Vote on the following

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:03 pm

Frederick the Great campaigns (1740 to 1763)
27%
War in the British Isles (Civil War, Jacobite Wars)
18%
Thirty Years War (1618 to 1648)
31%
Mexico (Indep., US-Mexico, French Intervention)
8%
Taïping (War in China in the 19th century)
8%
Libertadors (Latin America early 19th century)
8%

Total votes: 131
PhilThib

What other (mini) games from AGEOD in the future

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi All,

We want to have your opinion on some game ideas that are running here and there as potential games from AGEOD in the future (games on which we already have some data).

We call this type of games mini because we want to use 90% of the existing BOA / AACW engine, adapted to the thema, with of course brand new scenarios, thema and graphics...

Among the subjects hanging around, we have

- Frederick the Great campaigns (1740 to 1763)
- War in the British Isles (English Civil War, Jacobite Rebellions - 1640 to 1750)
- Thirty Years War (1618 to 1648)
- Mexico (Independance, US-Mexico, French Intervention)
- Taïping (War in China in the 19th century)
- Libertadors (Latin American independence wars of early 19th century)

Just vote as you like :coeurs:

PS: it does not mean we shall not handle other subjects (Napoleonic, WW2, etc... but they will come as new standalone BIG games... :indien: )

Nathaniel
Private

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:00 pm

When do you think any of these would be produced?
The Thirty Years War and the Frederick the Great would seem to be ideal subjects for the BoA game engine.

flintlock
Captain

Friedrich der Große

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:46 pm

These all sound great, any of which would be fantastic with BoA's evolving engine. Personally, my vote goes to the exploits of der alte Fritz!

:p ouet:

Sol Invictus

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:32 am

I would love to see all of these conflicts get the AGEOD treatment except for Taiping and Libertadors. I have absolutely no interest in these two conflicts/eras.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:03 am

I think both Fred the great and Latin America are both logical sucessors to BoA, and both would be great, but my vote has to go to Libertadors for the neglected time period/cool historical flavor factors
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

-Thomas Paine

WallysWorld
Captain

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:10 am

I voted for the War in the British Isles option, but really, any of the choices would truly interest me with the Ageod engine.

Lafrite

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:23 am

WallysWorld wrote:I voted for the War in the British Isles option, but really, any of the choices would truly interest me with the Ageod engine.

Same opinion, i voted for British Isles and China.

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:01 pm

I cant decide so I think I will not vote since all of them are perfect :p leure: It is like to choose to get a free truckload of gold, diamonds or platinum delivered to your door.
"Saw steamer, strafed same, sank same, some sight, signed smith" From "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.

redcoat2
Sergeant

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:41 pm

I voted for a 'British Civil Wars' game - but I am also very interested in the Frederick the Great, 30YW and Mexico options.

PDF

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:20 pm

I prefer international European wars, so voted for Frederick and Thirty Years wars ;)

Willard
Private

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:05 pm

My preference would be for a game set in the Napoleonic Wars.
All those armies!
All those navies!
All those different countries to choose from!

That would be perfect!
[color="Red"]Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins they gave me one.[/color]

What I am not looking forward to is the "we can always release a patch later" quality control that has crippled the PC gaming industry. If I wanted a job as a game debugger, I would have paid more attention in math class.

saintsup
Captain

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:11 pm

Your three most popular propositions are more on the BOA 'product line'.

What about the war to free italy from austria or the prussian-austrian war (sadowa, ...) they are more contemporaneous of the ACW and will make proper use of all the progress you made for this game (rail, mobilization, ...)

Smirfy
Civilian

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:22 pm

The engine is made for the ECW or any of Louis XIV's wars

oi_you_nutter
Corporal

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:44 am

would the physical scale of china or south america work ? or will there be too many regions to give any type of strategic choices.

the English Wars would be my favourite choice

followed by the 30 Years War and Frederick the Great. these two would probably be the most commercially viable choices.

Carrington
Captain

Counter-insurgency

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:23 am

I find BOA most interesting because it does a great job at illustrating the problems of a counter-insurgency. (Though I like the supply and plotting aspects as well).

As such, I'd be tempted to suggest Vietnam 65-75, or the Irish Revolt in 1919 as neat situations.

Also, potentially, the Russian Revolution?

The Expatriate
Civilian

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:02 am

Frederick the Great? The 30 Years War? *Yaaawn* I'm surprised to see that these scenarios are getting so many votes. I would think gaming these theaters would only appeal to people who eat oatmeal 3 times a day, look foward everyday to watching the weather report on TV, and are only "romantic" with the lights off.

*sighs* De gustibus non disputandum est, I guess. :innocent:

While I would settle for a War in China or an ECW game, here are two ideas for some intrinsically interesting (IMHO) games that would teach people about history and cultures that isn't always covered in Western textbooks...and more importantly, get my credit card out in a second!

• The Birth of Siam ([1767-1809] Covering Taksin the Great's and Rama the First's campagins against the Burmese, Cambodians, Laotians, and the Northern Thai Kingdoms.) Cannons mounted on War Elephants, need I say more?
  • The Raj ([1773-1850] The expansion of the British East India Company vs. the Mughal Empire. The French, Dutch, and Portuguese could be included as well.) A mini-game could be made from the Sepoy Rebellion alone.
Those are just two ideas off the top of my head. The point is that perhaps we should be reading more pages in our atlases other than the "Europe" section.

