allan_boa
Colonel

Planning the battle

Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:32 pm

When planning the battle, how can I possibly know which development and battle plan are adapted to the situation ?
So far I picked absolutely randomly :-)

Leibst

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:11 pm

It is not random of course, just think in the terrain, the type of your troops and select taking that into account.
For example, you have lot of cavalry then choose a flank attack.
The battle planner improves in some % the damage done and casualties, number of elements that takes part in the combat etc... depending the BP you have choose and the one of the enemy.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Nico165
Lieutenant

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:41 pm

I instinctively understood the "if you have more cavalry, make a flank attack".

But I don't understand the single or double line choice. Any clue ?

Leibst

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:48 pm

i think that was to give more elements into battle.
I would need to review that if you need a detailed answer, its a complex but intererting thing the BP.
Maybe it should have a place in the annex document.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Nico165
Lieutenant

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:20 pm

Something about frontage then ? Yep, may be something interesting to add in the docs.

allan_boa
Colonel

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:22 pm

Yes, we should look at the real historical rational of these military techniques ...
What i don't know is if the formation was decided as a reaction to the enemy position observed on the battle field ? Or the terrain ? or the composition of the army (like in the large cavalry example), or other reason, or (very probably), a mix of all these reasons.

So yes, it's interesting but no idea where to find a treaty on historical rational of the position and techniques used on the battle field in the 17th century ...

Konrad von Richtmark
Private

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:32 pm

What I'd like to see would be a formation that facilitates retreat from battle, or reduces casualties for both so that you have better chances of reducing number of casualties suffered before getting to retreat. Is there such a formation? Apart from, I suppose, choosing limited rather than standard attack mode?

Other than that, just going by intuitive military sense, I've too gone for flank attacks if I have a superiority in cavalry. If I'm significantly outnumbered I've gone for double line, thinking that the enemy will have a longer line that outflanks me anyway, so might as well make it a stiffer line, or assault in depth.

Charles
Lieutenant

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:44 pm

The Battle Planner is very nice. Like others have posted, some formations are evident, like using flank attack when you have a lot of cavalry, but I also would like to have more detailed info on the advantages/disadvantages of the different formations.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Thirty Years War”