Bruit Bleu

[MOD] TYW Baroque music

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:54 pm

Oyez ! Oyez !

Introduction en français

Voici un mod de musique baroque pour Thirty Years War, afin de remplacer la musique numérique du jeu par de la musique instrumentale du début du XVIIe siècle.

La musique de cette époque est très variée et j'ai dû faire quelques choix. Pour le bien du jeu, j'ai préféré les pièces courtes et instrumentales. J'ai écarté les chansons, mais conservé tout de même une ou deux chorales. On y trouve de la flûte ou du luth en solo, mais aussi des pièces plus orchestrées, et même de l'orgue, j'espère que vous aimez ça. Mais dans l'ensemble j'ai préféré faire simple. Assez peu de musique militaire cependant, ce que j'ai pu trouver appartient plutôt à l'autre moitié du siècle.
Les compositeurs sont issus de l'Europe entière, grâce aux quelques contributions ci-dessous. J'en ai fais une update.

N'hésitez pas à faire d'autres propositions pour une prochaine version du mod.

English Introduction

Here is a Baroque music mod for Thirty Years War, to change ingame digital music with instrumental from the early XVIIth century.

Music from the period is very diverse, and I had to make a few choices. For the sake of the game, I felt that each track should be a short piece. Songs were also discarded, though a couple of choirs kept. You'll hear various tunes, from solo lute ballads to more complex orchestrations. But I prefered them simple.
Music is composed by artists from all over Europe, thanks to a few contributions below. See the update.

Do not hesitate to make suggestions for a future version of the mod.

Download

TYW Baroque music mod

TYW Baroque music update I

The mod is currently hosted on Dropbox. Feel free to propose alternatives.

Installation

Install main module first, then the update.
Unzip into your Thirty Years War directory.
Default is C:\Program Files\Matrix Games\Thirty Years War\
Or for Steam version C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Thirty Years' War\
Accept overwriting.

Content

Main Module
33 new tracks of instrumental music :

• Anonyme - Bransle de village
  • Bellerofonte Castaldi - Mustazzin Corrente
  • John Dowland - The Earle of Essex Galiard
  • Melchior Franck - Galliarda
  • Melchior Franck - Pavan
  • Girolamo Frescobaldi - Ricercar dopo il Credo
  • Girolamo Frescobaldi - Toccata 3 Libro 1
  • Giovanni Gabrieli - Canzon No 8
  • Denis Gaultier - La Réthorique des Dieux
  • Ennemond Gaultier - Canaries
  • Ennemond Gaultier - Chaconne
  • Ennemond Gaultier - L'Immortelle
  • Nicolas Hotman - Bourée
  • Johann Kapsberger - Piccinini Chiaconna
  • Johann Kapsberger - Toccata Arpeggiata
  • Jean-Baptiste Lully - Marche des mousquetaires
  • Jean-Baptiste Lully - Marche pour le Régiment de Turenne
  • Claudio Monteverdi - Ave Maria
  • André Philidor - Batterie de timbales
  • Jacob Praetorius - Galliard
  • Jacob Praetorius - Salve decus suecorum Rex Gustave Adolphe
  • Samuel Scheidt - Benedicamus Domino
  • Samuel Scheidt - Surrexit Christus Hodie
  • Johann Hermann Schein - Allemande
  • Johann Hermann Schein - Padouane
  • Giovanni Maria Trabaci - La Scabrosetta
  • Jehan Titelouze - Conditor alme siderum
  • Thomas Tomkins - Worcester Brawls
  • Nicolas Vallet - Deux Bourées
  • Jacob van Eyck - L'Amie Cillae
  • Jacob van Eyck - Lavolette
  • Johann Vierdanck - Capriccio I
  • Johann Vierdanck - Capriccio VIII
Update
11 new tracks for more european diversity :

• Dimitrie Cantemir - Der makām-ı ‘Uzzâl uşūleş Devr-i kebīr
  • Dimitrie Cantemir - Kemânçe Taksimi
  • Dimitrie Cantemir - Taksim
  • Francisco Guerau - 13 diferencias de Canario
  • Hans Leo Hassler - Intrada IV
  • Bartholomäus und Paul Hess - Tanz und Nachtanz
  • Adam Jarzebski - Canzon Terza
  • Adam Jarzebski - Tamburetta
  • Alessandro Orologio - Intrada
  • Gaspar Sanz - Folias
  • Gaspar Sanz - Zarabanda
Composers dates are in the readme.

