Nikel

Ageod games graphics and external modding

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 am

I was thinking on asking this via pm, but perhaps is better in the public forum ;)

So, the graphics included in any AGEod game, can be used to mod a game of another developer? It is not a poll of course, but some possibilities :D

- Not at all

- Only after asking PhilThib and sending him some bottles of wine :mdr:

- Better ask Paradox now

- Yes, you can if the link is not associated with the other company, not posted in his site, forum,...

- Yes, you can do it freely

PhilThib

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:56 am

I would say you can use them provided you clearly give us credit for the original creation :cool:

Nikel

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:05 pm

OK, thanks for the answer :)

I have not experience with HPS, but these days I have been messing with their Napoleonic Russian campaign, and the graphics are very bad, above all the portraits of the commanders. And could not find a mod that provided decent portraits.

But just asked because in my internet surfing of today found that somebody was using your NCP graphics, units and portraits :D

Edit: apparently they were old news and the links were already deleted? :blink:

Pocus

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:23 pm

The usual behavior is that as long as the man using the graphics is not charging anyone, this is fair ground. Courtesy demands though that you cite the company from which you are borrowing the graphics, and even better, if they can be reached, ask them if they don't mind.

For the rest, given that even companies very watchful over their assets don't say anything when fans use their arts for others purposes (for example the mod for Medieval Total War 'The Third Age' dealing with the War of the Ring, is using a lot of stuff both from the Peter Jackson movies and the Tolkien Company), I think permission can be granted too :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

caranorn

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:43 pm

The Tolkien estate can be a bit odd about such things. I know I tried to contact them about some relatively minor matters in my own writing. They never even bothered to reply. Considering how the material in question was in my opinion not copyrightable I decided to go ahead without their agreement...

As to games, what seems like ages ago, I made a lot of graphic mods (sprites, images even some interface art) for Civilization games (Civ-2, CTP-1, CTP-2, Civ-3) using original material from other games (AoE, AoK, Civ-3 etc.). At the time we didn't really bother to contact the original creators, but these days I'd do otherwise...
Marc aka Caran...

Halberdier
Sergeant

Mon May 24, 2010 6:06 pm

PhilThib

I ask for your specific permission to use graphics AGEOD to make a model of Latin American revolution :coeurs: that can be used exclusively for the free game called open-PanzerGeneral2.

You tube example (you can see AGEOD graphics here)

I tried to make this model to BOA but it gave up because the task overwhelmed me :( .

Bibliography:
*Mémoires du Général Morillo de ses CAMPAGNES EN AMÉRIQUE (french, free)

*REPUBLIQUES EN ARMES ; LES ARMEES DE BOLIVAR (french, 20 euro)

(Autor in you Tube)

Thank you Phil!
PS. perhaps this little model can get your attention, enjoy, and persuade to you to make a new game: Liberators of America from AGEOD :love:
Tell me something

PhilThib

Mon May 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Permission granted...please go on and keep us posted :thumbsup: :coeurs: :cool:

Halberdier
Sergeant

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Google Traslation of my post http://panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=47064

Hello PhilThib and friends!

Soon I will be finish my mod about hispanic american independence.

Well I have been reviewing the mod I'm doing, and after doing some tests I've made ​​some changes to give it a more strategic. The first thing I mean, first of all, that nothing would be possible without the Luis help, who has done everything possible (aside from convert the modding of Panzer General2 into another form of play.) Thank you very much to AGEOD for the permission to use its graphics, and thanks the excellent work that friends have done, especially Juankar and Santiago. I also realize that after all these years I'm still a lousy player Panzer2 yet here you have what I have done in the absence of values ​​to the EQP files and creating scenarios, and failures unless the image of the game and are working to start.

These first two screens of know her, are the intro and strategic vision. Employ the same map in order to create each scenario. Each of the scenarios intended to represent a year (12-18 turns) of the revolution, and at each turn 1 month (30-45 days), so for this first part (Empire counter-stricke) will make a campaign of 8 scenarios (between 1811-1818) in the same strategic map.

I decided to do so because, apart from the tactical battles XIX (you will not have this mod), in order to understand the full enormity of the American Revolution I think I need to play a macro-continental level.

Image: intro screen and strategic view map

Well pretend that the player knows every corner of the map, from Texas to Patagonia. A part of knowing that Acapulco and Veracruz are the costs, to become familiar with names like Barinas or Yucatan. And although this first edition of the map does not put you, the hexagons do have separate domains, but I think this being the same map does not know will cost the player quickly.

