GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Ya gotta use a Phillips head.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

oho
Corporal

Mon May 02, 2016 5:04 pm

What exactly do you mean by 'Beefed up Austrian/Russian AI for 1805 campaign (only)'?

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 02, 2016 9:34 pm

RebelYell wrote:I again tried to install your mod but messed it up again, I feel really stupid for not getting it working. :bonk:

Find where your Wars of Napoleon was installed. It's usually in c:\program files\matrix games\wars of napoleon. I put mine in c:\games\Wars of Napoleon

Verify this is your install directory. it should have both MODPATH.INI file and NGC.EXE files. You at the right spot.

Download the full zip file into this directory. No where else. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Unzip for here. It will create the ED directory and the game files underneath it

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 02, 2016 9:36 pm

oho wrote:What exactly do you mean by 'Beefed up Austrian/Russian AI for 1805 campaign (only)'?

It means I added steak, a bit of Mignon and some tri-tips to the Austrian troop meals. Hopefully they fight a bit better.

It means I added leader agents, focused Austria on defense rather than offense and focused Russia also on defense in a few Austrian regions. Hopefully there will be a much better fight. I'm not going to carry this onto other campaigns yet until it at least proves to be working better for Pressburg. France will still win, just hoping to make it harder.

oho
Corporal

Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 pm

what do mean by "only 1805 cmapign"? I only can choose Jan 1805 and August 1805. I started already a 1805 Aug. campaign. Would it apply here too?

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Both Scenarios will be fine.

I made the AI events specific to PRIOR to pressburg. After pressburg, I'll add AI events for Prussia, Russia, Austria and possibly Britain prior to Tilsit. After Tilsit, Spain. After Spain, everyone against France. But this is first generation on AI so I'm starting with Austria, prior to Pressburg.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 03, 2016 12:45 pm

vicberg wrote:Both Scenarios will be fine.

I made the AI events specific to PRIOR to pressburg. After pressburg, I'll add AI events for Prussia, Russia, Austria and possibly Britain prior to Tilsit. After Tilsit, Spain. After Spain, everyone against France. But this is first generation on AI so I'm starting with Austria, prior to Pressburg.

Vicberg, I just want to thank you for all your work. I am going to try your mod this weekend. You are a worthy successor to the Clovises and other great modders of past AGEOD games.

zooter
Captain

Tue May 03, 2016 3:58 pm

At then end of 1806 I noticed there are 3000+ Spanish in Paris.

zooter
Captain

Tue May 03, 2016 3:59 pm

I second that statement.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Tue May 03, 2016 6:17 pm

Vicburg, what was wrong with the Duchy of Warsaw event firing and not happening ?

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 03, 2016 11:17 pm

You didn't have 200 EP for the creation. When you click on the event it temporarily marked you down 200 EP down to -180. But it doesn't launch the event and gives you that back

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 05, 2016 5:53 pm

am playing the mod with the official patch and some things seem off (playing an august 1805 game):
- There are no military modifiers, the F3 ledger is always empty.
- In January 1806 no new generals anywhere for France ?

is this all wad ?

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 05, 2016 5:57 pm

No there should be factional modifiers and leaders. I'll check it out

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 05, 2016 6:19 pm

vicberg wrote:No there should be factional modifiers and leaders. I'll check it out

military modifiers have never been there in my game.

btw is it normal that your mod says i am using the march 24 patch ?

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 05, 2016 6:40 pm

No I forgot to update the settings file with latest release date

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 05, 2016 6:40 pm

vicberg wrote:No I forgot to update the settings file with latest release date

Ah ok, thanks !

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 06, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Vicberg, I hope you'll be able to fix the issues I found in your mod (military modifiers and missing new leaders in 1806) if indeed they are an issue with your mod and not the patch.

Regarding the feel of your mod so far playing as the french in SP : I really like what you have tried to do to circumvent the issues in the vanilla game, particularly in matters of expeditionary forces and force builds by minors. I just have a few ideas / questions :
- If there was a way for all those minors to go under direct french control in game BUT keep their flags on the map, it would be great. It might just be chrome but this massive blurb of france has a distinct arcade feeling. If there was a way for the Swiss / Koi / etc flags to still be there.
- I find that horses are a real bottleneck in your mod, probably as should be for the french anyway.
- Accumulating the EPs is super tricky and the script for annexing minors is sneaking : the HRE declared war on me as I was battling Austria and Prussia (it had dowed Bavaria so I counted dowed) and after a battle with the Prussians in Francfort I stormed the city and boom, next turn I had annexed it and paid 100 EPs (i think) for it... Getting the 400 EPs for the RHC is going to be really hard.
- I find that including Bavaria in the RHC event is quite radical, Bavaria is probably the one minor I would treat differently to emulate their particular status. it's part of those inbetweeners with Danemark and Sweden that really aren't majors but not really pure minors either, + it really is the only minor for which for reasons unbeknwonst to me the expeditionnary force thing seems to work reliably. So it might be the only Minot I wouldn't "annex".
- The wargaming part is also considerably improved : In vanilla Archduke Karl runs to Bavaria straight away and arrives on the other side of the Alps while Mack has or is being crushed and gets beaten piecemeal by the Grande Armée. Here he stayed in Italy and since I had been careless we had a few running battles in Verona/Treviso/Venezia. french numbers eventually bore out, but he really bled the Armée d'Italie with 3/4 battles where I would lose 8 000 to his 6 000 or so. It massively ate at my replacements and I haven't built much since the start.

