prithupaul
Civilian

Wars of Succesion

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:45 pm

For a moment I thought this meant Wars of the Diadochi [Diadochus = Successor].

Damn! Now I am sad.

May be someday? I think Alexander's and the Diadochi's Wars would be a great setting for this type of gameplay.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Re: Wars of Succesion

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:14 am

The Diadochi would be a fantastic subject for a game, but I'm not sure that the Ageod engine could handle it properly.

It was too much of a civil war, and armies could (and did) quickly turn on their commanders and change sides. Perdiccas was about to win the civil war when his troops took too many casualties staging an assault across the Nile, and they turned on him and killed him. I don't think Ageod's national morale mechanic was designed to handle that kind of thing.

By the time of the Epigoni (the next generation of rulers), the Successor states were acting a bit more like actual countries. But the subject is so far off normal people's radar that I doubt you could get anyone to buy it (even if you told them about the elephants).

Lemoni
Sergeant

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Well Philippe,
I challenge you. Ask as many of your friends in France (normal people no gamers no historians) who was Alexander, Antigonus, Cassander, Antipater etc and then who was Carl XII, Pjotr I ,Frederik IV, August II etc. I am
very curius for the results. I dont want to do this test here in Greece because it won t be fair.
I own ageod 's flagship PON , the excellent AJE and the very stable and perfect gameplay WIA.
You are the best in whatever you do so please reconsider Successors or Pelloponisian wars with all Greek states of the era, or at least have it in the back of your mind
Yours ,George

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 pm

I think you missed the distinction between the Epigoni and the Diadochi.

Antigonus, Cassander, and Antipater aren't Epigoni, and they are well known precisely because they are Diadochi.

The Ageod engine would work for the Epigoni, but the only way to slip them past the general public would be to include them in Birth of Rome or AJE DLC's (and some of them are there already).

A game about the Diadochi, on the other hand, would be a lot like an accelerated version of the Wars of the Roses on a much bigger map.

If you want to see the Diadochi in a computer game, you should convince GMT games to release a digital version of The Successors (or play it on Vassal).

prithupaul
Civilian

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Peloponnesian War sounds great as well.

I would be glad to see an AGEOD game about Alexander, or the Diadochi Kingdoms, or the Peloponnesian War. Given the amount of heroic figures, dramatic events, and decisive and interesting battles, I think those wars do not get nearly the love they deserve in popular entertainment these.

nlancier
Lieutenant

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Gents, will WSS have this delayed move order ?
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

Yee Haa
Private

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 am

Wow this is an old thread but I also feel that the AGE engine would make a great Peloponnesian, Alexander, Diadochi game. Why not all three in the AJE vein of (admiterdly large)DLC campaigns. The map should include Sicily and Italy and extend east to India and the Punjab. If necessary large area's could be greyed out for the different campaigns although large area's would still be relevent to most campaigns. The Peloponnesian war would include Sicily and southern Italy all the way to the eastern marches of Persia and north to the Crimea and south to Upper Egypt. The Diadochi the same. In fact one could go the whole hog and include eastern Spain and Southern France which would mean the whole of the Med would be portrayed so Carthage could be included and even a young Rome. Look I am just spitballing here but I would love to see a Peloponnesian war game and also the Diadochi. Alexander though it has been done before would also be good as well as providing continuity between the two periods I most want to see. Please, please AGEOD consider a large scale Med based game which concentrates on the Peloponnesian War and the Diadochi (and Alexander ;)

PhilThib

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:55 am

Noted, but don't hijack the thread...we are talking Sun King here, not Greek... :papy:

Yee Haa
Private

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:17 am

I have always thought that the Diadochi, in fact the entire Successor States period would make a fantastic game. As mentioned above the somewhat low morale or at leasat commitment of the troops to their leaders would have to be modelled but surely either operational morale or national morale or a mix of the two could be modified to introduce this factor as a game mechanic. I mean this period is interesting everywhere. The struggles in Europe between the Greek city states, Epirus and Macedonia never mind the Romans in Magna Graecia and the Carthaginians in Sicily. In the east you have ready made factions such as the Royal Argead faction, Antipater and the Macedonian homeland, the Greek city states (perhaps organised in to Leagues or factions although i would like to see the larger city states each being an independent faction to be suborned by one or other of the Diadochi. The cast of characters is no less inspiring. Perdicas and Ptolomy, Antigonus and Demetrius (now there was a man of his time) Pyrrhus of Epirus the list goes on and on. This and the Peloponnesian War are the two millieu I have always most wanted to see attempted by AGEOD and the AGE engine or perhaps PARADOX (I believe you guys are linked now?). Neither has been successfully portrayed and both offer so much factional and historical immersiveness. I know this is an old thread but I hope someone with the company picks up on it or at least reads it and has the kernal of an idea implanted there..... Pocus you still work for this lot?

Nikel

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:03 am

Looks like a robot :rolleyes:

Return to “Wars of Succession”