Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Imperialism

Tue May 30, 2006 11:17 am

I have had Imperialism 2 for a while now and I like it well. It happens now and then that I start up a new game and play (rarely to the end but that I have never done with any game. Im a builder, not a long-time manager) but a few days ago I downloaded Imperialism 1 and was struck by how well the in-game graphics were.

Every thing looked like it was drawn by hand just like BoA and it really inspired me atleast. The back side was the lousy AI taht would attack me after a few years even on the easiest level and Im was never able to build up that qickly.

It is a pitty that the company that made them has disappered (SSI) becuase I think that game could be improved on further and become really great.

Has anyone else tried it?

Robin

Tue May 30, 2006 12:26 pm

Kotik wrote:Every thing looked like it was drawn by hand just like BoA and it really inspired me atleast. The back side was the lousy AI taht would attack me after a few years even on the easiest level and Im was never able to build up that qickly.

I must admit that Imperialism I and II was in my mind during the conception of BoA as two good examples of how to make a good game. And not only in term of graphisms. And to be complete, it was a common opinion for all the team who works on BoA. :coeurs:
"Le laid ne fera jamais vendre..."
Raymond Loewy (un graphiste français un petit peu plus connu que moi... :sourcil:
Visit my blog : http://nouveaux-horizons.blogspot.com/

Ardie
Captain

Tue May 30, 2006 12:35 pm

Yeah, I have both of them and played for a while but never really finished a campaign. The diplomacy sucks as there are only a small amount of playable factions. So the field is somewhat limited.

I dropped the II 'cause I couldn't get the patch to install at all.

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Ardie wrote:Yeah, I have both of them and played for a while but never really finished a campaign. The diplomacy sucks as there are only a small amount of playable factions. So the field is somewhat limited.

Yes the diplomacy is abit lacking but okay I think.

WEll on the playble factions, yes I would have been nice if you could make your own nation and that you could choose a bigger map. Some more variations that is...

Robin

Tue May 30, 2006 2:43 pm

Don't forget one great idea wich give the game a great longevity : the exeptionnal random map generator !

Raymond Loewy (un graphiste français un petit peu plus connu que moi... :sourcil:

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 30, 2006 2:56 pm

yes but still, the maps are of the same size and the same nations, if that could have been choosable or randomised then it would have even more potential.

Ardie
Captain

Tue May 30, 2006 4:28 pm

The main problem with the Imperialism games and their diplomacy was that only the "Great Powers" were active. The others were just pawns to be exploited.

When a war erupted between 2 Big Boys, the rest of the active countries usually allied quickly with one of the warring nations and gangbanged the poor lonesome nation into a submission. Repeat this ad infinitum until there was only one active country left.

PhilThib

Tue May 30, 2006 4:53 pm

That's why the diplomatic model in a XIXth century game need some fine tuning: in my mind, only the big powers should be active, and smaller nations should be influenced, but only to a certain point (i.e. not to the point of being spêechless worshipful faithful allies :niark: )...

If you limit also the cause for war (Casus Belli), the influence of money (no bribing of nation into a war) and the number of diplomatic actions allowed to great powers, you come close to something more realistic :indien:

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 30, 2006 6:58 pm

PhilThib wrote:That's why the diplomatic model in a XIXth century game need some fine tuning: in my mind, only the big powers should be active, and smaller nations should be influenced, but only to a certain point (i.e. not to the point of being spêechless worshipful faithful allies :niark: )...

If you limit also the cause for war (Casus Belli), the influence of money (no bribing of nation into a war) and the number of diplomatic actions allowed to great powers, you come close to something more realistic :indien:

The last part is SO from PI's EU games...but you are quite right PhilThib, some limits has to be set and also there was real limits to what you could do to minor nations even for a great power during that age.

Generalisimo

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:30 am

PhilThib wrote:That's why the diplomatic model in a XIXth century game need some fine tuning: in my mind, only the big powers should be active, and smaller nations should be influenced, but only to a certain point (i.e. not to the point of being spêechless worshipful faithful allies :niark: )...

Amen :p apy:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Generalisimo

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:32 am

Robin wrote:Don't forget one great idea wich give the game a great longevity : the exeptionnal random map generator !

Yep, that allowed some replayability. But, it could have been better... :niark:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Robin

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:19 am

Generalisimo wrote:Yep, that allowed some replayability. But, it could have been better... :niark:

What do you mean ?

Generalisimo

Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:46 pm

Robin wrote:What do you mean ?

That the only replayability came from the random map generator... but after you played it sometimes... there weren't much changes around... it was more or less the same. :niark:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Return to “General discussions”