Konrad von Richtmark
Private

First impressions and some issues discovered

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:22 am

Just got TYW and played through the Swedish Intervention scenario as the Protestant side (of course, as this is Gustavus's show!). I'm mostly but not entirely new to AGEOD, I've played through Rise of Prussia. I browsed the forums some to get the hang of things, especially the supply system. Seeing how the developers are rather active here, I thought I should say a number of things I came to think of, and do it publicly in case others feel like contributing to the discussion.

-Scenario-specific victory conditions. I lost pretty badly in terms of VPs, though I don't think I should have. My position at the end of the scenario was very decent, both in terms of what I had achieved, and how it would have affected the rest of the war had it been the grand campaign. I had captured all the cities in the North German coastal regions. Brandenburg and Saxony were solidly under my control and in my camp. Magdeburg had, ahistorically enough, never fallen. The French armies had, though, gotten their nose bloodied in Lorraine and hid inside Metz. Total losses were some 90k on the enemy for 66k on me. Final NM was 108 for me and 95 for the Imperials. Granted, I didn't manage the awesome parade of win which Gustavus historically got at first, but neither did I get him killed, nor got rekt at Nördlingen. Compared to what the historical Protestant position was in January 1636 when the scenario ends, I did very decently. Yet, the VP accumulation mechanism shafts the Protestants in this scenario due to them starting with next to no objective cities. Even when doing decent progress, which I think I did, the Imperials simply get too much of an accumulated advantage from sitting on pretty much all objectives at start. For scenarios that just cover parts of a larger war, win conditions should imo reflect whether you improved the position of your side in the grand scheme of things, or did well compared to expected outcomes.

-There should be some place to see the diplomatic status of a faction. At start, I couldn't even figure out whether Brandenburg and Saxony were on my side or not.

-Everyone's #1. After a few victories, both Baner and Horn had risen to a seniority of 1, just like Gustavus. With all of them being 3-star generals with max seniority, whenever a situation occurred where it matters who is the most senior, one of them would just get picked seemingly at random, changing from context to context. Same thing happened with Bernard of Saxe-Weimar and Knyphausen. Annoying as hell, especially when one of the guys is significantly inferior to the other(s) and you never know who ends up in charge until the battle is upon you. Now, I'm not saying there shouldn't be seniority, it represents the social aspect of leadership very well, just saying that this kind of seniority ties should not happen. There should be a tiebreaker in cases like this, or alternatively seniority be a real ranking, e.g. so that if you have a seniority of 17, it's not just an abstract number but actually means that there are exactly 16 guys who are more senior than you.

-How do I know if my forces actually take hits from lack of supply? I get messages like "Stack X has taken Y hits from severe weather and/or exhaustion", is this related at all? Is this kind of attrition dependent on supply status? Also, I've gotten messages saying that some stacks are partly or entirely out of supply, and had their name light up as red, but never gotten any explicit notification of them taking hits, at least not while inside cities. Are they actually immune to attrition inside cities, or am I just missing something? It doesn't seem right to me that they should be.

-Wallenstein's death event. I played it and it seems like he croaked, at least I never saw him after that. The event remained available for play in subsequent turns too though, apparently doing nothing other than wasting EPs.

Leibst

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:09 pm

Will check that event for wallenstein. I did play it during the beta and was working, but will check of course.
You are right regarding the seniority, that point should be revised. Regarding the Vicorty points they have been already checked for first patch.
Im currently testing the patch, hope to release it soon.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Konrad von Richtmark
Private

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:50 pm

About the Wallenstein event, in case it helps you track down the cause, I should mention that I didn't play the event the first turn it was available. I had just managed to corner Wallenstein with Gustavus and wanted to smash him in the field, so I held off playing the event one turn (iirc).

About the seniority, an easy fix would be to use original seniority as a tiebreaker, but I say that without knowing exactly what you can do and what limitations you operate under due to using someone else's game engine.

HeinzHarald
Private

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Konrad von Richtmark wrote:-How do I know if my forces actually take hits from lack of supply? I get messages like "Stack X has taken Y hits from severe weather and/or exhaustion", is this related at all? Is this kind of attrition dependent on supply status?

The manual states that if you have supply some of it is traded for attrition (eating more lets you deal with exhaustion and weather better I suppose, makes sense). So even if you are not entirely out of supply I suspect that if you are low you suffer more attrition not directly related to supply.

The manual also states that units out of supply will start to suffer hits because of this. One would think this should show up as supply specific attrition, but I can't say if it does.

Return to “Thirty Years War”