phoenix
Captain

1. Red shading of regions, 2. pics here?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:09 am

Someone with authority can move this post to the general forum. What is it with this forum? You can't post pics in the general forum? So how am I meant to ask general questions, with explanatory pics attached? It's crazy.

So here's a question in the wrong sub-forum, with a pic attached. When I select Fuchs's army the region below Hannover (I think it's Padderbon) becomes highlighted red. Why? See pic below. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

1.gif
1.gif (306.89 KiB) Viewed 5976 times

Ripster8
Colonel

Re: 1. Red shading of regions, 2. pics here?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:30 pm

I believe the red shading indicates that for the Protestant force you have selected the red region is under the military control of the Catholics and you will not be able to retreat into it if you are defeated in combat. I have also seen times when I couldn't even move an army into a red-shaded region. I had to find another force to come and move into the region in order to establish friendly military control, but that might have been a unique situation.

arsan

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi!

The red shading marks the region (or regions) you cannot move the currently selected army because of the ZOC (zone of control) the enemy army you share the region with is exerting on you.

You will need a certain amount of military control on a surrounding region to be able to move there when in a enemy ZOC, which can happen because of an enemy army or an enemy fortress is sharing a region with your force.
There is a ZOC icon on the lower right panel. It's tooltip will tell you how strong the ZOC is and what military control you need on a region to be able to enter it.

Bear in mind the ZOC depends of the military control of the surrounding regions, the patrol value of the enemy force and the evasion of your force.
If you detach your cavalry units you probably will see no red region as they are more mobile and can penetrate on enemy territory more easely.
Sometimes leaving wagons and arty behind is enough to escape an enemy force ZOC. That, or sending some other friendly force to get some military contol of the red region.

Here you have a ton of info and numbers about ZOC's in AGEOD games
viewtopic.php?t=13103

Not that you need to know all that to play, but just in case you like to know all the details. ;)

Regards

phoenix
Captain

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Many thanks, Ripster and Arsan for taking the time to reply so helpfully - it's very much appreciated.

Return to “TYW AARs”