Svantevid
Civilian

Inner Austria

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:38 pm

One reason I bought this game was because it was described as historical and educational. Being from Slovenia, in games like this I always check how Slovene lands are represented, and I did the same here on starting the tutorial. I was quite disappointed to find most of the Inner Austria was not part of the HRE at all, but marked as Ottoman Empire, Ottoman Theatre. Which put me off playing any further. I should also mention that names of the provinces (or whatever they're called here) are a haphazard mixture of German and Slovene names (IMO, to keep with the period, only German should be used), and Slovenija is written over the region on the map, even while being a 1848 concept.

Needless to say, Slovene lands were part of HRE since Charlemagne, and Inner Austria of the period was part of Hapsburg hereditary lands.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:25 pm

The thing to do is to post a list of the provinces you think have the wrong names, post a list of what you think the names should be, and post some documentation for each proposed change.

17th century Slovenia is not something that most people will get right on the first try so I think you should cut Leibstandarte a little slack on this.

(And I'm still holding my breath for an Eighty Years War module).

Leibst

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:32 pm

i did studied it with care maps of that era, but, if something can be fixed easily (not the map) just tell me ;)
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:02 pm

Leibstandarte wrote:i did studied carelesly maps of that era, but, if something can be fixed easily (not the map) just tell me ;)

English isn't my first language either, but I don't think you meant to use the fourth word in your post.

I haven't researched it at all, but assuming that Slovenia wasn't Ottoman territory during the period covered by the game, what you would probably need to do is to make parts of the map available for movement and recruiting for the HRE player.

Svantevid
Civilian

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:11 pm

Exactly my point. Slovenian lands, in 17th century called Inner Austria - comprising lands of Krain (Carniola), Kaernten (Carinthia), Steiermark (Styria), and Goerz and Gradisca - were never part of Ottoman empire, and part of the HRE from its beginning to its end.

And Philippe, we're not talking about 17th century Slovenia (non-existent), but 17th century Austria.

When I have time, I'll compile a list of provinces that should be added to the HRE. As a documentation, any book on the HRE should do, I imagine, just check its SE border. For the 30 years war period, I'd suggest Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson.

Leibst

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Philippe wrote:English isn't my first language either, but I don't think you meant to use the fourth word in your post....
ooops :bonk: , fixed
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Svantevid
Civilian

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:01 pm

For a start, I'll only list the province names, such as they are, that should belong to HRE. There are further provinces to south and east that were part of the crown of Hungary, held by Hapsburg emperors - not part of HRE, but also not Ottoman.

Kaernten - Carinthia:
Villach
Voelkermarkt
Klagenfurt
Velden

Steiermark - Styria:
Graz
Leibnitz
Maribor

Krain - Carniola:
Bled
Laibach
Trbovlje
Caporetto
Postojna
Idrija
Cerknica
Krsko
Novo mesto
Kocevje

There are also provinces that are shown as part of Republic of Venice, but should also belong to Austria and HRE:
Trieste
Pazin
Gorizia

There are also many geographical problems, provinces not located where they should be (Velden and Voelkermarkt, for example, should clearly change places), and the inconsistency of naming - IMO, names should either reflect the historical situation (German) or present (Slovene), but not a mixture. Not to mention Caporetto (Italian) fits neither. Furthermore, I think names should be given after towns that were important in the 17th century, not today (like Trbovlje).

If there is any interest, I'll go into more detail, but I don't want to spend a lot of time for nothing, if my suggestions are disregarded out of hand, for whatever reason.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:21 pm

It's just a question of time before we get an AGEOD game based on the Habsburg-Ottoman conflicts, isn't it?! Let's conquer new markets! ;)
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]
- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

Leibst

Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:38 pm

TYW has potential to grow in diferent ways.
HQ website

Return to “Help improve TYW”