captain14
Sergeant

Danish Funds and Historical accuracy

Sat May 06, 2017 10:21 am

Gentlemen,

Now I am hoping someone can provide a clear historical justification for this (otherwise it is the biggest elephant in the room I have seen in my plethora of Aegod games).

Now what is the source of data for Denmark to enter the game with 400 gold?

So the Pope with the resources of all Catholic Christendom can barely supply 2-3% of this amount.
The Spanish King with the wealth of the New World supplies a similar amount.

Now I know Christian of Denmark was a micromanager and fiddled with taxes but 400 Gold worth?

I am actually amazed no-one has asked this question before given the financial parities of the game.

As I said Historical justification and I am happy, but to date I can't find one.

arsan

Re: Danish Funds and Historical accuracy

Sat May 06, 2017 11:06 am

I read some time ago Geoffrey Parker Thirty Year War and I recall he mentioned Danemark had a very healthy tax situation because of the Sound strait tolls and that they gave a great money influx to the protestant side when they get into the war. On the military side the help wasn't that great...

Cant give you more precise info as I picked the book from the library, I don't have it around.

Bear in mind that in game Danemark won't give any more income to the protestants. They give no yearly income and their cities give no further bianual tax .
The 400 thalers are all they give... And it doesn't last that longer if the war is not going well for the protestants.

Regards!

Bruit Bleu

Mon May 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Henry Bogdan (french historian) in La guerre de Trente Ans (Perrin), writes that Christian IV of Danemark was (as duke of Holstein) appointed President to the Lower Saxon Circle and charged of raising troops to defend it. He had full support of Brandenburg and Saxe-Weimar, received subsidies from England and Dutch Republic, and reinforcements from Bohemian exiles. Bogdan says he had 10.000 men in early 1625 but 25.000 in june.

Meanwhile, the Emperor had only Tilly's army left, who suffered desertions, and was threaten from all sides. That's why he accepted Wallenstein offer to raise 20.000 mercenaries and appoint him commander in chief in july the same year.
TYW Baroque music mod

« Dulce Bellum Inexpertis »
Erasmus

captain14
Sergeant

Sat May 13, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks for the replies.
I would like to know the contemporary source for Parker's tax income's. Though the straits levy makes sense. But again what is the quantitative value of that and what portion was supplied to the conflict? Also how was this calculated to the magic number of 400?

Re Bogdan again I would like to see the contemporary numbers re subsidies from England and The Dutch (who let's not forget had their own conflicts). Re troops that's another issue from coin. If reinforcements are from Bohemian exiles than that should be reflected in appropriate national replacements not funds yes?

Anyway we are getting some data which helps. We just need to see how this decision was made and what data it was based on.

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Wed May 31, 2017 1:25 pm

It's probably from the Sound toll (Öresund Toll) Denmark earned a lot in taxes in several centuries controlling the the small sound strait passage for ships entering in and out from the Baltic Sea
:dada:

Return to “Thirty Years War”