HHFD50
Captain

The French Navy

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Maybe it is just me, I don’t know, but the French Navy seems a little underpowered for the 1700 campaign start. Even after it’s defeat at the battle of Vigo in 1702, the French Navy was a well armed force with professional crews still benefitting from Colbert’s brilliant reforms and successes in the 1690s. Never before or since had it been almost the equal of the Royal Navy. It successfully defended the French coasts and more importantly, the Spanish Treasure Fleet across the Atlantic. Yet in the game the French Navy even with its strong Spanish Allies cannot hope to successfully defend the Treasure Fleet or even win a major battle against the British especially early on. Not to mention, British Admiral George Rook is an absolute beast, almost Nelson-like and near impossible to defeat. Can something if anything be done to better represent the quality of the French Navy during this time-at all?

Searry
Colonel

Re: The French Navy

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:36 pm

I agree.

bkosar19
Sergeant

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm curious whether you've found much use for the French navy?

I'm currently up to 1705 as the Bourbons in the 1701 Spanish Succession scenario, and I've found very little use for the Bourbon navies except for the corsairs and frigates which I use as raiders in commerce boxes. My ship-of-the-line fleets have spent virtually the entire game just sitting in port. I've made a few attempts to chase down some smaller allied fleets, but they managed to easily avoid their pursuers.

Granted, I'm playing against the AI which has undoubtedly allowed me to get away with mostly ignoring the naval aspects of the game. The AI has its fleets just randomly wandering about the map to seemingly little purpose. It doesn't even support its armies when they're laying siege to ports by blockading. Syracuse has been under siege for 5-6 months at least, but with an open port it's been able to hold out. Yet, the AI won't blockade it. The AI just hasn't done anything with its navies to force me to respond.

However, I just laid siege to Barcelona and have ordered out the French Mediterranean fleet to blockade its port. So, maybe the scenario is reaching a point where I finally have to use my navies.

PhilThib

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:32 am

bkosar19 wrote:However, I just laid siege to Barcelona and have ordered out the French Mediterranean fleet to blockade its port. So, maybe the scenario is reaching a point where I finally have to use my navies.

Indeed....

Nothing prevents you to use your navy more aggressively.... the French fleet is very powerful and you can really hit the Alliance hard if you catch their secondary fleets off guard and avoid Rooke's stack (just like the Allies try to avoid fighting Napoleon directly in the Napoleonic wars)

HHFD50
Captain

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:36 pm

PhilThib wrote:
bkosar19 wrote:However, I just laid siege to Barcelona and have ordered out the French Mediterranean fleet to blockade its port. So, maybe the scenario is reaching a point where I finally have to use my navies.

Indeed....

Nothing prevents you to use your navy more aggressively.... the French fleet is very powerful and you can really hit the Alliance hard if you catch their secondary fleets off guard and avoid Rooke's stack (just like the Allies try to avoid fighting Napoleon directly in the Napoleonic wars)

Granted. However, Louis XIVs Navy was a far better fighting force than the navy Napoléon put out to sea a century later, the comparison is not even close. It was also closer in quality to the Royal Navy of the same era, something definitely not the case with Napoleon. And that is my point. I do not feel it is represented as such. It should be strong enough to offer battle in the open sea, instead of just playing cat and mouse all the time. In PBEM, the Bourbon player has to contend with the constant threat of naval invasions, and there is little to no way (or even a chance) of stopping them. As I mentioned, they can’t even protect the Spanish Treasure Fleet, something they DID do historically! Against the AI, it’s probably possible, but a human opponent? No chance.

HHFD50
Captain

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:36 pm

HHFD50 wrote:
PhilThib wrote:

Indeed....

Granted. However, Louis XIVs Navy was a far better fighting force than the navy Napoléon put out to sea a century later, the comparison is not even close. It was also closer in quality to the Royal Navy of the same era, something definitely not the case under Napoleon. And that is my point. I do not feel it is represented as such. It should be strong enough to offer battle in the open sea, instead of just playing cat and mouse all the time. In PBEM, the Bourbon player has to contend with the constant threat of naval invasions, and there is little to no way (or even a chance) of stopping them. As I mentioned, they can’t even protect the Spanish Treasure Fleet, something they DID do historically! Against the AI, it’s probably possible, but a human opponent who concentrates his fleets and uses them effectively? No chance.

HHFD50
Captain

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:40 pm

By the way, Phil, I want to say that despite my “complaint” the game is fantastic! It was well worth the extra time needed to deliver an awesome product! :)

Return to “Wars of Succession”