Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Is the gaming style debate really interesting?

Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:17 am

A strong and well built article by Jim Cobb about extremism in debating of 2D/3D, Turn based/RTS, etc wargames.

Something to read.

You'll find Jim's paper on Xtreme Gamer, here.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

MarkShot

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:20 am

jack19
Civilian

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:46 am

It is really interesting one...
I shall not post add in my sig.

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Good post Markshot.

I think there are a couple of levels of enjoyment that can be had in various games.

I still like to fire up Tropico for its unique aspects of gameplay and really cool music.

One aspect of games that is often overlooked is what could be called finish. BOA has spent some time making the game look good, without using over-the-top graphics. It almost has that tactile feel that some games collectors look for. I particulalry like the style of graphics used throughout BOA.

Cheers,

Carrington
Captain

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:05 pm

Agreed, these are games, not graphics packages.. And BOA looks like a really good game; well-thought out, well designed and, in the end, spare.

Someone said of boardgame design, "it's not done when you've put everything in, but rather when you've taken everything unnecessary out."

This is view of game design has been slow to catch on on the computer... I appreciate that AGEOD and SSG, particularly, have focused on games reflecting this principle -- knowing what not to do means having a strong concept of what you're doing.

Return to “General discussions”