Hobbes

Halloween Quiz 2008

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi folks, its the time of year again when I attempt to rid myself of my most treasured possessions. Up for grabs this year are :-

PC Games
Guns of August
Combat Mission: Shock Force
Half-Life2
Oblivion
Crysis
Talonsoft: Gettysburg
Talonsoft: Napoleon in Russia
Talonsoft: Prelude to Waterloo

Movies
Shaka Zulu
The Last of the Mohicans

Lucky Coins
A lucky Sixpence
A fairly lucky Thruppeny Bit

Three winners with the first getting first choice of prize, the second second choice etc ...

If you are a prizewinner just give me your address so I can send along the prize and stalk you as usual.

The big question this year is who distanced himself from Henry Ford on Halloween in 1763? If you think you know the answer please PM me. All correct answers will go into the hat for the midnight draw on 31st October.

As always please feel free to post any weird or spooky thing you like on the thread. Aphrodite and Dixi - you must have a favourite song?

Cheers, Chris

Rafiki

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:06 pm

[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

dooya

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Are we indeed talking about 1763? :confused:
No quote - No bullshit!

Aphrodite Mae

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:08 pm

Hobbes wrote:As always please feel free to post any weird or spooky thing you like on the thread. Aphrodite and Dixi - you must have a favourite song?...

Thank you, Hobbes, for your gracious invitation. On this beautiful and solemn occasion, Bill and I would like to offer an elegant touch of musical beauty to share with others. It is something of a fusion between Mozart and Bach; we think of it as "Mach" music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5dnVlbKgoM&feature=related
Aphrodite Mae

Hobbes

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:40 pm

It does indeed make me weep Aphrodite. Do you have access to any of their other works?

Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:47 pm

dooya wrote:Are we indeed talking about 1763? :confused:

Dooya, yes 1763. So far we have two entries, one in the hat and one in the garbage.

One can have as many attempts as one likes but after an undisclosed number of attempts one may find oneself publicly ridiculed in the thread of shame.

Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:32 pm

To keep the ball rolling I would like to post a piece which I believe I may have also posted last year but it still has a special place in my heart.

A fun funeral dirge mayhap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh4ndMyo-dw

Be aware that there are new prizes on offer. Two lucky old English coins of the realm that I found deep in shakespeare's soil as a child with a metal detector. I imagine winning them at midnight on Halloween can only enhance their already potent magic. They would make ideal green markers for a golfer I would think.

Cheers, Chris

Aphrodite Mae

From Mae and her jello ninja

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi, Hobbes!
Continuing with the theme of musical entertainment, we now offer something a bit light-hearted, for a change.

This tune is dedicated to our good friend, J. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GluCM_ggMvw
Attachments
GM_Marriage.JPG
GM_Marriage.JPG (56.99 KiB) Viewed 6839 times

Zebedee
Sergeant

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:17 pm

Well another year has nearly passed, and a new one is nearly upon us. Nos Galan Gaeaf hapus!

edit: and that quiz is far too difficult for me :D
[font="Verdana"]"For God's sake, let us if possible keep out of it." - Lord Russell on British government policy towards the warring states, Hansard.[/font]

[color="Blue"]Gray's Historical Accuracy Mod for AACW[/color]

Dixicrat
General

Danse Macabre

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:44 pm

Our last post was weird, as our friend Hobbes requested; now, we offer something spooky!

Danse Macabre was first performed in 1875. It's otherwise known as opus 40 by French composer Camille Saint-Saëns. The composition is based upon a poem by Henri Cazalis, involving an old French superstition. If you're interested in learning more, please be sure to read the notes for the post at the site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM&feature=related

Happy Halloween!
Dixicrat and Mae

Hobbes

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Perfect! Thanks for posting Dixi. One of those tunes I know but didn't know the name of. Now I'm just awaiting you and Aphrodite's entry.

Two more correct entries today. We now have 5 in the hat for the Halloween draw. I will post a clue the day before Halloween, it will be as obscure as the question of course.