I really want to command you for your hard work on this !

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 06, 2016 1:57 pm

I found the issue and am now verifying the fix. AGEOD has some scripts that call other scripts and some scripts that have events embedded and also call other scripts. This can be a challenge when I have a program extracting the events. I had to change the program prior to this last release and there was an issue that would have affected leaders/factional mods.

I'll post a new release here in a bit.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 06, 2016 2:04 pm

veji1 wrote:Hi Vicberg, I hope you'll be able to fix the issues I found in your mod (military modifiers and missing new leaders in 1806) if indeed they are an issue with your mod and not the patch.

Regarding the feel of your mod so far playing as the french in SP : I really like what you have tried to do to circumvent the issues in the vanilla game, particularly in matters of expeditionary forces and force builds by minors. I just have a few ideas / questions :
- If there was a way for all those minors to go under direct french control in game BUT keep their flags on the map, it would be great. It might just be chrome but this massive blurb of france has a distinct arcade feeling. If there was a way for the Swiss / Koi / etc flags to still be there.
- I find that horses are a real bottleneck in your mod, probably as should be for the french anyway.
- Accumulating the EPs is super tricky and the script for annexing minors is sneaking : the HRE declared war on me as I was battling Austria and Prussia (it had dowed Bavaria so I counted dowed) and after a battle with the Prussians in Francfort I stormed the city and boom, next turn I had annexed it and paid 100 EPs (i think) for it... Getting the 400 EPs for the RHC is going to be really hard.
- I find that including Bavaria in the RHC event is quite radical, Bavaria is probably the one minor I would treat differently to emulate their particular status. it's part of those inbetweeners with Danemark and Sweden that really aren't majors but not really pure minors either, + it really is the only minor for which for reasons unbeknwonst to me the expeditionnary force thing seems to work reliably. So it might be the only Minot I wouldn't "annex".
- The wargaming part is also considerably improved : In vanilla Archduke Karl runs to Bavaria straight away and arrives on the other side of the Alps while Mack has or is being crushed and gets beaten piecemeal by the Grande Armée. Here he stayed in Italy and since I had been careless we had a few running battles in Verona/Treviso/Venezia. french numbers eventually bore out, but he really bled the Armée d'Italie with 3/4 battles where I would lose 8 000 to his 6 000 or so. It massively ate at my replacements and I haven't built much since the start.

I really want to command you for your hard work on this !

Currently, you can see the difference in troops by uniform but not by background. But it would be nice to have the country color background. When I add the units to the French build pool, the engine is converting the background color to France. I'll need to figure out how to maintain the country background color.

You do have to be careful with the automatic annexations. I wanted to use RGD cards, but found issues identifying the region it was played in and it pushed performance of the game off the edge. HRE declaring war is a first. If you don't do any other annexation events or automatic annexations, you can get RHC going by around early 1806. You need < 30 elements to not trigger automatic annexation. A division will usually smash any minor like HRE.

It's not in the mod yet, but when/if Denmark joins the alliance, they will be annexed into France (essentially) as well. Bavaria, Sweden. AI can't be relied upon. Humans control fully the minor (or semi-major) in question. Not the AI.

Thanks for the feedback on AI improvements. It's just the beginning.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 06, 2016 2:47 pm

vicberg wrote:Currently, you can see the difference in troops by uniform but not by background. But it would be nice to have the country color background. When I add the units to the French build pool, the engine is converting the background color to France. I'll need to figure out how to maintain the country background color.

You do have to be careful with the automatic annexations. I wanted to use RGD cards, but found issues identifying the region it was played in and it pushed performance of the game off the edge. HRE declaring war is a first. If you don't do any other annexation events or automatic annexations, you can get RHC going by around early 1806. You need < 30 elements to not trigger automatic annexation. A division will usually smash any minor like HRE.

It's not in the mod yet, but when/if Denmark joins the alliance, they will be annexed into France (essentially) as well. Bavaria, Sweden. AI can't be relied upon. Humans control fully the minor (or semi-major) in question. Not the AI.

Thanks for the feedback on AI improvements. It's just the beginning.

