Which is you preference for future AGEod games?

Antiquity Greek: Peloponnesian, Alexander the Great.
9%
Antiquity Roman: Punic, Cesar, Civil wars.
13%
Middle ages. Renaissance
9%
30 Years war
12%
NCP with Grand Campaign and production
13%
ACW, just in case it can be improved even more ;)
7%
WW1 with AGE engine
6%
WW2 East
3%
WW2 West
2%
WW2 Mediterranean and Africa
2%
WW2 Pacific
2%
WW2 Global
7%
Vietnam
5%
Fantasy: orcs, elves,...
2%
SF, space.
3%
Other, specify
3%
WW2, Europe only
2%

Total votes: 949
Syt
Colonel

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:55 pm

I would love a 30 Years War game, but

... I'm currently reading the new book "Europe's Tragedy - A New History of the Thirty Years War", giving a pretty deep overview of the conflict (850+ pages of pure text, plus nicely drawn battle maps), but reading through I have to say I have serious doubts if there's any chance to model this war appropriately in a game.

Not only do you have the complexities of the Holy Roman Empire, but you have the whole economic aspect (financing an army and generating revenue), the relations within Germany, between the other powers (Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, France, Ottomans, Dutch, Transylvanians etc.), the fringe theaters (Baltic, Netherlands, Italy, Balkans ... ) and a whole lot of the proceedings depended on persons who led armies, swtched sides, bartered for influence and territory, converted and re-converted as fit their personal goals, dynastic aspects, reforms and counter-reforms etc. etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.
- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

Field Marshall
Corporal

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:02 am

Yeah for NCP2!! A fine game and one of the few things needing to be changed!!
Colonial Campaigns Club (CCC)

A Great Place for Colonial Wargaming!

[color="#FFA500"]Playing Birth of America (BoA), Birth of America 2: Wars in America (BoA2:WiA) and Rise of Prussia (RoP)[/color]

Matin
Private

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:36 am

Syt wrote:
Not only do you have the complexities of the Holy Roman Empire, but you have the whole economic aspect (financing an army and generating revenue), the relations within Germany, between the other powers (Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, France, Ottomans, Dutch, Transylvanians etc.), the fringe theaters (Baltic, Netherlands, Italy, Balkans ... ) and a whole lot of the proceedings depended on persons who led armies, swtched sides, bartered for influence and territory, converted and re-converted as fit their personal goals, dynastic aspects, reforms and counter-reforms etc. etc.

that's what makes this topic so appealing! But i think a lot of that can be scaled down..

Palpat
Colonel

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:22 am

I'm sure some good games can be made out of late 17th Century and early 18th Century:
-Louis XIV wars, especially the two big ones.
-Habsbourg wars against the Turks with Wien siege and the begining of the reconquista there,
-Great Northern war...

It would require only minor engine and combat system adaptation, by the way. :neener:

Anguille

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:40 am

I wish "the Mughals" or "the conquest of India"...

Dreaming

ham
Private

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:12 am

Is it time to decide on next game which reflects this vote? :love:

PhilThib

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Looks like Napoleon 2 and an 'Antics' game are more or less sharing the first place, no ? ;)

Nikel

Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 am

PhilThib wrote:Looks like Napoleon 2 and an 'Antics' game are more or less sharing the first place, no ? ;)

Is any of AGEod's Peloponnesian War or AGEod's Julius Caesar's Campaigns, the secret project? :D

Carnium

Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:05 pm

Nikel wrote:Is any of AGEod's Peloponnesian War or AGEod's Julius Caesar's Campaigns, the secret project? :D

Well the Punic Wars Project seems to be on hold/discontinued... but is it really ? ;)

PhilThib

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:25 am

It's only on hold for lack of volunteers & testers ... it could be revived with a suitable team, but all our resources are currently focused on other issues ;)

caranorn

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:14 pm

I'd still be available to test Punic Wars to a certain degree, just can't do the graphics as I'd originally thought. It just takes too much time for me to get back to drawing those kinds of images after an entire year without doing any graphics work...

By the way, WWII would have done well here too had it not been split into so many variants. Though I'm not sure how the Age engine would handle that conflict, we will probably know after VGN is out. Anyhow, if a WWII game ever becomes a serious option I'd gladly jump in on the team for order of battle toe and the like work...
Marc aka Caran...

wosung

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:23 pm

caranorn wrote:By the way, WWII would have done well here too had it not been split into so many variants. Though I'm not sure how the Age engine would handle that conflict, we will probably know after VGN is out.

That's what I think as well. There really aren't that much WW2 global games available...

Regards

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Oh Your God!

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:24 pm

wosung wrote:That's what I think as well. There really aren't that much WW2 global games available...

Regards

Agreed. A global WW2 AGEOD game would be just epic! A turn based game like this, maybe simplified with USA, UK, Soviets, Germany, Japan, most likely be the best mp game ever. I grow excited just thinking about this :wacko:
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

pjwheeling
Corporal

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Just saw this posting for the first time. I would like to see the Peloponesian War or Ancient Rome. Either would be great. :D

Patrick
[font="Georgia"][SIZE="2"][color="DarkRed"]I cannot help but think that great results would have been obtained had my views been thought better of;
yet I am much inclined to accept the present condition as for the best.

James Longstreet[/color]
[/size][/font]

ancient seaman
Corporal

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:46 pm

I believe that the engine would work well with an ancient times game of which there aren't many good ones around.
Strategy games for Vietnam don't exist iirc and assuming it is possible to put the air warfare in ageod games i would really like to have such one.
Maybe VGN will introduce the air force so will see how it plays.