Cheers, Chris

Rafiki

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Ah, the Danse Macabre, featured along with these guys

in one of my favourite episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer :D

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Aphrodite Mae

A dance I wasn't invited to

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:43 pm

One of the most delightful memories of my childhood involves Danse Macabre, believe it or not! When I was 8 years old, my family went to Disney World. While we were there, we visited the Haunted Mansion. At some point, we reached a place where we were able to look down into a ballroom, where ghosts were dancing to Danse Macabre! It wasn't scary to me, at all. It was beautiful! It looked like some sort of royal ball, with girl ghosts wearing beautiful dresses, and the boy ghosts wearing swallow-tail tuxedos. They elegantly twirled and glided to the beautiful music of Danse Macabre. I cried, because my daddy wouldn't let me stay and watch!

:) ,

Havely

Kriegsspieler

Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:30 pm

Rafiki wrote:Ah, the Danse Macabre, featured along with these guys

in one of my favourite episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer :D

I have so many favorited episodes of Buffy I can scarcely choose one over the others. But this one WAS superb.

Hobbes

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:11 am

I have nothing scary or spooky but I have a mystery. Does anyone know why it seems impossible to get a Sinead O'Connor video on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0wkhRmLQCU

Hobbes

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:52 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:One of the most delightful memories of my childhood involves Danse Macabre, believe it or not! When I was 8 years old, my family went to Disney World. While we were there, we visited the Haunted Mansion. At some point, we reached a place where we were able to look down into a ballroom, where ghosts were dancing to Danse Macabre! It wasn't scary to me, at all. It was beautiful! It looked like some sort of royal ball, with girl ghosts wearing beautiful dresses, and the boy ghosts wearing swallow-tail tuxedos. They elegantly twirled and glided to the beautiful music of Danse Macabre. I cried, because my daddy wouldn't let me stay and watch!

:) ,

Havely

It's an evocative image you conjure Aphrodite.
Attachments
Ballroom.jpg
Ballroom.jpg (3.27 KiB) Viewed 6843 times

Aphrodite Mae

Simply Smashing! (Pumpkins, that is...)

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:33 pm

What could be more appropriate for Halloween than...
Smashing Pumpkins!
And for a post on a military forum written by a lady... what could be more apropos than their tune, "Bullet with Butterfly Wings"? :)

I personally don't like the video, but the music's good, and the lyrics fit:
"The world is a Vampire...
sent to drain!..."

[font="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNX_PRqhCQ&feature=related[/font]By the way: the tune is over 4 minutes long, but little ol' me would suggest that you turn it off once you get past 2:30. It's just "axe grinding" noise, after that, and I don't like that part.
Aphrodite Mae

Aphrodite Mae

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Would somebody please teach me how to post a picture like Rafiki did, so that everyone can see it without having to download it? The picture I want to post is both sweet, and "Halloweeny".
Aphrodite Mae

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Would somebody please teach me how to post a picture like Rafiki did, so that everyone can see it without having to download it? The picture I want to post is both sweet, and "Halloweeny".

Option A.

1. Open a free account at any site hosting pictures:
http://photobucket.com/

2. Upload your picture there.

3. Locate the Direct link to the uploaded picture: copy it!
Enlisted down the uploaded pict.

4. At AGEod open new thread/post select Insert Image icon: that one with mountains against yeallow background.

5. Copy/paste your Direct link, from point 3, over the only available field.

that's done!

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:49 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Would somebody please teach me how to post a picture like Rafiki did, so that everyone can see it without having to download it? The picture I want to post is both sweet, and "Halloweeny".

Option B.

1. Open a new Thread/post

2. Select Attachments icon on the top bar: Manage Attachments window will open.

3. Upload your pic from your PC: see "Upload File from your Computer" selection roster.

4. Copy link from to the newly uploaded picture in "Current Attachments" field of Manage Attachments window.

5. Close Manage Attachments window.

6. Open Insert Image window: past over link to your uploaded picture in the relative field.

Done! :neener:
Attachments
Me.jpg
Me.jpg (2.59 KiB) Viewed 7043 times

Aphrodite Mae

Norman Rockwell

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:11 pm

BOO! :D

This wonderful painting by Norman Rockwell reminds me of what a happy time Halloween was, when I was a little girl!

