Which is you preference for future AGEod games?

Antiquity Greek: Peloponnesian, Alexander the Great.
9%
Antiquity Roman: Punic, Cesar, Civil wars.
13%
Middle ages. Renaissance
9%
30 Years war
12%
NCP with Grand Campaign and production
13%
ACW, just in case it can be improved even more ;)
7%
WW1 with AGE engine
6%
WW2 East
3%
WW2 West
2%
WW2 Mediterranean and Africa
2%
WW2 Pacific
2%
WW2 Global
7%
Vietnam
5%
Fantasy: orcs, elves,...
2%
SF, space.
3%
Other, specify
3%
WW2, Europe only
2%

Total votes: 949
Generalisimo

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:52 pm

This deserves the following: Image
:thumbsup:

Obviously, there is no "easy" way to solve the lack of "pictures" for leaders... if it was hard to find "good" pictures for games like BOA or ROP... in here you will have to rely on statues... :blink:
But IMHO, you shouldn't worry about that first... that's a problem for the artist and the game designer, because it is a strict design decision... ;) :D
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

PhilThib

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:03 pm

For Ancient era games, helmets are perfect...no one can ever claim about pics or paintings...at best, for exceptional leaders, we might find statues...and reproduce them as such on the unit counter, would look nice ;)

Definitely we need a full map without off map boxes for a Peloponesian War...the one done by Beren is perfect in size... IF there would be OMBs, they can be there for far away areas that may have some 'secondary' interest in the game...like we did for ROP

PhilThib

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Hobbes wrote:I would be happy to help out with this, but I would like to get King William's War finished first.

Cheers, Chris

You are right. For what I have seen of the work in progress, it looks great :thumbsup: .

The nice stuff would be to get proper uniforms too (may be our friend PANGI when he is fed up with VGN uniforms ;) ). And I would love to see the face of my longtime hero, Louis de Buade de Frontenac :cool:

Generalisimo

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:10 pm

PhilThib wrote:For Ancient era games, helmets are perfect...no one can ever claim about pics or paintings...at best, for exceptional leaders, we might find statues...and reproduce them as such on the unit counter, would look nice ;)

... or generic faces, ala Rome/Medieval Total War. ;)
Each leader of your faction has a face... that's more or less a variation of another face... but at least, you can identify them... one has a beard, the other is bald, the other has a helmet and so on... ;) :D
Napoleon Bonaparte

dduff442
Private

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:37 pm

I've promised to provide sensor research for an open-source U-boat sim but have heard nothing back from them. I'll check back and if they still do not need my services I'll do some preliminary research on force strengths and finances.

This is from Wikipedia on the Battle of Naupactus which occurred in the narrow confines of the Gulf of Corinth. An Athenian force of 20 vessels was faced with no less than 77 ships of the Spartan alliance. The Spartans attacked and sank or grounded almost half the Athenian ships, forcing the rest to flee. Until things took an unlikely turn, that is. Here's the full story:

The 20 Athenian ships entered the gulf sailing in single file along the northern shore; the Messenian hoplites from Naupactus marched along the shore beside them. On the southern shore, the Peloponnesian fleet was sailing in four lines, parallel to the shore. On the right of these lines, leading the advance into the gulf, were the twenty best and fastest ships in the fleet, which had been assigned the job of preventing the Athenians from escaping when the Peloponnesians attacked.

Seeing the Athenians in the gulf and sailing in single file, the Cnemus gave the signal for his ships to attack. The Peloponnesian fleet turned at once and raced across the gulf at the Athenians. The Athenians attempted to flee, but only the 11 leading ships were able to slip around the Peloponnesian right wing and flee towards Naupactus; the remaining 9 were cornered, driven ashore, and captured, while the twenty elite Peloponnesian ships from the right wing set out after the fleeing Athenian 11.

10 Athenian ships reached Naupactus safely and took up positions at the mouth of the harbor, prows facing outwards, ready to defend against any attempt to enter the harbor. The last Athenian ship was fleeing towards the harbor, with the Peloponnesians (who were already chanting the victory paean) pursuing it closely, when it came alongside a merchant ship anchored outside the harbor. Using the merchant ship to protect its flanks while he turned, the Athenian captain spun his ship 270 degrees and rammed his leading pursuer in the side, sinking it. Although the Peloponnesians still held a great numerical advantage, the shock of this single action, which disheartened the Peloponnesian crews and reenvigorated the Athenians, proved sufficient to turn the tide of the battle. Confusion set in among the Peloponnesians; some rowers in leading ships dropped their oars to allow the main body to catch up with them—thus leaving themselves immobile and vulnerable in the face of an enemy force; other ships ran aground as a result of their captains' ignorance of the coastline. The 10 Athenian ships in the harbor rushed out and joined the attack, and the Peloponnesians were instantly routed. The Athenians captured 6 ships in the pursuit, and recovered all but one of their own ships which had been taken earlier. Although both sides claimed victory and set up trophies, it was clear who had won the battle;[9] the Peloponnesians, fearing the arrival of the Athenian reinforcements, retreated to Corinth under cover of darkness several days after the battle, and the Athenians continued to hold Naupactus and dominate the gulf.

