Spaceface
Conscript

Are there any plans for more detailed evolution of armies similair to the Roman upgrade path

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:15 pm

I have clocked about 200 hours now in this game and I have spent alot of time looking through the Empires_DB files (a very informative, organised and great resource if you are looking at in depth information) to find good compositions to beat the Roman armies with (on either difficult or very hard).

I noticed that while the Roman army evolves (which is cool), others evolve alot less (generally it becomes harder as the game progresses to beat Rome in a fight).

I think it would be really cool if other cultures have upgrade paths to their armies aswell (even if this might be slightly ahistorical because rome kicked everyone's asses and this never really happend). Most notably, there are no upgrade paths for Phalanx units, nation unique provincial units like the Sacred Band or the Spartan Phalanx (even though the latter are already awesome to begin with they could get a buff related to their cost or ranged defense on CIV3)

For reference here is a screenshot showing how roman troops and Carthaginian troops evolve:(https://gyazo.com/ba974d74ee3a0cbe721d6dcf81831bb5).

I feel the only real downside to Roman troops is that all their front line units scale with cost which is a disadvantage they share with Sparta (for Rome Alae could theoretically fill this role).

How do other people feel about this and are there any plans for this down the line? :sherlock:

Pocus

Re: Are there any plans for more detailed evolution of armies similair to the Roman upgrade path

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:16 am

Phalanx were being phased out and a few nations went the 'Imitation Legion' way, given how Rome was successful. This is represented by upgrade paths with Heavy Infantry becoming Improved HI for example.

Each nation but Rome can upgrade 6 types of units to their improved variant.

Spaceface
Conscript

Re: Are there any plans for more detailed evolution of armies similair to the Roman upgrade path

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:23 am

I suppose you are right about the phalanx as its already quite good. I think a path to phase it out could be interesting in its own right, although its doubtful the greeks would have done so if they had won the encounters versus Rome.

Anyway I guess what i am trying to say is i really like the flavor that playing Rome has, also related to the events and I would litterly throw money at anything that gives more flavor to some of the other factions.

Pocus

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 am

It can be done as mods. I need to arbitrate between many features so more flavor for Rome, I don't know when I'll get around that. In the meantime you can play others nations with some flavor content, like Judea, Dacia, Carthage, Maurya.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”