Durk

Love this Game!!

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:28 am

I am not sure how many of you are fans of this war, I am. My ancestors made their trek to America largely due to the everts flowing from this war. My Irish relatives were sent in bondage by Cromwell after losing to him. My German ancestors came because they dissented from the three recognized religions. Interesting war to follow. I love how this game develops the deep climate challenges, cold time of the centuries and the leadership challenges. The pace of the Protestants is frustrating as it was historically. Three strong leaders who chose to be THE strongman. If only the Protestants learned how to cooperate. But no, they came one after another allowing Europe to continue to embrace the heresy of idols.

This game is so different. It takes patience and planning. But it so recaptures the totally of the events which made me an American that am just fell in love with what I learned of the events through this game.

Wiggum
Lieutenant

Re: Love this Game!!

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:51 pm

Durk wrote:I am not sure how many of you are fans of this war, I am. My ancestors made their trek to America largely due to the everts flowing from this war. My Irish relatives were sent in bondage by Cromwell after losing to him. My German ancestors came because they dissented from the three recognized religions. Interesting war to follow. I love how this game develops the deep climate challenges, cold time of the centuries and the leadership challenges. The pace of the Protestants is frustrating as it was historically. Three strong leaders who chose to be THE strongman. If only the Protestants learned how to cooperate. But no, they came one after another allowing Europe to continue to embrace the heresy of idols.

This game is so different. It takes patience and planning. But it so recaptures the totally of the events which made me an American that am just fell in love with what I learned of the events through this game.

Have you figured out how much supplies armys need ?
For example if my City produces 15 supply, can it keep 10000 men supplied ?
Is there any way to figure this out ?

Ebbingford

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:00 pm

5 times whatever the region is showing. That is how much supply is available to units.

Wiggum
Lieutenant

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:15 pm

Ebbingford wrote:5 times whatever the region is showing. That is how much supply is available to units.

Thanks.

But how do i see how much supply each stack consumes each turn ?

arsan

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:43 pm

Whith the stack selected, just check the tooltip on the food icon on the bottom right panel. It will say how many supply stockpile the stack has and how much it consumes each turn.

Bear in mind that in the simple supply system (the one used by this game) stacks with a wagon can also draw supply from neighbouring regions if needed.

Regards

Durk

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:30 pm

If you have never done simple supply before you might think the name is not correct. It is simple supply because you only draw supply from the region you are in and any adjacent regions. That is, no railroads or supply networks assist in supply distribution.
What I learned to do with WIA works very well in TYW. Count the unit elements of each stack. This gives you a fairly accurate gauge of what supply your army needs in order to resupply and reinforce. With the scattered cities and harsh weather, fighting supply is as much of a challenge as fighting your enemies.

Ebbingford

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:16 am

How does the old saying go, "Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics". :cool:

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:23 am

[Rant On] First off, no offence intended towards Ebbingford, who has added much to the AGEOD forms or anybody else so please nobody take what follows personally...

How does the old saying go, "Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics"

This is one of those vacuous throw-away quotes that really, Really, REALLY, REALLY bugs the crap out of me. It's always pushed out there, generally without context or any real applicability. Prioritizing one leg of the Strategy/Tactics/Logistics triad over any of the others has zero explanatory value or does anything to improve the analysis of any conflict or military action. There's nothing more useless than a military aphorism unless it's an empty quote.[/Rant Off]

There is only a very limited scope for tactics in the AGEOD family but the TYW does an excellent job, in my opinion, of capturing the brutal nature of Seventeenth Century European conflict from the strategic and supply standpoints. Fail to plan or attempt too much and watch in horror as your armies melt away and a campaign season is lost. Most accounts of the TYW make it clear why the war was such a catastrophic event in much of the theatre. The game is right alongside the AJE franchise as my favourite AGE-2 titles.

-C

Durk

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:26 am

Random, interesting response to a quotation, I kind of understand. How vacuous is the one below:

"The science of war is founded upon concentration of force and celerity of movement." Jomini

No tactics needed, just attention to movement and supply. AGEOD games model Jomini

And as you note, TYW embodies this aspect of war so well.

Wiggum
Lieutenant

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:59 am

Durk wrote:If you have never done simple supply before you might think the name is not correct. It is simple supply because you only draw supply from the region you are in and any adjacent regions. That is, no railroads or supply networks assist in supply distribution.
What I learned to do with WIA works very well in TYW. Count the unit elements of each stack. This gives you a fairly accurate gauge of what supply your army needs in order to resupply and reinforce. With the scattered cities and harsh weather, fighting supply is as much of a challenge as fighting your enemies.

Thanks.

So TYW is using the simple supply system.
Has this anything to do with the "Simple Supply" option in the main menu (options) ?
Should i turn this option ON or OFF to play as intended ?

arsan

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am

No, it's a diferent thing.
We call simple supply to the rules used on WIA or AJE or TWY. They are diferent to the complex supply rules used on games like CW2 or EAW or NAP as in the simple rules supply don't travel from region to region while in the complex rules It does as It represent conflicts with more elaborate logistic sistems.

The option should be on "off" to play with the complete simple supply rules we are talking about here.

With that option set to "on" supply is done easier. It could be ok for new players learning the game, but it's kind of a "cheat".

Regards

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:24 pm

So: Simple Supply ON is actually harder than Simple Supply OFF ?

By the way, if fog of war is OFF - does that apply to the AI too? And is that therefore harder than playing the AI with FOW on?

As you can tell, I need as many cheats, hints, easy settings as possible. There really ought to be a complete newbie setting - just move the pictures around on the map and see what happens.

arsan

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:52 pm

No, the easier setting regarding supply is simple supply "ON".

Not sure about the fog of war... I guess no fog of war applies only to the human players. The AI fog of war can be tweaked with the detection bonus setting.

Regards

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:45 pm

I have finally started playing this game more, and I am glad I did. It really does recreate the feel of the era, where supply was a true challenge, as was the terrain and the weather.

I do not think any game has done such a fine job of recreating the feel of the era. Everything fits, and the player must think like a general of the time or see his army waste away.

Durk

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:19 am

arsan wrote:No, the easier setting regarding supply is simple supply "ON".

Not sure about the fog of war... I guess no fog of war applies only to the human players. The AI fog of war can be tweaked with the detection bonus setting.

Regards

Actually, this thread may be a bit confusing as the choice in options is Easy Supply, not simply supply. Easy Supply makes supply more accessible but under the umbrella of Simple Supply.
Easy supply make supply easier in game play.
Simple supply is a game concept where supply depots do not create a chain of supply to enhance supply at the end of the chain.

Fog of War applies to both humans and AI. With AI, it is a bit of restriction on how responsive AI is. With humans is allow units to hide and the detection ratings really matter.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:51 am

But if fog of war is off does that mean the AI can see all pieces like in chess?

Durk

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:28 am

Taillebois wrote:But if fog of war is off does that mean the AI can see all pieces like in chess?

That is correct. If playing AI, it provides a major advantage to AI.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks

Durk

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:22 am

I am in a handful of game via pbem. I am amazed at the range of outcomes. The possible lines of play are so very open. This game has an imperative for the HRE forces to make a planned, deliberate forward march versus wave of Protestant forces. With diplomacy, it is quite complex.
I am far from mastery. Just playing and enjoying

Return to “Thirty Years War”