I understand that you have to go all the way with all minors including the biggest ones since the game just can't quite manage. A question I have though is whether you shouldn't dissociate Bavaria from the rest of the RHC minors and not include it in the RHC event. Maybe make the Bavaria annexation a different event that can only fire 1/ After the RHC event and 2/ in 1807 at the earliest. The reasonning being that Sure Bavaria provided many troops but it was not one of those many minors that France either placed puppet rulers on or married into the family system (Baden, Berg and so on...).

Regarding the flag issue, it's mainly a map thing but it would be nice if basically the swiss, koi and so flags and colors could still exist on map even though they are absorbed into France.

Regarding the auto-annexation events, i think it was Ney's Corps who arrived on Frankfurt with an assault position to smash a 500 cp Prussian stack and, well, he took everything with him and annexed the HRE in one go ! A bit of overeagerness I guess.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 06, 2016 3:40 pm

I originally had Bavaria controlled by France from start of game. Based on quite a bit of feedback, it was determined the best place to put it in in RHC, since Bavaria did become part of the RHC.

The flags on the map aren't possible. They represent Military Control. When a country is absorbed, the major power gets military control over the minor. Nothing can be done about the flags. You can use a filter to see the political countries. They show nicely there.

I'm not honestly happy with auto-annexation. What I would really like to see is an annex option under the diplomatic engine that executes my own script. Unfortunately, there's little to no documentation on how to do this in the Wiki, at least none that I can find.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 06, 2016 8:02 pm

New release deployed. Links to it are scattered throughout this thread.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 07, 2016 10:56 am

I downloaded the new version from the link on the first post, it does show 1.02 on the loading page but just to let you know, 8 turns in in a new game the military modifiers still aren't there so the issue might linger and i'll see if I get the new leaders in january or not.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Sit tight. I'm running through a few turns. The factional modifiers are there. I saw them. Now why they aren't kicking off is another story.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Found the problem. Running through a few turns and I'll deploy another release.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Everything is back now. New release deployed. Multiple links contained in this thread.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 09, 2016 9:31 am

Hi Vicberg, I played your mod a fair bit this weekend, probably won't be able to play much for the next month or so but i wanted to have a look at ways this game could improve and your mod looked like a good "out of the box thinking" exercice.

I really like it, of course it's too "brutal" because so far only brutal solutions can fix the issues of non fonctionning interactions between majors and minors, particularly minor full allies, ie vassals. But the work is really good and a bit like Clovis in his time I also greatly appreciate what you are trying to do to the AI.

Just one issue I wanted to point, it looks to me like the last version of your mod slows down the turn resolution quite a lot after a few turns. It never happened before with the vanilla game or your mod, but with the last version after 3/4 turns I would start having turn resolution go really slow, it was noticeable during battles where the sound effects were effectively slowed down and really lagging. I don't know if there is something there or not, but I figure I should point it out.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Here's a quick fix for the build supply depot issue. The AI is going nuts building supply depots using RGD cards. I've added a few commands to prevent this from happening.

Please apply this file to Wars of Napoleon/ED/GameData/RgnDecisions, replacing the file that is already there.

[ATTACH]38813[/ATTACH]
Attachments
19-Build Depot.zip
(501 Bytes) Downloaded 253 times

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 09, 2016 3:09 pm

veji1 wrote:Hi Vicberg, I played your mod a fair bit this weekend, probably won't be able to play much for the next month or so but i wanted to have a look at ways this game could improve and your mod looked like a good "out of the box thinking" exercice.

I really like it, of course it's too "brutal" because so far only brutal solutions can fix the issues of non fonctionning interactions between majors and minors, particularly minor full allies, ie vassals. But the work is really good and a bit like Clovis in his time I also greatly appreciate what you are trying to do to the AI.

Just one issue I wanted to point, it looks to me like the last version of your mod slows down the turn resolution quite a lot after a few turns. It never happened before with the vanilla game or your mod, but with the last version after 3/4 turns I would start having turn resolution go really slow, it was noticeable during battles where the sound effects were effectively slowed down and really lagging. I don't know if there is something there or not, but I figure I should point it out.

There are more rolls. AGEOD, by design, had the cohesion and damage increased to account for some issues like this. I toned these down, meaning combats will last longer. This in turn uses more computer memory. I don't have sounds on personally, so that is somewhat beyond me. I have noticed laggy response rates, and that may be due to the increased memory demands that the mod is requiring.

The answer is to do the age old tradition of upgrading or living with the decreased performance.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 09, 2016 3:57 pm

vicberg wrote:There are more rolls. AGEOD, by design, had the cohesion and damage increased to account for some issues like this. I toned these down, meaning combats will last longer. This in turn uses more computer memory. I don't have sounds on personally, so that is somewhat beyond me. I have noticed laggy response rates, and that may be due to the increased memory demands that the mod is requiring.

The answer is to do the age old tradition of upgrading or living with the decreased performance.

Thanks, it's just that I had'nt noticed when using your mod earlier on thursday before you fixed some issues (national modifiers and such) so I thought maybe it had to do with some last fixes.

Return to “WON Mods”