GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:42 am

An argument about a 400 year old cause? You gotta be kidding :) Please friend, don't get too excited about causes that were lost in the 17th century.

I am not trolling even a bit. If you want to discuss history, you should not get attached to 1 particular cause, like that of your own nation. Otherwise you will hear this and that you may NOT like.
Pointing the finger everytime to stifle an unwanted opinion and call people with other opinions trolls is not gonna cut it.

I think it's obvious that a lot of Germany's later "being-late-ness" in the world powers was to a large degree due to the 30 years war.

We are not totally unknowledgeable on the topic by the way. The (so called) 30 years war used to be studied in Germany until 20 or 30 years ago. Especially in East Germany where I grew up.

In several books I read the opinion has been that the war threw back the people of Germany a whole century. A simplification, that everything was only due to that war would of course be misleading, just as giving the fault to another nation. It's also obvious however that France was in a position of strength and used it. If the side had been reversed, the Kaisers would have done the same to France, as they did during the French Revolutions for example. So yeah no one is free of guilt because his opponent did something. They were all mostly vultures at the time.

Vive La France, amis :hat:

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:09 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:An argument about a 400 year old cause? You gotta be kidding :) Please friend, don't get too excited about causes that were lost in the 17th century.

I am not trolling even a bit. If you want to discuss history, you should not get attached to 1 particular cause, like that of your own nation. Otherwise you will hear this and that you may NOT like.
Pointing the finger everytime to stifle an unwanted opinion and call people with other opinions trolls is not gonna cut it.

I think it's obvious that a lot of Germany's later "being-late-ness" in the world powers was to a large degree due to the 30 years war.

We are not totally unknowledgeable on the topic by the way. The (so called) 30 years war used to be studied in Germany until 20 or 30 years ago. Especially in East Germany where I grew up.

In several books I read the opinion has been that the war threw back the people of Germany a whole century. A simplification, that everything was only due to that war would of course be misleading, just as giving the fault to another nation. It's also obvious however that France was in a position of strength and used it. If the side had been reversed, the Kaisers would have done the same to France, as they did during the French Revolutions for example. So yeah no one is free of guilt because his opponent did something. They were all mostly vultures at the time.

Vive La France, amis :hat:

My point is just that ascribing the apparent responsability for a seminal conflict in Europe, which is the result of process that took about 100 years to reach boiling point just made no sense. France followed self interest in this war in a typical machiavellian way at the time. Whereas Louis XIII and Richelieu battled protestants to subdue them inside France, because another strong independentish power in France constituted a danger, they financially and later militarily supported the protestants in the 30 years War, because it suited their strategic goals.

My point isn't that "France are the goodies, who dares criticize them", but rather that reducing the 30 years war to France's greed is a joke, I mean this argument holds a lot better when one talks about Louis XIV's wars from devolution to spanish succession for example, and at that point France was for sure in a position of strength in Europe. But in 30 year's war... it just makes no sense for at least 2 reasons :
- Greed has no bearing in it : France spent a lot of money to try and ensure the Habsburgs didn't win so that France wasn't fully encircled again. Just like the French supported the Ottomans during their advance on Wien in the early 16th century.
- France was in no way in a position of strength during the 30 years war. One can very aptly argue that France ended the war in a position of strength, profiting from the weakening of the Austrian and Spanish Habsburgs and taking the upper hand againts Spain at Rocroi after having in a more defensive posture since the end of François Ier's italian campaigns and during the wars of religion in France.

So just so that we are clear. I am not rooting for France or anyone here, I was just considering your point so absurd that to me it could only be trolling and baiting.

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:04 am

Sorry to move back to the game more, are we looking at stand alone wars within the 4 stages? Or a GC?

I really am excited for a real game about a time period that is not as well known as most war games choose. I will be interested in how this will be marketed to the non-european audience however.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:32 am

BBBD316 wrote:Sorry to move back to the game more, are we looking at stand alone wars within the 4 stages? Or a GC?

I really am excited for a real game about a time period that is not as well known as most war games choose. I will be interested in how this will be marketed to the non-european audience however.

I must say I really look forward to this one, a great idea for a time period that isn't so well known, and this game could very well serve as the basis to many others from the period (english civil war, french religion wars, wars of Louis XIV, etc...)

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:07 am

veji1 wrote:So just so that we are clear. I am not rooting for France or anyone here, I was just considering your point so absurd that to me it could only be trolling and baiting.

Nor am I rooting against France. I also do not think in "good" or "bad" terms. I just thought the "trolling" part called for a response.

Where I agree is that I just used to think it was so, but I will have to read much more about the war before I should make such claims.

Thanks for the reasonable response!

Leibst

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:55 am

For me its clear guys, the good were the Spanish, and the bad the others, specially France :mdr:
just kidding :neener:
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Matto
Colonel

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:37 pm

Check the flash book here: http://leader.posazavi.com/playSWF.asp?File=jankov about Jankow battle (1645)
It is only in Czech, but there are many nice maps and pictures ...
Napoleon days in Austerlitz 2011 - photo gallery
My Czech pages agout AGEOD: AGEOD games, RoP AAR - Prussian side
My AGEOD games: WoN, TYW, EAW, CW2, AJE, PoN, NCP, ROP Gold, RUS Gold and BOA2

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 pm

I try to be very moderate in my views when I do an AAR or a Let's Play. I try not to insult anyone. What's the point? These wars and battles are centuries ago in many cases.

I don't like Richelieu because he was kind of a jerk to the 3 musketeers. :thumbsup:
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

Count Miloradovich
Conscript

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:23 pm

[ATTACH]34248[/ATTACH]

Greatest duo of "bad guys" in movie history, played by two exceptional actors.
Attachments
2poock7.jpg

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:40 am

Excellent post, Count!
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

JohnPerry
Conscript

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:49 am

nice summary

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:54 am

Matto wrote:Peter Englund Years of War... nice book, but is necessary know about Thirty Years War, it is not classical histography

Peter Englund is an excellent author, very much worth a read!

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:13 am

Count Miloradovich wrote:[ATTACH]34248[/ATTACH]

Greatest duo of "bad guys" in movie history, played by two exceptional actors.

RIP both.

Return to “Thirty Years War”