How to add more/other music ?

Copy mp3 files into \Thirty Years War\TYW\Sounds\
Add filenames in \Thirty Years War\TYW\Sounds\Musics.ini

Thanks & Copyright

My basic musical knowledges on the period were greatly improved with the help of Michel Rusquet and Wikipedia.

The music was grabed on Youtube. Sorry for the variable quality.
Composers may be dead for more than 300 years, but most interprets are not.
Please buy their music if you liked it, now that they (ba)rock your game.

Thanks to Ageod and HQ Studio for the game !

Update
Thanks to Baris for ottoman music, and for the Dimitri Kantemiroglu discovery.
Thanks to Philippe for the three tracks I grabed from his Pike & Shot music mod.
Thanks to Warsage for the spanish composers.

:pouet:
Last edited by Bruit Bleu on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TYW Baroque music mod

« Dulce Bellum Inexpertis »
Erasmus

Gullwing91
Conscript

Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:49 am

Thank you for doing this, it's a wonderful initiative-generally little attention gets paid to this aspect in games development and samples are usually too short so music soon gets monotonous. Will be downloading this evening.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Great Idea !

Bruit Bleu

Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Thank you !

Gullwing91 wrote:Thank you for doing this, it's a wonderful initiative-generally little attention gets paid to this aspect in games development and samples are usually too short so music soon gets monotonous. Will be downloading this evening.

Thanks. Even with appropriate themed music in such wargames, Player stares at his screen for so long listening this, he has a lot of chances to get bored with.
But still. Ageod has a tradition of great historical soundtracks. ACW was a blow to me, not only as a wargame, but to my ears also, as I discovered american popular music in the process.

Since then, I've always paid attention to new games' music. NCP, WIA, ROP soundtracks are very nice. The research of historical military marches from every belligerent in WW1 or PON is remarquable. And RUS !... Even if military music is one of the worse that could be, it gives something real and maybe tragic to the games. Our predecessors marched to death whistling these tunes. And as absurd as it could be, they liked them a lot.

The NY Herald wrote in 1862 : "All history proves that music is as indispensable to warfare as money; and money has been called the sinews of war. Music is the soul of Mars....".

So, as it was done for España 36, TYW deserved its own historical music mod.
There are few military marches in my mod, but I hope it gives an idea of the century musical diversity.

Sadly, we can't do much for AJE...
TYW Baroque music mod

Erasmus

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Tunes from once Ottoman Empire has good roots to be more of a Balkan Empire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HqOuHvAkQc

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Very impressive effort. I'm still using the vanilla music because I am less likely to lose concentration and actually listen to the music, but I think I will make a parallel install for your mod.

I've only listened to a few of the clips, but what I heard has already given me a chuckle. It's amazing how many American music critics seem unfamiliar with the 17th century origins of the famous theme from Bizet's L'Arlesienne.

I made a mod on a similar concept for Slitherine's Pike and Shot a few months ago, but that mod uses far fewer music clips. In case you're unaware of it, here's a link to the thread on the Pike and Shot forums that gave rise to that particular mod. I'm rather partial to the last three video clips at the end of the thread.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=62438

I had toyed with the idea of making a mod along these lines, but am delighted that you beat me to it. I know from personal experience how much work is involved, so I'm very happy that I wasn't the one doing it. But I also think that you did a much better job with the selection than I would have.