Image: Cabo de Hornos, Spanish naval crossing point at the lower end of the continent

As I said to be a mega-revolution, guerrilla warfare, sieges and naval battle acquire an important dimension. And this was one of the greatest difficulties in making tactical scenarios for these types of battles, which are precisely those less desirable to play the typical case of Panzer2 (at least for me). But raised to the proper dimension at the strategic level, I think then the greater the siege gameplay, naval guerrillas. Consistency was another of my concerns because in a guerrilla war, and regular troops dressed in the same way, it was difficult to see who is enemies and became a problem in the game. I used a blue background for the patriots and the Spanish red.

Image: Mexican guerrillas and riders face Spanish dragoons.

Logically there is no air war. But I have followed with Hard and Soft target target that fit closer to my vision of the wars of the XIX (Hard Target = closed formations or strengths, Soft Target: guerrilla formations or scattered, and finally the classic Naval combat / siege).

Well as I said earlier I'm a bad player, so it is certain that I will not balance settings, and the campaign that I can be very easy or very difficult, but what is certain is that stage to stage pretend that the player know the peculiarities of this war, its characters and key historical dates.

We're getting close, I'll keep you posted. Thanks and a big hug to everyone.

picture: the arrival of Spanish in Costa Firme expedionarios Venezuelan guerrillas loyal support.

When I finish the mod I put here a link to download. The map grid and the game play will be improved.

Thanks Phil

PD And if you like the mod I will make a second part with 7 scenarios of the latinamerican Liberators campaigns (1819-1826) to the independence victory from battles of Boyacá to Ayacucho.

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

yes!!!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:09 am

so great....can't wait....Venezuelian independance campaign !!!!!... :w00t:

PhilThib

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:58 am

If you want, I can find you an artist to improve the map, I'll just need the DB sources (map region cut) and original bitmpa. Contact me at pthibaut@ageod.net so I can explain you the how too ;)

Halberdier
Sergeant

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Phil,
I send you the map, but map size could be bigger in a next future: 60x70 (4200 hex) (3600 x 3475 pixels), instead of 40x45 (1800 hex ) (1920x1920 pixels) as it is now.

Panzer-General and Open-General uses Hex of 60x50 pixels, this means that for a 60x70 hex map it has a size:
60 columns x 60 pixels = 3600 pixels wide
70 columns x 50 pixels - 25 (half of column) = 3475 pixels high
What to subtract 25 (50 / 2) is because the columns displayed half-up and half-down.

Then, in a future the map should be 3600 x 3475 pixels at most. But now it is 1920 x 1920 pixels (that I send you).

Thank you very much Phil

PhilThib

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:32 pm

I have received it, we'll check that in the next coming days to see what could be done...what would be useful now would be for you to give for each "hex" you used the names they have and the terrain types :)

Halberdier
Sergeant

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:59 pm

Phil,
OK, I can make a bitmap with the terrain of each hexagon (is a constant property of the map). But the name of the hexagons is not a property of the map (changes with each scenario.) I will send you a picture the types of terrain of each hexagon:

Thanks!

PhilThib

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks...but in Ageod games, it is better that region games don't change...what you can change with scenarios is cities names, but not the regions... :confused:

Halberdier
Sergeant

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Yes, this is what I try to say.

In Panzer General a hex have unique terrain type (but no name). But in Panzer General each scenario have different victory hexes (with names). (I have not tried, but I think it is possible to name all the hex of the map).

I send you e-mail the original map (satellite) and a clean map, with hexes with terrain types.

(but you can do a new different map image, andwith editor I can do a new hex terrain types to the game).

Thank you

Halberdier
Sergeant

Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:09 am

OK you can download the mod here

https://sites.google.com/site/hispanicgeneral/

enjoy!

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

merci

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:48 pm

thank you so much Halberdier y Ageod :thumbsup: !!!!!!

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Just noticed this thread.

WIA covers wars and ultimately wars of independance in North America. It would be wonderful if there were a companion game that did the same for Central and South America.

And if you produced a Spanish edition and titled it Simon Bolivar, it would probably sell out in Venezuela.

The history of the independance movements of South America is not well known outside of the region, but the struggles were fascinating and deserving of treatment. And how could anyone who knows a little bit about history resist a game with leaders like Bolivar, San Martin, and O'Higgins ?

Return to “General discussions”