Straight Arrow
General

Death by Lack of WS

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:24 am

Any idea of what areas/buildings produce WS?

Money is tight, but I can scrape up enough to get by. But WS....

Straight Arrow
General

Re: Death by Lack of WS

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:34 am

I've been looking over the map and counting on my fingers. I'm pretty sure that a power mill, arms manufacture, textile industry, and arsenal all produce 1 WS each, except for London which produces more.

Trade ports and requisition offices on the other hand seem to produce money.

Using all of England, I count a total of 15 WS produced per turn. The break down is: New Castle 1, York 2, Hull 1, Shrewsbury 1, Hereford 1, Birmingham 1, Lyme Regis 2, Taunton 1, Portsmouth 1, Norwich 1 and London maybe at 3 or more.

Anyone else have a better guess?

If I'm right, that means if all production is spent on replacement chits, the total game production will be 3 infantry, or 2 cavalry and 1 foot chits per turn. Remember, this is the total map production and the count is divided between two sides.

Folks, this is not the game to march up and down hills in nasty weather. Doing so will rapidly turn your armies into hollow shells, almost impossible to reinforce.

What do you think?

Edit:
There seems to be a limit on how much WS the king can produce. In a test game, even though the king controlled London and all sources of WS on the map, royalist WS production never exceeded 10 per turn.
Last edited by Straight Arrow on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:21 am

Yes, and it seems the troops had a tendency to go home when they felt like it.

Durk

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:31 am

Your list is much better than what I could have gathered. I do think, however, you have left Oxford off the list. If the crown holds Oxford, which you and I know is challenging to do, then a workshop or factory can be built to increase available WS.

Straight Arrow
General

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:59 pm

edit: Heads up - spoiler alert for some events. Do not read on unless you wish to have knowledge of the event before the event.

Here is the start of a list; please jump in to correct or add information.

Sources of WS for the king:
2 Grab Weapons events, late July 1642 & early February 1643, each giving 30 WS for 2 EP.
3 RDC Break Blockade cards each giving 5 WS for 5 pounds and 2 EP; then 1RDC Break Blockade card in early January giving 5 WS for 5 pounds and 2 EP.
The Oxford Center of Arms event which allows the production of 2 WS at Oxford.

Sources of replacements:
8 RDC recruitment cards, each having a chance of producing an infantry or cavalry replacement chit.
After you have taken prisoners, several Recruit Prisoner events, each producing an infantry replacement for 3 EP.

Sources of troops:
Letter to the Queen event that brings a French cavalry unit and 2 supply units for 2 EP.
Cessation of Arms event that allow recruitment of Irish infantry units for 3 NM & 3 EP.
Up to 8 Irish infantry units at 3 EP each.
5 Scottish clan units for 5 EP.
Last edited by Straight Arrow on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Please don't give the game's secrets away. I enjoyed finding a decision I had overlooked on earlier plays. It'll become like other games where they say "wait for the "XXX" event, then declare war on Y".

Fortunately I only read part of your post before realising what was happening. But it has already mucked up my next play because I know there is another gather weapons thing coming.

Straight Arrow
General

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Taillebois wrote:Please don't give the game's secrets away. I enjoyed finding a decision I had overlooked on earlier plays. It'll become like other games where they say "wait for the "XXX" event, then declare war on Y".

Fortunately I only read part of your post before realising what was happening. But it has already mucked up my next play because I know there is another gather weapons thing coming.

Right, I can see where you're coming from; I never look at the other side in a game until I play it.

Should I delete the posting?

Taillebois
General of the Army

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Well perhaps you can edit to say there are decisions that may lead to war supplies, or give a spoiler alert.

Return to “English Civil War”