PhilThib

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:12 pm

The Expatriate wrote:
  • The Raj ([1773-1850] The expansion of the British East India Company vs. the Mughal Empire. The French, Dutch, and Portuguese could be included as well.) A mini-game could be made from the Sepoy Rebellion alone.
Those are just two ideas off the top of my head. The point is that perhaps we should be reading more pages in our atlases other than the "Europe" section.

I share this analysis...although the commercial part in me does not :bonk:

As for the Raj subject, it is on my project list as a BOA expansion, but I do not have sufficient data to date to put it in a possible 2007 production :p leure:

Donegal
Corporal

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:17 pm

Notice lack of turn based wargames of the ancient period,both strategic and tactic level. I think it would be a good idea for standalone game.
I cant even remember one strategic level wargame. (total war doesnt count of course) :siffle:

arsan

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:35 pm

I voted for 30 years war, Libertadores and Frederick teh Great...

But what i really want is:

-Ancient (Punic wars, Greece/Persian wars, Peloponesian wars... anything would be COOL!!)
-Napoleonic (peninsular war, italian campaigns...)
Cheers

Arsan

Nathaniel
Private

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:15 pm

Those Ancient Wars would be very cool, and how about The Northern Wars 1558-1721 [Peter the Great, Charles XII of Sweden, the rise of Muscovy/Russia ] , The Hundred Years War [a French victory], or the Reconquista of Spain.
The BoA strategic game system seems ideal for these wars that took place over a large area.

PhilThib

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:29 pm

We know there are hundred of interesting subjects around.

For the time being, the engine needs adaptation before we can deal with pre-modern themas (i.e. everything before the 1600's+)...nor can we deal with subject post 1914 now (missing the flight stuff....)..

So, unfortunately, stick your dreams to the 1600-1900 period...

..and, btw, do not include Napoleonic stuff...it may come as a separate game later on :sourcil:

Spharv2

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:29 pm

One thing the game needs to do some of these is the concept of a country or force switching sides.

Oh, and add in a vote for Russian Civil war, or ancient battles. I wouldn't mind seeing the Peloponesian or Persian wars done. Or some of the unification wars in China.

Edit - Okay, going within your time frame, how about the Russo Japanese war? It could be the second game on the war recently, but the first one including the land war. :)

Nathaniel
Private

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:59 pm

1600-1900
Well there is plenty of scope there, not exactly a peaceful time.
War of the Spanish Succession with Marlborough and his victories at Blenheim etc. would seem to be a good match.

The Expatriate
Civilian

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:20 pm

PhilThib wrote:I share this analysis...although the commercial part in me does not :bonk:

As for the Raj subject, it is on my project list as a BOA expansion, but I do not have sufficient data to date to put it in a possible 2007 production :p leure:

I agree that a game based on, say China's "Ten Great Campaigns" [1755-1792] would be too obscure to be viable, but I'm not so sure that non-Eurocentric scenarios aren't commerical viable for a computer-based wargame. You have to admit the Sengoku period of Japan has been a pretty popular topic, I'm thinking of games like Shogun: Total War and Koei's excellent Nobunaga's Ambition series. (Indeed, it was Koei's Ghenghis Khan series that sparked my interest in wargaming.) Also, China's Three Kingdom's period has also produced a few titles.

It's the 21th century and Asia as a lot of "cool" value right now. :)

runyan99

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:48 am

I'd like to be positive, but I just cannot get excited about any of the 6 suggestions offered. As wargaming topics are concerned, these are among the most obscure available. I have to believe that the team's time would be better spent on another project with broader appeal.

Elmo
Captain

Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Any chance we'll see a remake of a Pax Romana style game using the BoA engine and without the bastards at Dreamcrusher publishing it? I really loved that game and wished it had succeeded.

Nathaniel
Private

Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:27 pm

runyan99 wrote:I'd like to be positive, but I just cannot get excited about any of the 6 suggestions offered. As wargaming topics are concerned, these are among the most obscure available. I have to believe that the team's time would be better spent on another project with broader appeal.

Frederick the Great campaigns (1740 to 1763)
- War in the British Isles (English Civil War, Jacobite Rebellions - 1640 to 1750)
- Thirty Years War (1618 to 1648)
- Mexico (Independance, US-Mexico, French Intervention)
- Taïping (War in China in the 19th century)
- Libertadors (Latin American independence wars of early 19th century)

Apart from the Taiping War I don't think any of the others could be called obscure especially as we are constrained to 1600-1900.
Apart from the Napoleonic Wars :dada: which PhilThib has hinted would be covered later on, and the ACW they include they include the most significant wars in Europe and America during that period.

What other project had you in mind? Because I think 5 out of the 6 options would have a good market. Just my opinion. :innocent:
They have ruined my beautiful fort.
Colonel Alfred Rhett [commander Fort Sumter 1863]

runyan99

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:37 pm

Well, the team has hinted strongly that they intend to do a Napoleonic game, for example. If taking the time to put together a game about the Mexican War of Independence means that the Napoleonic game is delayed 4 months, to throw out a number, then I would suggest that isn't the best move. The Napoleonic game will sell better, and have a broader appeal. From a personal perspective, I'd rather have the Napoleonic game 4 months sooner. From a business perspective, I believe the revenues for those 4 months in question will be stronger with the Napoleonic game released versus any of the 6 choices.

PhilThib

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:58 pm

Those mini games would be made by ad-hoc new teams, including players who wish to invest time and money in them. The main team scheduled and workload is filled up their shoulders till 2010 with projects not listed here... :niark:

runyan99

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:54 pm

Ah, well if both can be done simultaneously by different teams, then there is no problem.

Return to “General discussions”