HeinzHarald
Private

The game sometime doesn't quit properly

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Two times when quitting the game the process was still running in the background and visible in the Windows taskbar afterwards. When I force closed after a couple of minutes Windows told me the application wasn't responding but didn't give me any more info than that.

Both times I had just finished The Paladins scenario, once on each side.

I'm on a Surface Pro 3 running the latest preview of Windows 10 so it's not the ideal setup for gaming stability and force closing once in a while isn't much of an issue, but I figured it's better to report it anyway.

Leibst

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:32 pm

that happens to me,but in a mac, Windows 7 over Parallels.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

TJD
Sergeant

Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:00 pm

HeinzHarald wrote:I'm on a Surface Pro 3 running the latest preview of Windows 10 so it's not the ideal setup for gaming stability and force closing once in a while isn't much of an issue, but I figured it's better to report it anyway.

I just picked up a Surface Pro 3 and wonder how you're finding it for gaming. Any overheating issues? So far I've limited my gaming on it to streaming from Steam.

HeinzHarald
Private

Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:09 pm

TJD wrote:I just picked up a Surface Pro 3 and wonder how you're finding it for gaming. Any overheating issues? So far I've limited my gaming on it to streaming from Steam.

Pretty much no overheating issues at all, but I bought the i3 version precisely because I had read of overheating when gaming with the i5 and i7 versions (the i3 doesn't do turbo mode). I'd rather have a weaker but more stable tablet, and don't really need the power for Office and web stuff. I need to do a bit of trickery to deal with the small SSD though...

Games I've played for hours on my SP3 with decent performance and quality (or better) and no overheating include:
Civil War 2
Europa Universalis 4
Pike & Shot (this one does run the SP3 hot, but no overheating so far)
Rule The Waves
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm
Gary Grigsby's War in the West
Civ 5
Ultra Street Fighter 4

For gaming on the SP3 I have two tips:
* Give up on trying to play using the pen (if you haven't already). For gaming in any place and position it's much better to get a wireless trackball (I use the Logitech MX570).
* Enable 1200x800 resolution. It's above minimum for almost all games, and keeps the 3:2 aspect ratio. It can't be done by default, but I found a reg file that did the trick. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

TJD
Sergeant

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:34 pm

HeinzHarald wrote:Pretty much no overheating issues at all, but I bought the i3 version precisely because I had read of overheating when gaming with the i5 and i7 versions (the i3 doesn't do turbo mode). I'd rather have a weaker but more stable tablet, and don't really need the power for Office and web stuff. I need to do a bit of trickery to deal with the small SSD though...

Games I've played for hours on my SP3 with decent performance and quality (or better) and no overheating include:
Civil War 2
Europa Universalis 4
Pike & Shot (this one does run the SP3 hot, but no overheating so far)
Rule The Waves
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm
Gary Grigsby's War in the West
Civ 5
Ultra Street Fighter 4

For gaming on the SP3 I have two tips:
* Give up on trying to play using the pen (if you haven't already). For gaming in any place and position it's much better to get a wireless trackball (I use the Logitech MX570).
* Enable 1200x800 resolution. It's above minimum for almost all games, and keeps the 3:2 aspect ratio. It can't be done by default, but I found a reg file that did the trick. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Thanks for the feedback, HeinzHarald! Appreciate it. I'll give it a try and will get back to you about the reg file if needed.

Return to “TYW Technical support / Aide technique”