seathom
Colonel

Leader Casualties

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:59 pm

I'm a little confused about 3-star leaders and casualties. On pages 100-101 of the manual, it states that 3-star leaders are immune to casualty checks. However, all leaders may become casualties when their immediate subordinate unit (the one they are attached to) is eliminated (a good reason not to attach 3-stars).

It's the not attaching 3-stars that confuses me. So far in my reading of the manual, I am not finding a hierarchy of command as in TEAW. There are no GHQ's with subordinate Armies of 3-star leaders but a bunch of armies led by 1,2 or 3-star leaders or am I wrong? Can someone explain how a 3-star general can be in a subordinate unit and thus affected by the casualty check? This would be much appreciated.

goodpoints
Conscript

Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:54 pm

I believe it works similar to AJE where you can have 2 3 stars in a stack and the one with highest seniority is the commander. Unfortunately this is difficult to always find out in TYW as all the Catholic named commander has very high seniority and easily become Seniority 1.

The larger issue I've seen though is not leader casualties (I've seen a few enemy leaders die) but that the capturing of leaders doesn't seem to work. (there's prison boxes and decisions related to them though) Currently there's 2 stacks of 2-3 Prot leaders without any troops (after their armies were destroyed) that have been sitting in the same areas for 10+ years. I can't do anything about it because they have a Hide value of 5-6 and the highest detection value units (light cav like Croats/Poles) have only level 4 detection.

aryaman

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 am

I concurr fully with the above statement, it seems also that wounded leaders also are less usual than in other AJE games.

Return to “Thirty Years War”