Generalisimo

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:57 pm

I think some mod/admin should split all this "greek" discussion from this thread... before we flood this thread... :neener: :D
Napoleon Bonaparte

Hobbes

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks Philippe. Maybe I can twist an arm to get Frontenac sometime, I have Phips already ;)

I will look for a few books on the Peloponnesian War so if the project gets underway I will have some knowledge.

Cheers, Chris

Nikel

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:30 pm

Hobbes, when you requested it, also modified a portrait of Frontenac, but it looked very different, so did not post it

[ATTACH]9791[/ATTACH]

Generalisimo, yes, when the team is formed, create a new subforum and then hide it :D :(
Attachments
f1.png
f1.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 8382 times

Hobbes

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:45 pm

That's a great surprise! Thanks Nikel. I will add to the game and see how it looks alongside the others.

Many thanks, Chris

Nikel

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:53 pm

You will see he does not look good ;)

Anyway if you don't find something better, tell me and I will do the other portrait ;)

Hobbes

Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks Nikel, if he looks odd maybe I can change him one pixel at a time :)
I'll let you know - I've not done much with KWW for the past month or two, but will get back into it once the Christmas period is over.
I look forward to trying out the paint.NET program using your tutorial.

I think Nikel's tutorial would be a great thread to sticky in the general mods forum :-

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15629

We might get a few more people making art for games if they see this guide.

Cheers, Chris

Rafiki

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Hobbes wrote:I think Nikel's tutorial would be a great thread to sticky in the general mods forum :-

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15629

We might get a few more people making art for games if they see this guide.

[color="Blue"]Indeed. Good suggestion :) [/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Generalisimo wrote:I think some mod/admin should split all this "greek" discussion from this thread... before we flood this thread... :neener: :D

[color="Blue"]All "greek" posts posted in this thread lately have been copied to: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16000

Please continue the "greek" discussion there :) [/color]

(And Generalisimo, :neener: yourself ;) )

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Generalisimo

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Rafiki wrote:[color="Blue"]All "greek" posts posted in this thread lately have been copied to: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16000

Please continue the "greek" discussion there :) [/color]

(And Generalisimo, :neener: yourself ;) )

Thanks! :neener:

:thumbsup: :D
Napoleon Bonaparte

TheDoctorKing

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 pm

I voted for the WWII Global option. But if you are going to do antiquity, I would recommend a large geographical coverage and a wide variety of different conflicts that could be simulated. With a map covering the ancient "known world" from western Europe to India and potential coverage of two thousand years of history you could appeal to a lot of people.

Another thing I'd like to see is a game of the 18th-early 19th century Americas that covers the whole region and goes in time from the 7 Years' War up through the independence of Latin America. I was disappointed that BoA didn't have much about the rest of the Americas in it.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PascalB
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:12 am

I'd like to see the best Napoleonic great campaign game with production and events...
I think Ageod's engine is the appropriate one!

Congratz for your nice job guys! :thumbsup:

ham
Private

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:33 am

Vainglory of Nations , Rise of Prussia are announced a few yeas ago.
At this time they are not released.(I don't reprove)

At this time next project are not announced.
So...

Rafiki

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:17 pm

ham wrote:Vainglory of Nations , Rise of Prussia are announced a few yeas ago.
At this time they are not released.(I don't reprove)

Well, RoP's release is imminent (check out the demo already! :thumbsup :) , and work on VGN is progressing nicely :)
ham wrote:At this time next project are not announced.
So...

"Not announced" doesn't mean much, when you think about it ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Middle Term?

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:16 pm

What is the long term goal. "papy"

Rafiki

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:29 pm

World Domination. Obviously :turc:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Juliano
Private

Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:04 am

I've voted for WWII global game.

I think there's an important lack of a good turn based WWII game in the market, and nowadays the only company I trust to do so with high quality is AGEOD.

Pocus

Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:23 am

Perhaps it is now time to redo a poll to see if people have changed their mind about the next topic.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

caranorn

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:43 pm

You might want to list all WW2 as one then and not divide it into different theaters and the like. My personal preference would for instance be Europe, the Meditarenean and Africa, but I'd buy any WW2 game, even contribute to all (except maybe Global Grand Strategic as I was one of the original betas for Matrix's World in Flames)...

