AGEod Guard of Honor

Napoleon Age on PC

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:39 pm

Empires in Arms
Released: December 5, 2007
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/285/details/Empires.in.Arms

Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon
Release Date: June 30, 2005
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/306/details/Crown.of.Glory:.Europe.in.the.Age.of.Napoleon

Campaigns On The Danube
Release Date: March 25, 2004
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/282/details/Campaigns.On.The.Danube

John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars
Release Date: November 8, 2007
Includes Age of Sail: Naval Combat in the Napoleonic Age.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/321 ... eonic.Wars

Napoleon in Italy
Release Date: November 6, 2007
Napoleon's French Army on his first campaign against the Austrians and Piedmontese in Northern Italy.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/348/details/Napoleon.in.Italy

Commander - Napoleon at War
Release Date: Coming Soon.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/362/details/Commander.-.Napoleon.at.War

[color="Red"]Napoleon’s Campaign (AGEod)[/color]

I enlisted up here some Napoleonic Age related PC titles available or scheduled as available soon.
I also reported a link for knowing more as regard any single title.
I did not reported links or details as regard AGEod Napoleon’s Campaign: If you are here looking at this you, you will probably know the title in detail.

Two titles unmentioned up here are worth to be remembered:

Histwar™: Les Grognards
http://www.battlefront.com/products/les_grog/news.html
Althoght we have not details as regard scheduled release date it seems and interesting game at tactical, grand-tactical level.

Empire Total War
http://www.totalwar.com/
The Total War series is known for many high quality and market leader titles released in past years.
The first screenshots available for Empire Total War are impressive as regard graphic details.
Although this series does not care after historical accuracy in term of OOB and other historical details Total War campaigns and tactical engagements are worth to be tried for a mess of pure enjoyement hours.

Down here I enlisted the score tallied by some titles at Game Spot site, when available.

Empires in Arms
Critic Score N/A
User Score 6.7

[color="red"]Napoleon’s Campaign (AGEod)[/color]
Critic Score 6.7
User Score 5.6

Napoleon in Italy
Critic Score N/A
User Score N/A

John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars
Critic Score N/A
User Score N/A

Campaigns On The Danube
Critic Score 7.5
User Score 6.7

Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon
Critic Score 6.6
User Score 7.4

It’s worth to underline that “Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon” & “Empires in Arms”, two titles that can be properly compared to “AGEod Napoleon’s Campaign”, tallied a superior score, although near to “AGEod Napoleon’s Campaign” one.
It’s to be noticed Napoleon Age titles do not meet great public interest, perhaps a reason for the quite low overal scores.
We experienced that at AGEod forum too: see users great interest for AACW compared to NCP!
Note also that with “AGEod Napoleon’s Campaign” the User Scores is low, and inferior to critic one: it seems like the title disappointed users’ expectation……A thingh to think over, in my mind.
On the contrary uses apreciated “Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon”: it’s score is definitely positive.

Personally, I have to state that I had no chance to try any of them but “AGEod Napoleon’s Campaign”.
My copy of “Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon” is on way from U.K.: trying it will help to clarify a mature and comparative evalutation of “AGEod Napoleon’s Campaign”.

Most titles could be anyway of interest, at least for historical informations they are expected to come with……OOB comparison and other.
Unfortunately, they are not available from EU companies and we have to buy them in USA: it means high expedition costs and extra tax charges that can easely duplicate official sites prizes!...We have to thank respective governments as regard the last point!

I’ll invite all ones having tried them to report…….

JastaV

Nikel

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Though outdated, more info about napoleonic games is here

http://www.napoleonguide.com/wargames.htm

I have not played any of them so I cannot comment

Adlertag

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:47 pm

I own "Crown of Glory" and I was a bit disappointed because of strange AI behaviour, such as movement of Ottoman fleet and armies to invade Sweden and the like, also interface tooltips aren't very explicit and there is a tactical module where the player hasn't too much options to handle with, except the basic ones (move, charge...).
Finally, the game is lacking historicity but that said, it isn't unpleasant after all.
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Spharv2

Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:00 pm

My favorite is still Koei's L'Empereur way back in the day. That said, comparing NCP to Crown of Glory and Empire in Arms isn't realistic. Both CoG and EiA are higher level games than NCP. I think the big thing that hurt NCP was quite simply, the lack of a grand campaign. I think there are a lot of players out there who want to re-do the whole war, and it doesn't matter how many turns individual scenarios are, you simply don't feel like it means anything if you're playing a scenario because the context just isn't there. I dunno, just my thoughts.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Gamespot users ratings are sometimes over- depending on how much time you want to spend creating fake accounts in order to alter the score.

