phoenix
Captain

graphics issue

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:37 pm

I bought WoS, but can't play it. I have also TYW, CW2, TEAW, WoN. Whether or not the games work on my laptop (a decent gaming laptop that runs much more intensive games without issues) depends on whether they trigger the dedicated Nvdia graphics card. The laptop features a very common (these days) system where it has an SSD (on which I install the games) and a HDD (for data), and also 2 graphics cards - the useless intel integrated graphics chip, plus a good Nvidia card. Some games refuse to use the Nvdia card (not just AGEOD games) and run rubbish - jerky, unplayable. Of the AGEOD games I have (listed above) ONLY CW2 and WoN use the Nvdia card.

So WoS joins the club of unplayable AGEOD games for that reason. Not a reason I could discover until I'd bought and installed it. And I bought it on Matrix, not Steam (silly me) so can't send it back. The scrolling is hopelessly jerky. Why? Because it's using the intel graphics card. Can anyone tell me - from the dev team, I mean - whether they even understand why this should be so - why some AGEOD games would manage to get the computer to select the NVidia card and others wouldn't? Does anyone even understand the mechanics of this - how to get the Nvidia card triggered?

Things that don't work have already been tried - many, many, many things. Hours of online research coming to zip. The card is selected as the default for all these games, but that makes no difference, for instance. It just comes down to something in the program that triggers the use of the Nvidia card or doesn't. I don't know what it is - but CW2 and WoN do it and all the others, including WoS, don't. Any chance of help?

Thanks.

Searry
Colonel

Re: graphics issue

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:01 pm

You need to go to bios and disable the Intel card. Google is your friend.

phoenix
Captain

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:23 pm

Well, as I said - many hours of research under the belt. Thanks for trying. But (a) there is no such option under the bios for my machine (and no hidden bios options either), (b) I found out (painfully) via the 'work-around' for that (uninstalling the drivers for the intel graphics chip) and various other idiotic solutions that ALL video, whatever the source, is routed through the intel graphics chip. Hence disabling it, in any way, results in NO video.

As I hoped I implied above - thanks, but I don't need suggestions for me to fix this, because the problem now has a two year history of trying everything - I need the devs to say why some of their games trigger the card and others don't and whether they might have a fix for that.

PhilThib

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:10 am

Will convey your worries to the dev team. In the meanwhile can you contact the support team so they can provide some assistance. There: support@slitherine.co.uk

phoenix
Captain

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks.

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:01 am

It also helps to go into the settings folder and edit the General.opt file change this line:

// Precaching the regions images
PreCaching = 0

Change it from 0 to 1 you will notice a performance boost less laggy when scrolling.

Lemelem
Private

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=41306&p=364951&hilit=dx8todx9#p364951

it's work for me. Nvidia optimus problem.

phoenix
Captain

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Wow! 2 years I've been trying to find a fix for this, no joy. I had never come across the Dx wrapper thing anywhere. And now - MAGIC!! So many thanks for the link, Lemelem! It works! I'm astonished. I will now try this with all the games that have this issue!

Lemelem
Private

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Happy to help :mdr:

WallysWorld
Captain

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Comtedemeighan wrote:It also helps to go into the settings folder and edit the General.opt file change this line:
// Precaching the regions images
PreCaching = 0
Change it from 0 to 1 you will notice a performance boost less laggy when scrolling.

I changed that variable for Wars of Succession so many thanks for that!

I also changed ScrollDelay from 100 down to 10 for all of my Ageod games and now the scrolling is pretty good. Sometimes too fast in games like TYW. Even TEAW and WoN scroll nicely now.

ScrollAmount = 200
ScrollDelay = 10 // used to be 100
ScrollIncrease = 4

I cannot take credit for the ScrollDelay change as someone else posted about that a while ago and I forgot who the poster was.
Last edited by WallysWorld on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WallysWorld
Captain

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:16 pm

Double post!
Last edited by WallysWorld on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WallysWorld
Captain

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:16 pm

Yikes! Triple post!

What was I doing?!

phoenix
Captain

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:24 pm

I'll try that too. Thanks.

I've also found that I cannot load all textures at start ( a different setting to the pre-caching setting you suggest above, I believe) because the game hangs at start if I choose that, despite 8GB of RAM and nearly 350GB of available hdd space. However, somewhat boringly, scrolling can be made to work very well indeed if you take time to methodically view the entire map at scenario start. First pass it's jerky, then smooth. I guess this just loads all the textures.

WallysWorld
Captain

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 pm

I forgot that I also modified the below line to say 75 in the General.opt file.

With 12 GB of RAM, I'm not having any issues loading the game, but Pocus did say once that increasing this number may cause issues.

// How much of the physical memory % we allow to be used before cache is checked for old textures
MemUsage = 75

And yes, without the PreCaching set to 1, you have to scroll around the map to get all of the textures to load before the map finally turns smooth.

Return to “Wars of Succession”