Quirk
Lieutenant

Cost of Armies

Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:36 am

Heyho,

After finishing my Catholic campaign I started my Protestant campaign two days ago. Sadly, I have to say that it seems that this is the worst (balanced) game of Ageod I have played, yet.

Besides the missing prisoner feature, which is a really weird thing, because obviously parts of it are in the game, it is impossible to keep a large army as the Protestants. After I got more troops through events, like Denmark joining the war, my maintenance costs rose to 7 gold per turn.
Even with several regions under my rule, I lose as much money as I get, meaning that I cannot recruit new units or even replacements. Funny thing is, I keep losing lots of units due to historical attrition, but the costs stay at a high 7 golds per turn. There is no way out of this dilemma.

Durk

Re: Cost of Armies

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:07 am

There is a way through. This is the toughest AGEOD game I have played, but I think it is the best, so far. It requires careful play, luck and conquest. It really reflects the realities of the era, never enough, but maybe squeak one more contribution from the populace.

Judicious use of requisition and contributions, that is without totally alienating the population, are almost enough. Where this differs from the other games, as you note, there is never enough of anything.

I only play pbem, not against AI, so your experience may be different than mine with regard to play balance. I have managed to lose as both the HRE and the Protestants; but I have also managed to win with both sides. The big money for the Protestants is to take Bavaria as soon as possible, assuming you hold on to Bohemia and Linz.

Your money problems may stem from spending more on new units and less on replacements? Only as guess.

Quirk
Lieutenant

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:38 am

Hi Durk,

Yes, I only play it in single player (as every other Ageod game so far). I close to only bought replacements, though. Built two artillery units quite early in the game, but that was it. The troops the Protestants get via events and options are enough for SP, but I still have this huge attrition and no money problem. Even with Bavaria as my own.

I am a bit angry as I invested lots of hours and now it seems I have to sacrifice units or I will lose all my offensive armies. Besides minor nusiances in other AGE games, Athena has a big problem in TYW to stay in supply and avoid (crazy) movements in winter. It beat itself in both my games so far. Before the 30s it is clear that it has no chance anymore...

arsan

Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:02 pm

I suspect the high maintenance cost you have is because of the danish fleet. I bet those warships are expensive to maintain and not very usefull. Maybe you can try dissolving some of them.

In any case the danish enter the war with a huge amount of money! Did you already expend all?

In TYW resources are very limited. You can't expect to recruit much or cover all your losses as in other AGEOD games.

Quirk
Lieutenant

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Yes, I already spent everything on replacements. Well, over the course of years of course. But nevertheless, I only built 2 units myself and am having lots of troubles now, because even with a lot of attrition the maintenance costs stay at 7 gold per turn. I have set attrition to standard, which kinda worked, but I deleted the game now.

Still have PoN, CW 2 and some AJE DLCs to play.

Durk

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:18 am

Quirk - I see you have moved on, but when you return to TYW post again we should chat.

If you only purchased two units then something is not working correctly for you. I typically buy all the 'card' units and one or two units a year, though my focus is upon buying replacements. And I have the full Danish Navy to support.
I never go negative on money. The first years are lean, but not the kind of impossible you relate.

Well, enjoy the other titles, I enjoy them all.

Quirk
Lieutenant

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Hello Durk,

I do not really remember when I began to experience trouble, I think it started around the late 20s, so I already had the Danish support fleet for some years. I will check the development of the game now and then and see, if a patch has arrived. I love the setting, but the game seems a bit underwhelming compared to others from Ageod. Less events and decisions, worse AI and missing feature(s).

Leibst

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:34 pm

That was the intention, TYW is more in the line of BoA in terms of complexity.

Durk

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:30 am

Hello Durk,

I do not really remember when I began to experience trouble, I think it started around the late 20s, so I already had the Danish support fleet for some years. I will check the development of the game now and then and see, if a patch has arrived. I love the setting, but the game seems a bit underwhelming compared to others from Ageod. Less events and decisions, worse AI and missing feature(s).

I do not actually agree with your characterization of this game. It is much like chess, small scope, extensive challenge. Maybe you need to soon join in pbem play as I have no means to respond to you AI concern.

Thirty Years War is one of the most complex games I have ever played. It is 'simple,' but as you noted in your beginning message, it kicks tush. It is very hard to play well. The simple supply of this game does not mean easy, it means you must plan with thought and forward planning.

Quirk
Lieutenant

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 pm

You are surely right when it comes to pbem. But I am mainly a single player gamer and here this game, at least in my eyes, lacks a lot. I played nearly all previous Ageod games, and this one gave me the least challenge. The beginning in Bohemia was a bit tough, but after that...it basically boils down to just waiting for the AI to starve its armies in winter. I know that Athena is not the brightest of AIs, but it still could, to a certain extent, give an entertaining opponent in most of the other games. So I am quite disappointed of TYW.

But as I said, lots of other games to play :)

Durk

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:52 am

[quote="Quirk"
Even with several regions under my rule, I lose as much money as I get, meaning that I cannot recruit new units or even replacements. Funny thing is, I keep losing lots of units due to historical attrition, but the costs stay at a high 7 golds per turn. There is no way out of this dilemma.[/quote]

So after recent play and 'deep thought.' I wonder if you have the automated replacement feature turned on. That drains the bank.

Quirk
Lieutenant

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:06 am

Well, no :)
That wouldn't have been that bad, as I at least would have gotten replacements for my coins. As it is I lose money and soldiers....

Return to “Thirty Years War”