Pocus

Public beta patch for 1.03 version - May 31st

Tue May 31, 2016 6:42 pm

Dear players,

Here is the new public beta patch for 1.03:

All inclusive and save compatible.

http://ftp.ageod.com/pub/WON/WONSetup_publicbeta103_May31.exe

AI
AI Artilleries should wander less (hopefully)
Needs a saved game where the previous turn was with an AI sending an exp force, but nothing received. Need current turn and previous turn.

* DB Improvement

- reduced new divisions command cost to 3
- added more historical flavor names to models
- Factions fix to allow proper color display of foreing contingents

* Scenarios

- In all scenarios, minor nations now have some basic national modifiers too
- In all scenarios, key nations (major and minor) have better troops experience
and levels (more regular and veterans in the standing armies)
- Bonus scenario: Finland 1808-1809
- USA and MAH start forces a bit upped.
- GBR potential buy of new units reduced by 30% (this is still a game, not an history book!)
- GBR no longer can make drafts and/or receive Draft rgd(aside exceptional RGD receipt by event)

* Events
- Fixed events for Kingdom of Naples (value of capital, fall of Kingdom)
- Fixed events for Fall of London (should allow now peace talks between France and Britain)
- Fixed some National Modifiers (removed) for some nations (e.g. Overseas Bases removed from Austrian/Prussian list)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Kev_uk
Colonel

Tue May 31, 2016 7:36 pm

Thank you Pocus for your continuing support for this title.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue May 31, 2016 8:19 pm

Wow, a great patch! Respect. :gardavou:

Lemelem
Private

Tue May 31, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue May 31, 2016 9:07 pm

So what features would be included when applied to ongoing games?

Philsavory
Sergeant

Tue May 31, 2016 10:19 pm

RebelYell wrote:So what features would be included when applied to ongoing games?

The big change is the replacement screen. As the French, I can now reinforce my Dutch units etc. Thanks to the team for the update :thumbsup:

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 pm

Philsavory wrote:The big change is the replacement screen. As the French, I can now reinforce my Dutch units etc. Thanks to the team for the update :thumbsup:

What about unit experience and command point requirements?

Philsavory
Sergeant

Tue May 31, 2016 10:29 pm

RebelYell wrote:What about unit experience and command point requirements?

I haven't really noticed, sorry. I Just ran a couple of turns to make sure it was steam compatible (which it is).

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue May 31, 2016 11:16 pm

Pocus, any possibility to get Sweden as a playable faction?

I am from Finland so I am sure to check and give feedback on the Finland scenario. :D
I was about to post about the border to Russia few days back but thought that I would come to it when the more important issues are solved.
Now I notice that you have the border more correct in this scenario. :thumbsup:

[ATTACH]39006[/ATTACH]

But thank you for even bothering in getting this internationally little known war in the game.
For us it was the end of 700 years as part of Sweden and basically the birth of Finland in the modern form.
Attachments
Finsko-vývoj.jpg

Ebbingford

Tue May 31, 2016 11:38 pm

Pocus wrote:- GBR no longer can make drafts and/or receive Draft rgd(aside exceptional RGD receipt by event)

There is a draft RGD for GB at the start of the Jan campaign. WAD?
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

csiemers
Sergeant

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:36 am

Overlaid 1.03 Beta into Steam folder.
Playing British in March 1810.
On Productions screen seeing Spain Replacements which I believe shouldn't be there.
[ATTACH]39007[/ATTACH]
Attachments
British and Spain.png

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:06 am

csiemers wrote:Overlaid 1.03 Beta into Steam folder.
Playing British in March 1810.
On Productions screen seeing Spain Replacements which I believe shouldn't be there.
[ATTACH]39007[/ATTACH]

Do you have Spanish forces under your direct command?

PhilThib

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:08 am

Ebbingford wrote:There is a draft RGD for GB at the start of the Jan campaign. WAD?

Yes, reserve sailors for the RN

Pocus

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:23 am

To RebelYell:

PhilThib will handle your request, he is the man in charge of historical setups! I only do the code and technical design.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:41 am

RebelYell wrote:I was about to post about the border to Russia few days back but thought that I would come to it when the more important issues are solved.
Now I notice that you have the border more correct in this scenario. :thumbsup: .

Yes, I missed it in the 2 main 1805 campaigns and found out when researching the 1808-1809 Finland scenario. Will update the campaigns in the next patch.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:57 am

Ok, here are some first observations from the scenario.

Does the sea freeze? I ask as this was the reason there where no reinforcements to Sveaborg.

The strategy was to retreat until reinforcements would arrive, prewar plan was to land in Sveaborg and cut the Russian supply lines in one blow.
This was the function of Sveaborg from design, control and threaten the land and sea LOC in to Finland and receive the relief army from Sweden if needed.

Btw, you got the power of Sveaborg right, maybe the naval base needs to be size 2 also, there are huge dry docks from that time there still in use.
It was also home for most of the archipelago fleets ships based in Finland.

Here are the major ships that where present there when it surrendered without a fight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turuma#Ships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemmema#Ships

Like the other specialized archipelago vessels, the hemmema had specific strengths and weaknesses. Although it had superior firepower relative to galleys, its sailing qualities were somewhat mediocre and while highly manoeuvrable under oars, it was still difficult to propel while rowed.[23] A hemmema had the potential to be an effective weapon against galleys, matching their forward firepower and severely outgunning them with its broadside armament. Inside an enemy galley formation, it could wreak considerable havoc, but such a maneuver was never achieved in an actual battle, leaving that tactical role untested

Like the hemmema, the turuma was effective in defensive formations, but lacked the mobility that was often needed in offensive archipelago warfare. In 1790, after the war ended, two were converted into hospital ships.[22] The second battle of Svensksund had clearly showed that the smaller and nimble gunboats and gunsloops were far more efficient in coastal warfare and had all but displaced "archipelago frigates" in the inshore squadrons by the Finnish War of 1808–09

I have no numbers for the sloops or gunboats but you have good models for those in the Boulogne fleet.

