csiemers
Sergeant

Britain / Portugal / Spain - War and Peace

Wed May 25, 2016 2:21 am

Playing campaign game as Britain.
Spain declares war on Portugal. I declare war on Spain and take Madrid and a couple other cities. Spain offers Peace and I accept. Spain continues to fight Portugal, even sending troops through areas my forces are located.

My suggestion for the game is that there's an event that could fire in the event of Peace between Spain and England, that could result in Peace between Portugal and Spain. Obviously I wouldn't say 100% chance but just to me I wouldn't think Portugal would want to go it alone against Spain, though I could be wrong.

Thanks

Durk

Wed May 25, 2016 4:08 am

It would be interesting to know your time frame. Is this the old Spain?
If so, I think I know why you are seeing this behavior.

If it is the 'new' Spain, then this would be odd.

Offworlder
General

Wed May 25, 2016 5:18 am

My impression is that a lot depends on following the Peninsula chain of events to the letter to avoid weirdness of this sort. The French/Spanish fallout takes about 2 years to accomplish, starting with the a) Berlin decrees, then on to the b) invasion of Portugal (to which Spain participates), then the c) Spanish dynastic troubles, then the d) Bourbon removal, the e) May massacres and finally the f) Spanish rising (and move by the Spanish to the coalition camp). At some point between the c) and e), there is an RDG card called something like 'French garrisons' which leads to a drop in the relationship with the Spanish.

To be honest I rarely had the chance to play the chain so completely and in sequence. Having said that, this sequence at one point almost always forces Portugal to make peace with Spain, which takes some borderlands or cities, especially if Portugal has been overrun. Thus, the stage is set for the Spanish turnabout.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 25, 2016 10:01 am

Offworlder wrote:My impression is that a lot depends on following the Peninsula chain of events to the letter to avoid weirdness of this sort. The French/Spanish fallout takes about 2 years to accomplish, starting with the a) Berlin decrees, then on to the b) invasion of Portugal (to which Spain participates), then the c) Spanish dynastic troubles, then the d) Bourbon removal, the e) May massacres and finally the f) Spanish rising (and move by the Spanish to the coalition camp). At some point between the c) and e), there is an RDG card called something like 'French garrisons' which leads to a drop in the relationship with the Spanish.

To be honest I rarely had the chance to play the chain so completely and in sequence. Having said that, this sequence at one point almost always forces Portugal to make peace with Spain, which takes some borderlands or cities, especially if Portugal has been overrun. Thus, the stage is set for the Spanish turnabout.

The Diplomatic engine does things where it gets confused into the "hierarchies" of alliances/defensive alliances : Basically whenever a major ally to a minor comes to it's aid in a war, it should slide the war with the minor INTO the war with the major so that the engine treats it as one war between AI country x and the major and some allies (including the originally attacked minor) so that the peace takes place at the major level and is all encompassing.

One issue is that in this game you get a CB when an ally of yours is attacked, what you should get is a pop pu box during turn resolution ideally or first thing after turn resolution saying "Spain attacked Portugal, do you honor your alliance and protect Portugal or do you chose shame and dishonor?" If you click "dow" the original war will be absorbed in your war, if you click no, than Portugal is on its own...

Should be the same thing with Bavaria/Wurtemberg and Austria/Prussia as well !

csiemers
Sergeant

Wed May 25, 2016 12:25 pm

That was early in 1808.
It's now late 1808 and Portugal and Spain have declared Peace with Portugal losing some territory.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun May 29, 2016 4:34 pm

csiemers,
A definite problem for all peace treaties between major nations. It's sad that even the Treaty of Pressburg doesn't include peace for Bavaria or Kingdom of Italy which gain regions from Austria. Very shortsighted making that event. However it's like a cheat for the Austrian AI as it gets to go back to beating up Bavaria with impunity for 24 turns.

PhilThib

Mon May 30, 2016 8:02 am

Omnius wrote:csiemers,
A definite problem for all peace treaties between major nations. It's sad that even the Treaty of Pressburg doesn't include peace for Bavaria or Kingdom of Italy which gain regions from Austria. Very shortsighted making that event. However it's like a cheat for the Austrian AI as it gets to go back to beating up Bavaria with impunity for 24 turns.

Which version of the game are you using (did you use latest patch?)

When Austria accepts the peace of Pressburg, she ends up at peace with ALL her enemies (the event has the following effect: AUS SettleWhitePeace ALL), so that should not happen as you describe.

Captain_Orso

Mon May 30, 2016 9:48 am

In patch level 1.02 I recently saw it working. If you don't know what to expect, it is a little surprising though.

When France 'offers' the Treaty of Pressburg and if Austria agrees to it, it takes about a turn for it to start to go into affect.

The turn after Austria signs the treaty--at least I think it was one turn afterward, well certainly not less :laugh: ..... :( you guys have no humor--, all regions Austria owned when war started all revert to Austrian control. This looks very scary at first, because it looks like the game had gone mad and just reset to before the war :grr: , except that the French units are right where they were the turn before, or to where they were moving Image.

But don't worry, the next turn, the region give to Bavaria and the Kingdom of Italy are transferred to their ownership. At the same time all Austrian units in those regions are moved to Vienna.

And, all's well that ends well Image

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:In patch level 1.02 I recently saw it working. If you don't know what to expect, it is a little surprising though.

When France 'offers' the Treaty of Pressburg and if Austria agrees to it, it takes about a turn for it to start to go into affect.

The turn after Austria signs the treaty--at least I think it was one turn afterward, well certainly not less :laugh: ..... :( you guys have no humor--, all regions Austria owned when war started all revert to Austrian control. This looks very scary at first, because it looks like the game had gone mad and just reset to before the war :grr: , except that the French units are right where they were the turn before, or to where they were moving Image.

But don't worry, the next turn, the region give to Bavaria and the Kingdom of Italy are transferred to their ownership. At the same time all Austrian units in those regions are moved to Vienna.

And, all's well that ends well Image

True but it would still be bette for gameplay purpose if it all happened in one turn : every property change of territory seems to have a % chance of depots blowing up for example : having 2 property changes in 2 turns seems to me more cumbersome than just 1 in 1 turn.

HHFD50
Captain

Re:

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:57 pm

PhilThib wrote:
Omnius wrote:csiemers,

Which version of the game are you using (did you use latest patch?)

When Austria accepts the peace of Pressburg, she ends up at peace with ALL her enemies (the event has the following effect: AUS SettleWhitePeace ALL), so that should not happen as you describe.

I had this happen in my game too as late as two days ago, and I am using the latest patch. Austria does not stop fighting Bavaria, nor do the Russians. Heck, even Prussia jumped into that war. The only way I could "defend" Austria was to declare war on Prussia, because of peace between me and Austria and Russia.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Britain / Portugal / Spain - War and Peace

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:03 pm

HHFD50,
I was using the 1.2 version of the game. I haven't checked to see if 1.3 solves this as I've just given up hope of ever playing this poorly done game ever again. The 1.3 update looks absolutely disappointing in that it looks to have fixed very little from reading the description.

Return to “Help improve WON”