phoenix
Captain

uses for smaller ships?

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Can anyone enlighten me as to the uses smaller ship types might be put to? I mean brigs, ketches etc. Not riverine transport - I understand what they're for. But smaller ocean boats, and the smaller boats on inland seas, and lakes. As I understand it, shore bombardment only happens (by selecting the button) if the boats are actually supporting your own land troops - so you can't range along distant shores getting them to bombard? That was one use I could see for smaller boats. They could be useful in a general ship way, of course - only smaller (perhaps if you only had money for smaller ships) - but I mean is there something special they were, as it were, designed for - some use they are meant to be put to, that they are particularly good for?

Thanks.

PhilThib

Re: uses for smaller ships?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Mostly useful for recon and privateer hunting :indien:

bkosar19
Sergeant

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:23 pm

As Phil stated, they're mostly useful for reconnaissance.

Against the AI, naval recon isn't all that important because the AI is not very good at handling its navies.

Against another human, who can and will use his navies for amphibious purposes and often in unexpected ways, then having small, fast ships for recon can be valuable.

phoenix
Captain

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks.

Return to “Wars of Succession”