This is not related to the Thirty Years War, but I have been toying with the idea of using this piece of music as the introductory theme for my BOA II/WIA music mod (which I don't remember if I ever posted here or not). What I use for intro music is a very romantic piece of late nineteenth music that sounds right, but this might be better (especially since it includes my favorite French opera star):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zegtH-acXE

Once again, thank you for a grand effort !

Leibst

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:55 pm

+1, great effort and a really nice music mod for TYW :love:
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Warsage
Colonel

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:48 am

(Non-religious) Spanish instrumental musicin the XVIIth century is not very large.
But it is the century of the Spanish guitar.
Here are a few examples to complete the great contribution of Bruit Bleu, with pieces of the most important composers:
Gaspar Sanz.
[color="#FFA07A"]Las vallas nunca serán lo bastante altas si al otro lado hay hambre.[/color]

Warsage
Colonel

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:59 am

(Non-religious) Spanish and Portuguese instrumental music in the XVIIth century is not very large.
But it is the century of the Spanish guitar.
Here are a few examples to complete the great contribution of Bruit Bleu, with pieces of the most important composers:

Regards.
[color="#FFA07A"]Las vallas nunca serán lo bastante altas si al otro lado hay hambre.[/color]

Bruit Bleu

Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:12 pm

Thanks to your suggestions, I have made an update for the mod.
11 new tracks from Holy Empire, Spain, Ottoman Empire (thanks to Baris, whose message has disappear) and Poland (it was missing also).

Install the update like the main module.
Details are in the OP.

Philippe wrote:Very impressive effort.

Thanks for the compliments. It wasn't so hard. I had basic knowledges and used good references to pick some more names. I tried them in youtube and grabed everything I could which was not too long (3'30 is already very long, but...) nor sung. Then I had an intensive listening session, and discarded bad recordings or things I felt not suited for the mod.
All of this took me an evening.

Then I had to put everything in order for the game, and the readme etc.
It took another evening, the real work indeed, but with a nice soundtrack playing !

By the way, I picked a few pieces in your Pike & Shot mod to put them in the update. I hope you don't mind, and thanks for the link !

Leibstandarte wrote:+1, great effort and a really nice music mod for TYW :love:

Thanks to you, maestro !

Warsage wrote:(Non-religious) Spanish and Portuguese instrumental music in the XVIIth century is not very large. But it is the century of the Spanish guitar.

I could'nt find tunes short enough to fit in the mod, but thanks to your names and redoubled efforts, I could grab a few I put in the update.
They weren't born yet during Thirty Years War, but as other composers out of period are in the mod, they are in also.
TYW Baroque music mod

Erasmus

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for your work Bruit Bleu.

Music of Dimitrie Cantemir should be maybe more suited for Balkan&Ottoman tunes in 17th century. I by mistake post new composer Yalcın Tura's composition with the same music format and instruments of 17th century. but it wouldn't be suitable as it is new.

Bruit Bleu

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Yalcin Tura was indeed too modern, but he helped me discover Cantemir, a very interesting character ! Moldavian Prince (actual Romania), he lived as "guest" in Istanbul where he knew 11 languages, wrote philosophy and history treaties, and composed music.

I found various orchestration and different styles of his works. Most are pure ottoman music, as he compiled and restored ancient composers, but some are from more mixed roots and influences. I chose 3 quite different tunes, don't they fit well to TYW ?

Dimitrie Cantemir (1673-1723)
TYW Baroque music mod

Erasmus

Granfali
Conscript

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:27 pm

Great! Thanks for your work!!!

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Excellent choices thank you Bruit Bleu. 'Taksim' is very good. He is indeed fascinating character with knowledge of so many languages of his time.
If game map extended to cover other wars in continent in the same period it will still have good use of soundtrack.

Konrad von Richtmark
Private

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:10 pm

Based on my experience of other Ageod games, I fully expected to be faced with a booming performance of Ein Feste Burg during the loading screen. :D

Looks interesting, I will check it out.

Bruit Bleu

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Thanks for mentionning this song, I didn't knew it. I could try to find a suited version for the mod, but if you know one, don't hesitate to give the link !