In any case, I think Napoleon's Campaigns reputation relies more than on the time we could spend to improve it rather than on the time needed to try to falsificate Gamespot score.

1: We do not wish to behave in such way.
2: We do not have time to work on NCP as all of our ressources are forcused on our current projects (WW1, VGN, RoP).

Best regards,

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Parasox - Napoleon's Ambition. If you can figure out how to make Gamer's Gate work!!! I have paid for the game twice and have yet to be able to download it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS: I am a bit irritated, only a BIT!!!!! :p apy:

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:18 am

Adlertag wrote:I own "Crown of Glory" and I was a bit disappointed because of strange AI behaviour, such as movement of Ottoman fleet and armies to invade Sweden and the like, also interface tooltips aren't very explicit and there is a tactical module where the player hasn't too much options to handle with, except the basic ones (move, charge...).
Finally, the game is lacking historicity but that said, it isn't unpleasant after all.

Got my copy of "Crown of Glory" yesterday.
I installed it and noticed there's no way to change the on screen game resolution.
Default one is 1024x768!

Do you know the way to modify it: I'm using a LCD working at its best at 1680x1050!

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
JastaV

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 pm

Korrigan wrote:Gamespot users ratings are sometimes over- depending on how much time you want to spend creating fake accounts in order to alter the score.

In any case, I think Napoleon's Campaigns reputation relies more than on the time we could spend to improve it rather than on the time needed to try to falsificate Gamespot score.

1: We do not wish to behave in such way.
2: We do not have time to work on NCP as all of our ressources are forcused on our current projects (WW1, VGN, RoP).

Best regards,

Korrigan

[color="RoyalBlue"]Gamespot users ratings are sometimes over- depending on how much time you want to spend creating fake accounts in order to alter the score.
[/color]

Korrigan, you have a very dark mind to think users have not better way to waste their time! :mdr:

BTW, I trust users opinions, game reviewing and scoring even more than "official rewiews"!
Users are product buyers, indeed! :neener:

I have a great practice with paper editoring, so to know that magazine reviews are dramatically influenced by money that companies are ready to spend to advertise their own products.

If AGEod will buy some 5.000 € of publicity pages on my paper, I'll spend some kind words when reviewing NCP or WIA in the same magazine.
When AGEod will buy publicity pages for 50.000 €, then NCP or WIA will probably become excellent games......

It's also true that magazines have to run down some products to creditate their reviewing articles.
I'll be interested to lash NCP or WIA, if AGEod is not buying adventising pages on my paper, in favour of any other company's products, buying publicity pages from me.

Of course that same is true with on line sites, where companies have chance to buy publicity spaces, or perhaps that same site is selling the reviewed product.

Korrigan, you have a very innocent mind if you never thinked over these last points! :mdr:

Adlertag

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:14 pm

jastaV wrote:Got my copy of "Crown of Glory" yesterday.
I installed it and noticed there's no way to change the on screen game resolution.
Default one is 1024x768!

Do you know the way to modify it: I'm using a LCD working at its best at 1680x1050!

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
JastaV

Sorry, I have desinstalled the game for a long time, but I remenber being stuck with this video resolution.
At least you can try Matrix forums about the game, maybe you'll find some tips.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:56 am

Adlertag wrote:Sorry, I have desinstalled the game for a long time, but I remenber being stuck with this video resolution.
At least you can try Matrix forums about the game, maybe you'll find some tips.

I already posted and checked at Matrix pages, as regard.
I also noticed all matrix games, included last released ones work at 1024x768.
It's a really negative fact!

I'm working after a "review" scoring NCP agaist "Crowns of Glory"!
Once I'll have posted it, hope to have your comments as regard having you tried both games too.

Adlertag

Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:51 pm

jastaV wrote:I'm working after a "review" scoring NCP agaist "Crowns of Glory"!
Once I'll have posted it, hope to have your comments as regard having you tried both games too.

Both games don't "play" in the same category and many aspects won't be comparable as some are missing from one game or the other.
So, I think it will be hard to score one "against" the other, if ever possible.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:41 pm

Adlertag wrote:Both games don't "play" in the same category and many aspects won't be comparable as some are missing from one game or the other.
So, I think it will be hard to score one "against" the other, if ever possible.

I'm new to Crowns of Glory, but it seems like I have to agree with you!
So, it sounds strange most sites put the two games in a common category: possibly because of the common subject...Napoleonic Age!

Return to “General discussions”