Tyr
Corporal

Fleet Issues

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:58 am

Playing France, I have unlocked overseas bases, yet my ships are not being repaired in shipyard/naval base harbors. I have had a fleet sitting for 6 months of game time and 0 repair has been done to the three ships in the squadron. Port is L'Orient - which has a shipyard and naval base, and it is the only ship/fleet element in the port.

Some other issues I have noticed: sailing a fleet from Saint Malo to L'Orient, no contact with the enemy and all of the ships in the squadrons have taken 50% of their hull value in hits from weather. That seems a bit excessive.

Also, France has the option to unlock Irregular Cavalry Tactics, and opt_title_AssaultColumnFM; these are national modifiers and RGDs for which they already have access. Seems redundant.

Playing Steam, official patch 1.02 that was pushed to Steam. I've not tried the new beta (yet), but I am hopeful that the attrition changes will fix part of that damage issue.

Tyr
Corporal

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:44 pm

I think I've figured out the problem with ships. Even when using AI replenishment of units, the AI ignores all ships.

As an aside about bad Steam reviews, here is my personally assessment. The learning curve is very steep and nothing in-game gives any decent guidance to find the replacements tab. In fact too many things are hidden in this game. The average player of strategy games wants a game that is fast paced (i.e. Total War), and has a shallower learning curve. I enjoy the game, but 20 to 30 minutes to process a single turn is daunting. Furthermore, lack of an in-game tutorial weeds out any but the higher educated, self-researching (like me), die-hard fans of the genre.

Nonetheless, I think the dev team has put in a massive amount of detail and potential control. Just need to polish it some. I'm still waiting to see if France ever gets to build Polish Hussars and Lancers.

PhilThib

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:34 am

Will investigate the ship repair issue, as well as AI behavior. I concur with you, nowadays, players expect simplicity, ease of play, and quick understanding of the game mechanisms, as well as fast(er) turn resolution...we leave in a world where the virtues of patience have disappeared.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:56 pm

PhilThib wrote:Will investigate the ship repair issue, as well as AI behavior. I concur with you, nowadays, players expect simplicity, ease of play, and quick understanding of the game mechanisms, as well as fast(er) turn resolution...we leave in a world where the virtues of patience have disappeared.

Total War and HoI series can be played well by children, that is the reason they sell well.
Are you really competing in the same league with them?
You have create an engine that over 95% accurately describes the challenges and decision making process of an operational commanders in different periods.

Tyr
Corporal

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:51 pm

WON and most Ageod game do not compete with the Total War series. And I mean that as a compliment to Ageod, not Total War. PhilThib nailed it, in effect, we live in a world of "Burger King fast food" mentality: I want it NOW, and I want it My way! I point this out because WON is very much a niche game; those who love it will seek to make it better, while those who lack the patience will move on. I want to see improvements, so we have less hoops to jump through to enjoy the game is all.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:28 am

The British caught my French fleet that had to exit a Spanish port when Spain made peace with Britain. A number of my ships suffered heavy damage, but managed to escape to Toulon. All their damage was eventually repaired.

I am playing with the latest beta patch. Hope this helps.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:49 am

PhilThib wrote:Will investigate the ship repair issue, as well as AI behavior. I concur with you, nowadays, players expect simplicity, ease of play, and quick understanding of the game mechanisms, as well as fast(er) turn resolution...we leave in a world where the virtues of patience have disappeared.

This is all too often true, though not always. It is very sad, these gamers will never have the deep, rich, satisfying experience patience with such games can bring.

Often, after a turn resolves, and I have reviewed the various reports, I will just sit back and think about what happened, and what I can do, and that is part of the pleasure of these games. Sometimes I will just look at the beautiful maps and units, and enjoy that.

Return to “Help improve WON”