Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Proper build order for provinces or areas.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:53 pm

Hey guys I have been playing this multiplayer for several months and I am still lost. Is there a proper order you should follow when building up a area. Like should I focus on infrastructure first? Anybody out there that can explain this to me?

Durk

Re: Proper build order for provinces or areas.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:17 am

I definitely cannot explain, but share your question. I have seen other players develop advanced units much more quickly than I have been able to manage, so there is a better way. It seems to me the seemingly random manner is which building options are presented would be a factor in any answer.
With the above caveat:
Food, but not too much
Enabling structures such as forges and basic building material
Military structures enabling more advanced units.

But so much depends upon which faction you play. I love playing smaller factions, so I build survival structures first, food and health, and if I survive, then expand infrastructure.

I do think there is not so much a proper structure sequence as a situational response to build options presented and the size and success of your faction. For instance, if you can build a religious structure in each region, you really can make your population a lot happier, but if you get overrun then army training would have been better.

Trade!! Final word.

Now I hope those who actually know chime in.

Jarkko
Colonel

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:48 am

As first step, I suggest take a look at https://steamah.com/field-of-glory-empi ... sts-guide/ and then bookmark it. It is pretty much an essential reference guide for FOGE; at least I can remember (or so I believe) all the other relevant things in FOGE (the game mechanics are quite simple, and for most things the information is available on screen), but the buildings is different. It is hard to remember (at least it is for me) which buildings unlock which, and if there are any other factors affecting the buildings.

As for what to build first, I always look at the zero slot buildings. Clear Water, Public Works, Anchorage, Crafter District, Training Grounds, Tar Deposit. Of these Crafter District and Public Works are the ones behind which are more buildings than any other buildings, which makes them immensely important. Likewise, Anchorage unlocks also plenty options. Clear Water as such doesn't unlock anything, but it is essentially a free 5% chance to generate population.

As you probably well know, you need three buildings to unlock second tier buildings. This is another reason why the zero slot buildings are so nice. For example, with Ancorage and Crafter District built, you need just one more Yellow building to up get access to the second tier buildings.

When I make a decission what to build in region, the thought process goes something like this:
1) Is Public Works present? If not, can I build it? If I can, build it, else go to 2.
2) Is there any food generating buildings present? If yes, go to 3. If not, build a Flax field, Sheperd House, Salt Mine, Ranch or Fishery, or if none of these can be built go to 3.
3) Can I build Wood Cutter or Clay Pit? If I can, build it, else go to 4.
4) Is this a border region? If not, go to 5. If it is, can I build Palisade? Build it, else go to 5.
5) Can I build Clear Water? Build it, else go to 6.
6) Can I build Anchorage or Crafter District? Build one, else go to 7.
7) And so on

The idea is to open up access to Wood Cutter and Clay Pit as soon as possible, because they provide bonuses to many things, but making sure there is enough food for the population. Once you have the very basics (Public Works, some food provider, Woodcutter and/or Clay pit, Palisade, Clear Water, Anchorage) built, it is time to take a look at the trade goods in the neighbourhood, and start building up the industry (it is quite possible to have 2nd tier Yellow building up and running already when you have just 4 population in the region).

If it is the capital province, make sure you have enough military buildings to build Heavy infantry, and if it is a Multiplayer game make sure you can build Warships (warships and heavy warships aren't needed in singleplayer, but in multiplayer they are incredibly important).

Once you have the money making machines grinding you wealth, and military to make sure you do not face immediate destruction, it is time to start thinking about the culture buildings and actually winning the game :)

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:31 pm

You want structures in a region to be able to feed the population and maintain the infrastructure without the need to additionally employ citizens to these. Slaves can still be used, but that way all the citizens can produce culture. This is because culture in a region grows each turn so that certain milestones are reached. Every culture milestone increases the Legacy the region creates per turn, from 1 up to 5 points. Also, regions in a province you control, pool food and infrastructure points, which makes it more efficient to grow smaller regions quickly. I always make it a goal to acquire control of all the provinces for the regions my Faction has.

Once your regions have positive food and infrastructure points, then I prioritize structures that produce money, manpower and metal, not in any order. You need these to produce military units. Region population produces some manpower and most manpower structures also produce health. Events come that allow you to trade one of these that you have in excess for one of the others, so just keep adding any until you get ahead. Unless you get lucky with slave markets, most slaves from battles you win will end up in your capital. Since a large population gets to build a lot of structures, I build my military structure in my capital. You need strong cavalry, melee and ranged units. If you have a province with an exceptional combat unit, then build up the chain of military structures that supports this unit in that provincial capital. For example, in Sarmatia, I build structures to produce and enhance the cataphracts. I've read that up to 3 of each military building in regions in a province contribute half of the bonus to units created in that province, but I cannot confirm this, yet.

Once a region population exceeds 25, unrest becomes a growing problem. Some regions always tend to unrest. You can either stop population growth by limiting food production, or build structures to increase order, or simply station a force of 8 cheap light cavalry in the region. I had a stack of cavalry in a region with 2-3% unrest for 100 turns and no rebellion. If you choose to limit food production, remember that your military units need food when stationed there. Your faction needs at least ten regions to rise to tier III. Additionally, some structures are required before certain military units can be produced. If you cursor over a unit that your cannot yet build, the text describes what you need. I often have to hire mercenary cavalry at the start, until I can produce my own.

Always build structures that produce Legacy points. This is the factor that decides the winner. Good luck!
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Pocus

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:07 pm

Although in the end game, you'll see that most legacy points come from regions with very high culture. But good advices!

Jarkko
Colonel

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Gray Fox wrote:Always build structures that produce Legacy points. This is the factor that decides the winner.

No it is not. Structures that produce Legacy points are a miniscule factor on deciding who is the winner. Culture is what generates most Legacy by the end game, Legacy producing buildings are a fart in the autumn storm in comparison.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:05 pm

"Legacy" is the factor that decides the winner. The word "this" is a singular reflexive pronoun. If I had meant the structures, I would have said "these". In point of fact, structure legacy was one eighth of my total legacy.

Jarkko
Colonel

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:35 pm

Gray Fox wrote:-snip-

Please stop giving bad advice, somebody might actually believe you :(

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:07 pm

Really? When I posted this advice on Steam, someone thanked me.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1011390/ ... 245062301/

I guess you got that wrong, too.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:18 am

maybe they were less aware of the game mechanics and thought you were correct?

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”