You have the ship names listed there but problem is how to describe the power of these ships in game, they should have good defensive fire as floating batteries.
Some where more powerful in guns than many frigates but more agile in the coastal waters than Russian galleys and could take out much larger ships in these closed waters.
Could some combat bonus ability for coastal waters solve this? They could also fight regular ships in the open sea as they had sails so there should be no malus for leaving coastal waters but they should be slower.

Btw, the Boulogne fleet was heavily influenced by these ships designed by Chapman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrik_Henrik_af_Chapman

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:11 am

PhilThib wrote:Yes, I missed it in the 2 main 1805 campaigns and found out when researching the 1808-1809 Finland scenario. Will update the campaigns in the next patch.

What was the design philosophy behind the militia elements in the brigades btw?

It is just that most of the units that you could call militia troops, where in reality quality skirmishing units using skis and ambush tactics.
What was classed as line infantry was able to hold a line without routing from the first shots from cannons.
Most of the retreating was ordered by the high command as the strategy was what I described before.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:17 am

Chapman is a good source to find national modifiers for Sweden. :)

Jeune Grognard
Private

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:25 am

Hi,

thanks for this beta patch. Not installed yet, downloading. Are there any chenges regarding the faction problem after Peninsular War has erupted? Britain stili at war with Spain and defensive treaty between Spain and some French satellites?

At soon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:48 am

Some numbers.

Cronstedt capitulated and surrendered the fortress to the Russians, along with 7,500 soldiers and a fleet of 94 ships. Even if the couriers had arrived earlier, Sveaborg probably could not have been relieved by the fleet, as the winter was unusually cold and the Baltic sea was still partially frozen at the time. The fortress lost 6 men dead and 32 wounded as well as a couple of broken roofs and windows as the result of Russian actions in the siege.[6]

Cronstedt surrendered the fortress to the Russian army after a siege of two months. The fortress had internationally received the reputation of being "the Gibraltar of the North", and was by some assumed to be impregnable. In the peace treaty next year (1809), Sweden was forced to give up the territory of Finland (about half of the kingdom). In the search for scapegoats for the loss of Finland, the surrendering of Sveaborg became a convenient vehicle, and as Cronstedt was the responsible officer, he was charged with the whole catastrophe.

Among other things, Russia captured the bulk of the Swedish archipelago fleet. This included 3 hemmema and 7 turuma type archipelago frigates, 25 gun sloops, 51 gun yawls and various other ships. This had an immense effect on the war in the Finnish archipelago, especially since the chance of the Russian battle fleet successfully engaging the joint Swedish and British battle fleets in the open sea was marginal.

Admiral Cronstedt is most likely the biggest traitor in Swedish history, he ended Sweden as a country that mattered in Northern Europe.
For Finns it turned out well in the end, Swedes got another traitor in Bernadotte. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sveaborg

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:18 am

Ok, I got mixed up with GC and the scenario, the harbor levels and structures differ in Sveaborg.
It should be a naval base and also a naval yard with its large docks and repair facilities.
I think only Karlskrona was more important at this time.

In general it is the center of gravity in any land or naval operation in Finland at this time.

Still in use, the drydock has two of these.

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomenlinnan_telakka#/media/File:Suomenlinnan_kuivatelakka.jpg

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:27 am

Dispirited is too lenient on Cronstedt, something totally opposite to a military genius would be close.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:54 pm

csiemers wrote:[ATTACH]39007[/ATTACH]

So my understanding is that thanks to this change in replacements as the french for example one will be able to buy from the beginning replacement chits for his italians, dutch, pole or hannoverian forces allowing for a filling up of the Junger and Horst hannoverian brigades or the Polish Lancers, or the Lecchi Brigade for example. Have I understood correctly ?

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:20 pm

veji1 wrote:So my understanding is that thanks to this change in replacements as the french for example one will be able to buy from the beginning replacement chits for his italians, dutch, pole or hannoverian forces allowing for a filling up of the Junger and Horst hannoverian brigades or the Polish Lancers, or the Lecchi Brigade for example. Have I understood correctly ?

Yes.

Sruba
Private

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:32 pm

When will this patch come to Steam ?

Philsavory
Sergeant

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:08 pm

Sruba wrote:When will this patch come to Steam ?

It's compatible with Steam. Just change the installation path.

elxaime
General

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:51 pm

After updating, it doesn't seem the opening screen reflects the change - my lower right still shows version 1.02 QF1

Philsavory
Sergeant

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:48 am

elxaime wrote:After updating, it doesn't seem the opening screen reflects the change - my lower right still shows version 1.02 QF1

I would check your installation location when prompted, making sure it is extracting into 'Wars of Napoleon' folder. For example, I have two installs; one is D:\Matrix Games\Wars of Napoleon, the other is D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wars of Napoleon. Hope this helps.

csiemers
Sergeant

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:27 am

RebelYell wrote:Do you have Spanish forces under your direct command?

No. Spain and Britain just declared peace the prior turn. I didn't look at the screen before this turn so couldn't say if it was like this before then.
Also, England has no control on the Kingdom of Sicily either.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:29 am

elxaime wrote:After updating, it doesn't seem the opening screen reflects the change - my lower right still shows version 1.02 QF1

You have to make sure the last folder is \Wars of Napoleon.

Return to “Help improve WON”