nlancier
Lieutenant

FOG:E Multiplayer(!)

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:39 pm

Gents, congrats for that nice upcoming game, really excited about it...

I think fog:e multiplayer game can be played pbem up to 6 players?

And i assume fog2 integration is possible only for (human vs AI) and (1v1 mp) games but not for games played by 6 players right?
TWC Co-founder

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: FOG:E Multiplayer(!)

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:37 pm

no, the max is probably 12-15 players.

export to FoGE is only possible for SP games. Integrating via the Slitherine/Matrix servers is too complex for any style of MP export.

nlancier
Lieutenant

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 am

loki100 wrote:no, the max is probably 12-15 players.

export to FoGE is only possible for SP games. Integrating via the Slitherine/Matrix servers is too complex for any style of MP export.

Good to know loki, thanks.

Ah and fog:e MP will be played on 'Slitherine/Matrix' servers like fog2 then unlike WON?
TWC Co-founder

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:06 am

yes, there is no conventional PBEM with swapping files etc, it all done via the server.

I've found it a lot easier, especially if playing multiple test games at the same time.

nlancier
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:52 am

loki100 wrote:yes, there is no conventional PBEM with swapping files etc, it all done via the server.

I've found it a lot easier, especially if playing multiple test games at the same time.

Just i found using the server a bit time consuming while playing fog2 (maybe cause my comp is slow?) and we use dropbox in our club-TWC for big games like WON, PON etc but both is ok no doubt. So thanks for the info loki, looking forward to the release...
TWC Co-founder

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:11 pm

loki100 wrote:yes, there is no conventional PBEM with swapping files etc, it all done via the server.

That means that there will be no scripting as we up to here knew it? On the running game I mean.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am

don't see why not, the game runs on each player's PC. so you can put together a script, everyone loads it and it is then part of the game. All the Matrix/Slitherine system does is to handle the save game file transfers and runs the turn once they are all in.

So akin to the role played by the host player in the trad AGEOD PBEM approach.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:29 am

loki100 wrote:don't see why not, the game runs on each player's PC. so you can put together a script, everyone loads it and it is then part of the game. All the Matrix/Slitherine system does is to handle the save game file transfers and runs the turn once they are all in.

So akin to the role played by the host player in the trad AGEOD PBEM approach.

Forgive me, that I am a bit puzzled. ;)

Isn't the part where a script actually gets executed the turns resolution? On the hosts machine, right? Which is now a server, that the players have no access to.

Or what does it mean "everybody loads it"? Like opening the console and execute it as a command?

Thanks for taking the time.

Durk

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:27 pm

Pretty sure loki100 is explaining the server does not hold any game files, it uses the players' games. So as it touches each players' game in executing the turn, all players will need to have the script incase it is his/her computer hosted game moment which is used to run the script.
Loading a script is essentially placing a file in a game folder. Most mods are events scripts. So in that instance you would create the event script and then drop it into the appropriate folder so the event 'fires.'
So each player would take the created file and put it in their game, as opposed to current practice where only the host loads the script.

And by the way, this game has the potential to have some amazing multiplayer games. Perhaps 12 players, but also, perhaps 6 players each with two factions.

Pocus

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Yes the server is not hosting the turn, just passing the files around.

I'll need to confirm, but I'm 90% sure that if everybody has the same exact files (including a new script/event) then it should be fine.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks guys, for explaining it in detail.

(Did it really just take three people to screw in my light bulb :rofl: )

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”