Taillebois
General of the Army

So nice to be fighting in England, sort of

Sat May 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Well over the years I feel I know Normandy, the Ardennes, Gettysburg and Berlin.

But now, Lyme Regis - my house is about 5 miles from there.

And Gloucester; about 10 miles from where I write this.

And I am amply supplied with apostrophes for the myriad of forces I command.

Well done for making this game Liebst, There are some rather cringe inducing naming and map issues - I even tried to play it with the Spanish language on just to see if it added to the educational value - but I really admire you and others who put these efforts together.

I splashed out on the yet to be delivered box and DVD as a pointless gesture, but heck, Lyme Regis and no French Lieutenant's woman there.

Gracias.

Durk

Re: So nice to be fighting in England, sort of

Mon May 15, 2017 5:16 am

I so get this. I live in the American West and so love that Glorieta Pass is a potential site in CWII. Somehow, local is better than most anything else.

Morgan
Corporal

Mon May 15, 2017 6:00 am

I was surprised to see some people complaining about map inaccuracies over in the Matrix forum, specifically how the regions didn't match the true county borders, and only the larger cities are included. I suppose that it would be fun to have the Roundheads and Cavaliers fighting in the fields just outside of one's hometown, but gameplay requires a more abstract map than one made by the Ordinance Survey.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue May 16, 2017 7:43 am

I agree. There seem to be some real nit pickers over on the Matrix site.

It isn't only there and about this game. It seems some people rush to get a new thing just so they can immediately find an error of some sort and shout about it.

I don't think I could stand it if I had spent months of work making a game only for somebody to publicly say it is rubbish because there is a spelling error in the manual; or somebody thinks a region should have a different name.

Schoolboy errors and howlers are embarrassing though. I've made some in recent posts.

Manassassas
Conscript

Tue May 16, 2017 10:44 pm

Heh, I was pleasantly surprised to see my own hometown - Bradford - on the map even though it was probably only a very small settlement in the 1640s (it only grew to become a large city during the industrial revolution).

Erythroleukos
Civilian

Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:58 pm

I grew up in Bradford too. Did you know that there were three attacks on the city and one very brief siege straight after Adwalton Moor. That's probably why it's in the game. :)

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:24 am

From Wikipedia on Bradford

During the Civil War the town was garrisoned for the Parliamentarians and in 1642 was unsuccessfully attacked by Royalist forces from Leeds. Sir Thomas Fairfax took the command of the garrison and marched to meet the Duke of Newcastle but was defeated. The Parliamentarians retreated to Bradford and the Royalists set up headquarters at Bolling Hall from where the town was besieged leading to its surrender. The Civil War caused a decline in industry but after the accession of William and Mary in 1689 prosperity began to return.

Erythroleukos
Civilian

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Unfortunately this is one of those times that the Wikipedia article is not written very well or is plain incorrect.

Sir Thomas Fairfax was at Tadcaster for the battle in December 1642 and then withdrew his forces to Selby before moving Northwest and storming Leeds during January 1643. Bradford was first attacked in December 1642 by around 1000 men under Lord Evers but their half hearted attacks were easily beaten back by local clubmen, some 50 or so musketeers, a captain borrowed from Halifax (John Hodgson) and a good 10-12 sharpshooters stuck in the cathedral tower. There's a great account of the fight in the contemporary pamphlet 'The Rider of the White Horse' which was reprinted in the Bradford Library booklet 'The Sieges of Bradford' but I no longer have a copy.

Bradford was then briefly under siege by the Earl of Newcastle in June 1643 directly after the Battle of Adwalton Moor. Sir Thomas was definitely at Bradford then and managed to break out from the town during the night and escape to Selby and then Hull.

The second fight at Bradford was in March 1644 when two parliamentary regiments (John Lamberts horse and John Brights foote) had been sent in advance of Sir Thomas Fairfax's force which was returning to Yorkshire after Nantwich. They came into Bradford via Keighley and beat up two small royalist horse regiments (George Middletons and John Bradshaws) after a short fight. There is an account in one of the books on the Civil War in Yorkshire where the defeated royalists fled to Baildon Hall but they were certainly at Hunslet on the evening after where Lambert destroyed both of them in a night attack.

The third and final battle was an attack by John Belasyse, later in the same month, leading almost the entire remaining Yorkshire army including a sizeable contingent out of Nottinghamshire under George Porter. Lambert and Bright were the two regiments defending and put up a good account until they ran out of ammunition and then decided to break out of the two. During the breakout they managed to rout Porters entire Nottinghamshire force which caused the rest of the royalist army to break contact and retreat. On seeing this, Lamberts force promptly turned back around and returned back into Bradford.

Anyway, sorry for the history lesson but Wikipedia is usually terrible for anything but the most basic information and this was one of the times it was wrong.

Having said all this, is there any way to change Bradford to Parliamentarian control at the start of the game. I think it begins as Royalist controlled which is incorrect.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Bradford at start:

Loyalty: Royalist 24%, Parliament 25%

Control: Neutral (like almost everywhere else).

Who controls what by the time the standard goes up has a lot to do with what decision cards you and your opponent play.

Erythroleukos
Civilian

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Yes, you're correct and I saw that when I started Scenario 6. I'm sure that I saw Bradford as Royalist in the first training game (scenario 1?) and thought that carried through into the main game itself. My mistake.
I only bought the game on Saturday and I'm very new to it but I do like what I've seen so far.

Manassassas
Conscript

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Erythroleukos wrote:I grew up in Bradford too. Did you know that there were three attacks on the city and one very brief siege straight after Adwalton Moor. That's probably why it's in the game. :)

I was vaguely aware of the city's (then a town!) civil war history but I'm far from an expert. I also remember a school trip to Bolling Hall in my youth (I grew up only a couple of miles away from it in Odsal) although at the time I was probably more interested in the stories about it being haunted!

Return to “English Civil War”