Gullwing91
Conscript

Problems with crashes and saving settings

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Very nice game, I'm enjoying the campaign playing Protestant. However, I have had a crash (details in the zip file together with screenshot of the Windows error message) and there appears to be a problem with saving settings.

I have a three monitor set up. With settings for Ageod games I have always been able to change the default "Use desktop resolution" setting to the resolution of my main monitor i.e. 1920x1200. However with TYW I can't it just reverts back to the default, which splits the game between two screens making it unplayable. I can play by leaving the settings dialogue open but I have to do that every time I launch the game.
Attachments
crash.zip
(134.85 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Pocus

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:31 am

Can you try doing the same with one of your other Ageod game, because here nothing changed for TYW, so perhaps this is a problem with Windows and admin privilege?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gullwing91
Conscript

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Fair point, I meant to include something about the other games (I have five now, from which you can take it that I like them!)

I have had similar crashes with CWII. However, they don't repeat-you can load the same save game again and it usually works fine. If there is going to be a crash it is invariably when there is a lot of movement going on at turn resolution.

I reloaded the TYW save game I sent you and it worked fine. Did you see that in the zip there was a screenshot of a windows error message? This is the first time I have seen such a specific message, usually I get the stock "has stopped working and needs to close" message.

It's not admin privilege issue because since Vista I've run Windows with full admin privileges and disabled UFC completely (with good consequences for my sanity no bad ones for my computer). Currently I am using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

The other games vary: CWII crashes most often but still not enough to be a problem. RUS and Rise of Prussia have done once each (over hours of play) and EAW has been 100% stable (and I've played that one most). The crashes are an irritant but that's all, none of your games is anywhere near being unstable. It may be my setup of course, can let you have full specs plus dxdiag info if you wanted to investigate.

Regarding the settings issue, please disregard that, I had a problem the first couple of times for some reason, but now the game is starting in the right resolution every time.

I hope this information is some help.

Pocus

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:39 pm

For the rest of issues, i.e not the settings, then it's better to contact the helpdesk, as this is probably something not strictly related to the game engine: support@slitherine.co.uk. You can copy paste this message, it can help.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gullwing91
Conscript

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:25 pm

OK I will, that's helpful thanks.

Return to “TYW Technical support / Aide technique”