highgate - I would love to visit someday! I even recognize one or two of the tombstones there - certainly Tom Sayers and his loyal dog, the angels look familiar too, but then they tend to look alike.

@Dixicrat: That's a cute story, thanks for sharing! Reminds me of my dad's misadventures when he was with the RCAF in Germany. Speaking of parents, I've got another funny story: since I spent exactly nine months in the womb, I have the dubious distinction of knowing the precise date of my conception - 31 October, of course! I'd rather not think too much about what they were dressed as! :blink:
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

Le Ricain

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:28 am

One of the more well known residents of Highgate Cemetary is Karl Marx. Also, Dickens' wife, brother and parents are buried there. He, of course, is resting in Westminster Abbey.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Aphrodite Mae

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:57 pm

John Sedgwick wrote:Hahah, Hobbes, that is a rather titillating painting! Is it just my dirty mind or is that demon in the lower right hand corner trying to pinch that old crone's bottom? ;)

For some reason, that made me think of the old Steve Miller song, "Abracadabra". Remember...?

"Abra, Abracadabra!
I wanna reach out an' grab ya!"

:D

Here's the link to the tune, in case you've forgotten it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QyoRzZrF00

Hobbes

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Just thought I would use this thread as an example of the many missing images since the forum change. Are the images lost to the forum forever?
If so why are the images posted using the same method on the AAR threads still visible?

Cheers,
Chris

Return to “General discussions”