kc87
Corporal

Questions about depots and supply

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:16 am

Do depots produce supply? Under the description it says + Land Construction capacity, I assume they allow more regiments to be raised in a province and don't produce any supply, can someone clarify this?

It would be nice to have more information on supply, I searched the wiki but it seems to be for ACW. Does anyone know the conversion rate for a province's supply level to actual supply units it will turn out?

Ebbingford

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:28 am

Amount of supply produced is roughly 5 times the supply level.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Charles
Lieutenant

Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:04 pm

supply rules are a bit fuzzy, but you get a feel for it after a while.

In my experience, depots seem to have minimal impact on supply generation, if any. The main use of depots is to allow you to draw replacements when using the Hard attrition rules.

As a rule of thumb, the major cities such as Vienna, Prague, Munich which have a 20-25+ supply level allow you to supply large armies of 1000+ points and re-supply your supply wagons. If possible, you should plan your campaigns so you can winter the bulk of your forces in one of these.

Minor cities which have a 8-12 supply level in summer will allow you to supply armies of 500-1000 points or re-supply your supply wagons, but generally not both.

The big problem are small cities with a 3-5 supply level. During winter, you can have a hard time keeping anything other than a small force supplied.

The latest patch seems to have improved supply issues or maybe I am just getting more of the hang of it. :cool:

You can also use the "plunder" or "scorched earth" RGD cards if you are caught in the open, they do help.

Converting an area to your religion also seems to increase supply generation.

In TYW, supply is the number one consideration.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kc87
Corporal

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:56 pm

Thank you both for the speedy replies. This information is invaluable as I've been playing with the historical supply and attrition options on. This has been a great and challenging game so far.

I haven't had the opportunity to plunder much as most areas have been constantly pillaged. Do supply wagon stocks also absorb attrition hits? The winters have been brutal since I left Vienna :)

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:28 pm

kc87 wrote:... . Do supply wagon stocks also absorb attrition hits? The winters have been brutal since I left Vienna :)

Supply wagons help you cope with winter in two ways. Obv is that they carry supply your army can live off.

Second is that attrition affects from winter are mitigated if you have supply wagons (with supplies). The first 'hits' are taken off the supplies in the wagon rather than your units. Of course this does mean that your supply wagons deplete quicker than they will in summer but it allows you to move an army (or sustain a siege) in winter without wrecking it. In some AGE games this allows you avoid the supply problems of winter campaigning (you'll still lose a lot of cohesion due to movement) but in TYW its tricky - mainly as there are so few good supply sources that you can rely on.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Return to “Thirty Years War”