henry.newbolt@libero.it
Conscript

Leader Promotions

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:53 am

Hi everybody,

I will like to have some clarification on leader promotions, in the games I have played so far I never had the chance to promote a leader, even if the -4 seniority threshold has been met; I can't find in the leader details if the leader is promotable or not.

Greetings
Andrea

Ripster8
Colonel

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:21 pm

As far as I can recall there are no leader promotions in TYW. Leaders remain at the same rank for the entire game. The whole command structure is much simpler than in other AGEOD games. There are no 'GHQs' or Army headquarters. Within a stack of units the most senior leader with the highest rank (1, 2 or 3 stars) will command the stack in battle. Other leaders in the stack can be used to from 'groups' within the force in order to reduce the number of command points required. That's about it! Enjoy!
"The Hanged Man is a representative of humanity who is found between two kingdoms - that of this world and that of heaven."

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:17 pm

It's pretty hard to promote someone inside a rigid class system.

Court favorites are the exception, but their special talents are already factored into the ranking system, so there's no reason why you should see anything changing.

Wait a few hundred years and have a couple of social revolutions, and you'll be able to promote to your heart's content.

I wouldn't expect to see many promotions before the late eighteenth century.

henry.newbolt@libero.it
Conscript

Re:

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:45 am

Ripster8 wrote:As far as I can recall there are no leader promotions in TYW. Leaders remain at the same rank for the entire game. The whole command structure is much simpler than in other AGEOD games. There are no 'GHQs' or Army headquarters. Within a stack of units the most senior leader with the highest rank (1, 2 or 3 stars) will command the stack in battle. Other leaders in the stack can be used to from 'groups' within the force in order to reduce the number of command points required. That's about it! Enjoy!

Hi Ripster,
that's fine for me but...
why put the rules on leaders promotions in the game specific rules if they have no effect at all ???

Greetings
Andrea

Ripster8
Colonel

Re: Leader Promotions

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:09 pm

Excellent question, Andrea. I have no idea why they have a section on 'promotions' in the TYW manual. But in my many campaigns I have never seen a leader 'eligible for promotion'. I have seen leaders seniority change due to battlefield results, but never any promotions. Perhaps Leibstandarte (HQ games representative) can shed some light on the issue?

Leibst

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:37 pm

I need to review the database. But promotions are allowed, though to only a few leaders.

Durk

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:19 am

This is a long game and only a few leaders have the ability to be promoted, but they can be. Hang in there.

Return to “Thirty Years War”