PhilThib

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:33 pm

VGN will have some kind of simplified 'air warfare' module, to fit with its time frame (1850-1920)...a more complex air war engine is not yet on the plan, but would be built upon such a basis... :coeurs:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:57 am

Phil: Will PI let you do such things? At AGEOD, you are "riding the back of the tiger." t

Pocus

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:07 am

AGEOD will still be self-run even for this kind of choice. Let's hope for the best, not fear for the worst in 2010.

And let's not derail this thread, there are already several about "what will really happen to AGEOD" :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

dduff442
Private

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:47 pm

While I'm unsure of the commercial attractiveness of the Peloponnesian war I can say any well-modeled game of this conflict would play brilliantly.

I recently read Donald Kagan's book on the conflict, logically called The Peloponnesian War, and thoroughly enjoyed it. All the data needed to model the war is there: the state of the Athenian treasury and its sources of funding, the costs of keeping a trireme at sea or an army in the field, the strengths of the different factions in the various cities etc. etc.

The non-symmetric strategic options available to Athens and Sparta, the ideological warfare between the sides, the subversion this involved, the intra-alliance tensions, the need to attract neutrals and the problems of long-distance communications and overseas basing all gave the conflict powerful resonances of the cold war.

It's no surprise this relatively tiny war has galvanised people's imagination for 2500 years. The story has more twists and turns than a pulp novel and a cast of outstanding characters more than a few of which are still famous today.

Any game that grasped the war's essential elements of trade, communications, finance, ideology and inter- and intra-alliance as well as domestic politics would be a classic.

Nikel

Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:47 pm

I also would like to see a APW (AGEod Peloponnesian War) :D .

This war seems to fit perfectly in AGE engine, leaders, two sides, land and naval components, some diplomacy that I suppose we will see in RoP,...

Looked for some information and there is a boardgame The Epic of the Peloponnesian War, that looks very good though apparently is not very popular

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13498/the-epic-of-the-peloponnesian-war

Review

http://grognard.com/reviews1/epicpelo.txt

Rules updated

http://www.thewargamer.com/grognard/epw2.pdf

[ATTACH]9789[/ATTACH]

Like it is said in the review I would prefer that AGEod uses a map like this, with Sicily not in a box

PhilThib, Pocus, any hope we can see in the future APW? :)
Attachments
EPW_west_map_detail2.jpg

Anguille

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Now...this is something i would buy at once.

Generally, the Antics is my favorite timeperiod.

Still, i would love a game on the Indian sub-continent.

PhilThib

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:19 pm

This is a subject I know quite well and it should not be too difficult to do...however, our small team is 200% full of work on current projects till end of 2010 at least, so no hope to do so in the close future.

Nevertheless, there are obvious possibilities to do this game earlier with an adequate "beta" team from the community, a bit like Paradox has done with community members on EU2 HOI2.... we could help build the team and give support...

We already have at least one team of motivated community members working on another project with AGEOD engine...so why not this one, with another team...

Find me 3 guys that have a good motivation to supply research data and fill a few Excel files and we can work this out. :cool:

Nikel

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Yes, of course I was talking about a more or less distant future :)

You already have a team of motivated community members working on another project with AGEOD engine? Do you mean 2nd Punic War or something else? ;)

3 motivated members! Beren, do you know another 2? Do you have experience with excel? :D

PhilThib

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:14 pm

You don't need to be an "expert" with excel...in fact you have to fill data in the right place, and it just requires logic. You can even use OpenOffice if you don't have Excel. :coeurs:

Here is what is required more or less:

1 - Find data about the subject and make initial choices: time frame, game scale (time and distance), theater of operation, nations involved, number of different models and units to be made (find portraits), leaders...

2 - Make a rough map: no need to be an artist, just region borders outline will be enough. Then we can make the map prototype with our own tools here, so you can have something to test

3 - Make Models and Units DB files: this use excel...it's where you fill all the numerical info

4 - Write Events: decide which, when, how many, find titles and texts. Later in the project, we shall script them

When the team has decided how to share the work on this, and an evaluation of the time needed is made, then we can assist you in working out the 'real' production of this (including finding finance to pay the artist who shall do some of the required work)...

If this can be done and you build a team, contact me by PM for further details :cool:

caranorn

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:34 pm

On another topic (WWII) I'd volunteer right away. But can't really help with the Peloponesian War...
Marc aka Caran...

Nikel

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:36 pm

Yes, only that is needed ;)

Beren is another spanish member that has some experience with this conflict, perhaps he can comment something

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14238&page=4&highlight=map

Nikel

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Yes, only that is needed, it sounds very easy ;)

Beren is another spanish member that has some experience with this conflict, perhaps he can comment something

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14238&page=4&highlight=map

PhilThib

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:12 pm

Yes, the map he showed is perfect, can be easily converted to AGEOD's standards... may be with only the two of you that would be already good enough ;)

Nikel

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:34 pm

Was it me who said, this is a subject I know quite well and it should not be too difficult to do ? :siffle: :)

No pictures or photographs of Alcibiades, Lysander and company for me to paint. A problem that by the way was solved in the boardgame with helmets

Regarding the map I would prefer Sicily and Crete not in boxes

Hobbes

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:42 pm

I would be happy to help out with this, but I would like to get King William's War finished first.

Cheers, Chris

Return to “General discussions”