JastaV, thank you for your kindness! Please drop by my social club for drinks and refreshments, on the house! I've included Mr. Rockwell's painting as an attachment, if anyone should want to download it.
Attachments
BOO!.jpg
BOO!.jpg (13.25 KiB) Viewed 7095 times
Aphrodite Mae

Hobbes

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:44 pm

jastaV wrote:Option B.

1. Open a new Thread/post

2. Select Attachments icon on the top bar: Manage Attachments window will open.

3. Upload your pic from your PC: see "Upload File from your Computer" selection roster.

4. Copy link from to the newly uploaded picture in "Current Attachments" field of Manage Attachments window.

5. Close Manage Attachments window.

6. Open Insert Image window: past over link to your uploaded picture in the relative field.

Done! :neener:

Haha! It worked the second time. Thanks Jasta.

I thought I should add a link to last years quiz as I think it would be nice to link these up over the years. Who knows in 10 years time we may still be having an Halloween quiz. I hope so (I think last years question was harder unless you were smart enough to look at the wiki).

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5985&highlight=halloween
Attachments
Siouxsie.jpg
Siouxsie.jpg (4.84 KiB) Viewed 7043 times

Dixicrat
General

Pumpkin Launching

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Who's familiar with the American sport of Pumpkin Launching?

This is an excerpt from [SIZE="2"]THE WALL STREET JOURNAL[/size], in an article by their staff writer, Mark Robichaux. The byline is Morton, Illinois.

[INDENT]Ponder this: Will a pumpkin, as it nears the speed of sound, turn into pie in the sky? In a machine shop in a sea of cornfields here in a place that calls itself the Pumpkin Capital of the World, this is not a theoretical question. For months now, a team of volunteers has worked earnestly on an effort to send a gourd soaring at Mach I.

Their invention is an 18-ton, 100-foot cannon made of 10-inch-diameter plastic pipe, powered by compressed air and mounted on an old cement mixer. Dubbed the Aludium Q36 Pumpkin Modulator, it has already set a world distance record, flinging a pumpkin 2,710 feet -- at a velocity of more than 600 miles per hour, literally faster than some speeding bullets. ...Painted military green, the gun was named after a weapon used by Marvin the Martian, a pint-sized alien in a Warner Bros. cartoon.

[/INDENT]Here's the link to the full article.

http://www.mit.edu/~goodmanj/ideas/pumpkin.html
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]
Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

Jabberwock

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:48 pm

[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Hobbes

Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:45 pm

This must be added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzHure-YBmA

The really horrific thing about this is that I quite like both of them.

Hobbes

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:52 pm

Hobbes wrote:I have nothing scary or spooky but I have a mystery. Does anyone know why it seems impossible to get a Sinead O'Connor video on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0wkhRmLQCU

The mystery deepens. There are no Prince songs on youtube either.

Is there a connection?

Rafiki

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:55 pm

Prince vehemently pursues anything that even remotely resembles a copyright infringement.

Not long ago, a Norwegian record label wanted to put together a tribute album with various Norwegian artists performing assorted Prince songs; the project was shot down by Prince (via his management)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:59 pm

Hobbes wrote:Is there a connection?

They were originally from the same planet.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

dooya

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:26 am

Jabberwock wrote:They were originally from the same planet.
But nobody knows which planet it was. :niark:
No quote - No bullshit!

Hobbes

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:56 pm

No guesses for a few days folks, so a few clues on this page with thanks to Craig (Bo Rearguard). This could be his method of transport while distancing himself.

A few more ghostly links needed!

Cheers, Chris
Attachments
Not GM.png
Not GM.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 6980 times

Return to “General discussions”