Though I might actually be more interested in a Fief style Medieval game, I even intended to propose such an idea here two years ago, but I got a bit too busy with other stuff to keep up my research...
Marc aka Caran...

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm interested in 17th century warfare (as you can conclude from my avatar ;) )! I've got the impression that this era is much neglected by the computer-game-industry :non: ! There seems to be nothing between medieval knights and tricorns.

Let's have the wars between the ottoman empire and europe (jannissaries, akinci, troops of the habsburg military frontier, etc.), or the wars of Louis XIV. I've voted for the 30 YW, as it is the only one available for this era. You can have great atmosphere: units with long hair (a very martial, lion-like look!), deep drums, thunder of guns!

An enhanced siege-combat resoultion would be awesome (sapping and counter-sapping!), and, in combination with the importance of fortifications: a bigger stress on supply-issues. Other than that, I think that the engine (with its focus on the operational level) fits very well. On the contrary, I think it will be very hard if not impossible to adapt the engine to medieval or ancient warfare.

On the other hand, also the 16th century is interesting: for example take the Huguenot Wars. I can image my "reiters" caracoling to the sound of 16th century music (Monteverdi!)! :rolleyes: Or what about the 80 years war? Or what about Lepanto, let's have a big sea-battle! Oh....the spanish armada? :w00t:

Antiquity? WW II? Knights? Come on, there are plenty of those games out there!

Juliano
Private

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Yes, many games about WW2 have been released, but not a global strategic turn based one.

I've been wating for WiF for more than a decade (!) and a goblin says me that his time has passed; the HoI games, in my opinion, have set off from a wrong approach and I'm really disappointed with them. Then, so far I haven't found one that covers the whole war satisfactorily.

I think that THE game about WW2 is still to be developed.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:55 pm

You see, there are no games about 16th or 17th century warfare at all. Moreover, I've already colored Wolfgang von Zweibrücken, so the developers just have to do the rest! :mdr:

Or what about two Karls von Lothringen?

And we need a Kara Mustafa! :p ompom:

(okay, his skin colour is kind of strange... ;) )

Hobbes

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I am making a scenario for King William's War for Wars in America - maybe not quite on the scale that you have in mind - but at least it is a 17th century game.

I would also like to see more games covering this period.
Cheers, Chris

badi100
Civilian

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:55 am

The secrets of how to get more money guaranteed way http://www.bookmoney.tk http://www.easymoneynow.tk

Lannes
Major

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:59 am

Juliano wrote:Yes, many games about WW2 have been released, but not a global strategic turn based one.

I've been wating for WiF for more than a decade (!) and a goblin says me that his time has passed; the HoI games, in my opinion, have set off from a wrong approach and I'm really disappointed with them. Then, so far I haven't found one that covers the whole war satisfactorily.

I think that THE game about WW2 is still to be developed.

Yes me too I'm agree at 200% :thumbsup:

yoshino
Conscript

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:34 pm

JacquesDeLalaing wrote:I'm interested in 17th century warfare (as you can conclude from my avatar ;) )! I've got the impression that this era is much neglected by the computer-game-industry :non: ! There seems to be nothing between medieval knights and tricorns.

Let's have the wars between the ottoman empire and europe (jannissaries, akinci, troops of the habsburg military frontier, etc.), or the wars of Louis XIV. I've voted for the 30 YW, as it is the only one available for this era. You can have great atmosphere: units with long hair (a very martial, lion-like look!), deep drums, thunder of guns!

An enhanced siege-combat resoultion would be awesome (sapping and counter-sapping!), and, in combination with the importance of fortifications: a bigger stress on supply-issues. Other than that, I think that the engine (with its focus on the operational level) fits very well. On the contrary, I think it will be very hard if not impossible to adapt the engine to medieval or ancient warfare.

On the other hand, also the 16th century is interesting: for example take the Huguenot Wars. I can image my "reiters" caracoling to the sound of 16th century music (Monteverdi!)! :rolleyes: Or what about the 80 years war? Or what about Lepanto, let's have a big sea-battle! Oh....the spanish armada? :w00t:

Antiquity? WW II? Knights? Come on, there are plenty of those games out there!

I totally agree.
BTW,do you know "Musket & Pike:Renaissance" in HPS?
http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/MuskPike/Ren/ren.html

It's contain 16th wars included Ottoman besiege Vienna,the Huguenot war and the 80 years war.
I like this game.No naval battles,the AI is a bit weak though.

Return to “General discussions”