Roger Neilson
Corporal

Tha Paladins

Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:18 am

I want to really like this game, visually it looks amazing and I appreciate it has depth of play in there. I have gone through the tutorials several times and feel ready to tackle the simple game The Paladins.

I feel like I have just jumped into the deep end of a swimming pool and need to be in the paddling end! I am coming from a very complex game so that's not the problem, the problem is getting an idea of what to do. I have looked at the AARs but they frankly don't help with what to do and what to base decision making upon.....

Lots of screenshots with little or no discussion of the thought processes are useless to a newbie to this game.

As Protestant I have tried to move both main forces together and when I do the enemy move north and I only face cavalry - but I have little cavalry to chase them away. I end up often having the larger points haul than the Catholics but although holding both cities that begin beseiged, I still do not win.....

I really need some help to get into this. Any advice?

Roger

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:36 am

I used this scenario quite a lot just to test out what was new etc. Given what happened historically, if you can force a draw with the Protestants that is pretty good. You'd need your opponent to make a big mistake to do much better. Its much the same in reverse.

To me this plays like a short scenario between two relatively well matched forces and it tends to stalemate as a result. You don't really have the time or map area to do much to break that situation.

The Bohemian scenario is a bit more dynamic - more targets, a bit of a switch in force balance and the scope for movement.

Supply really is key in TYW. So look for where they have supply sources and see if you can disrupt that - even if you can't capture a depot you might be able to take military control over the province and/or loot it (ie reduce its supply value). This is like some of the older Wars in America scenarios - starvation becomes a military tool and I have come to really prioritise defending my few large supply bases or trying to disrupt those of my opponent.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Durk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:45 am

I to thoroughly agree with loki100. The Paladin scenario is very balance, short and hard to win. Play the Bohemian scenario from either side and you will find a much more open game.

This is a game about supply. It is hard to learn to use supply well. I have found many of my games last less than two years because of my inattention to supply.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:05 pm

What Durk and Loki100 have said with the added caveat that you really need to break your strategic problems into smaller pieces and play for the long game even in the shorted scenarios. Try to do everything and the likely result is you get to watch your army evaporate as you hemorrhage wealth and military supplies trying to stem the bleeding. There are good reasons why the war lasted thirty-years. You might try turning attrition off until you get the hang of 17th Century European combat but doing so removes a very important part of the problem.

Good Luck.

=C

Return to “Thirty Years War”