For the loading screen, I chose a military ouverture by Philidor, who is also a bit off period, but I like him a lot. He was military composer for Louis XIV and gives us in this piece a rare pure drum song from this period (he also composed hunts and banquets, wedding and funerals pieces... he was l'Ordinaire de la Musique du Roi, the official court "ambianceur" or background music composer for Loulou 14).

I felt drums in ouverture are appropriate to these games, as it gives the mood of the war you'll be playing.

André Philidor (1652-1730)

Batterie de Timbales : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZqFiocnqCM&t=11m28s

To Baris and Granfali, thanks to you !
TYW Baroque music mod

Erasmus

elxaime
General

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:39 am

How did the Wallenstein song not make the cut?

By the way can any German-speakers tell me what he is saying? On a historical note, Wallenstein was born in Bohemia and was said to be better at speaking Czech (although he also spoke German).
Attachments
dd57eb6f-2a1b-4df2-bffd-501e04d1a896_zpsz40wqlis.jpg
wallenstein-musikclip-100-_v-ARDFotogalerie_zpsrlygeedq.jpg

Bruit Bleu

Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:45 pm

:thumbsup:

Maybe too gothic and not baroque enough ?
TYW Baroque music mod

Erasmus

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Now that TYW is going to be released on Steam, this mod will need a Steam version.

In my own personal copy I have edited out (with much regret) almost all of the music that does not belong in the period. Taking out the Cantemir was especially painful because I fell in love with Turkish music many years ago during a visit to the tomb of Jalal-ed-din Rumi in Konya. But with the game's focus on Western Europe, I just don't see any room for the Balkan sound. I left in Philidor's drums because it's a good introductory piece that doesn't sound rooted in any particular period or style.

(I will, however, be putting together a music mod for the Turkish side battle of Vienna scenario in Pike and Shot, and Cantemir as well as other early Turkish composers will be prominently featured).

elxaime
General

Wallenstein Approves!

Wed May 25, 2016 11:36 pm

The attachment dd57eb6f-2a1b-4df2-bffd-501e04d1a896_zpsz40wqlis.jpg is no longer available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagdbVOM9Ss
Attachments
dd57eb6f-2a1b-4df2-bffd-501e04d1a896_zpsz40wqlis.jpg

AlbertoC

Thu May 26, 2016 8:41 am

Really nice I must say.

Bruit Bleu

Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Thank you !

Philippe wrote:Now that TYW is going to be released on Steam, this mod will need a Steam version.

Even if TYW hasn't been released yet on Steam I can already predict it will work the same as Ageod version.
Steam usually puts games under a sophisticated architecture (by default C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\), but files are not different.

By the way, if I had to restart the mod from scratch (or even make an update ?), I would begin to listen to Jordi Savall and Hespèrion XXI band or Le Concert des Nations orchestra. He covered a lot of "early music" from 14 to 19th centuries and some of his works fits our period. His musicians and the ancients instruments they use always give to their music a very nice mood. Everything I hear from them is sweet to my ears.

Well for example Le Concert des Nations - Lully, Marais, Rameau and Hespèrion XXI - Cantemir.

He has a vast discography to explore ! :sherlock:
TYW Baroque music mod

Erasmus

Bruit Bleu

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:50 pm

I've just tested the Steam version, and as forseen, it works as described in last post.

I edited OP to include install info for Steam users, and created a Discussion on Steam Boards : http://steamcommunity.com/app/477750/discussions/0/350533172695494752/
TYW Baroque music mod

Erasmus

Bruit Bleu

Re: [MOD] TYW Baroque music

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:18 pm

A small edit in first post due to forum changes, and a bump to put it back in first page ! :hat:
TYW Baroque music mod

Erasmus

jack54
Brigadier General

Re: [MOD] TYW Baroque music

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks very much...

I recently started playing TYW again after a long break and was searching for some period music. Great job with the mod.

It's an easy install; you did the hard work for us and I was happy to see it was still available after over 2 years. :hat:

Return to “Thirty Years War”