BruceASinger@gmail.com
Captain

Crashes

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:02 am

I can't play a month without crashing.

All three of the March Beta's seem much worse.

I have attached the *.hst from the current game in the saved directory and all the logs from the logs directory as instructed in the

Sorry! A critical error has occurred. The application will be terminated.

message.

Also, the crashes running with the March Beta's alway lose your turn information. Always.

Crashes with the previous version were about 50/50.
Attachments
5 - 1805 January Grand Campaign.zip
(933.02 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
WONLogs.zip
(426.36 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

BruceASinger@gmail.com
Captain

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:54 am

BruceASinger@gmail.com wrote:I can't play a month without crashing.

All three of the March Beta's seem much worse.

I have attached the *.hst from the current game in the saved directory and all the logs from the logs directory as instructed in the

Sorry! A critical error has occurred. The application will be terminated.

message.

Also, the crashes running with the March Beta's alway lose your turn information. Always.

Crashes with the previous version were about 50/50.

To go along with the crashing every turn forcing me to play every turn twice to get a turn to go through, the game is no longer promoting officers. And I was not paying close enough attention to see that the officers did not get promoted that I can't go back enough turns to before it started happening.

Pocus

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:59 am

Your error (which happens every turn almost) is an hardware issue, probably the video driver don't get along well with our DirectX library and so the game never releases video memory, thus it crashes after a while. You should head to support@slitherine.co.uk so they help you how to reduce the memory footprint, or better they can provide you a DLL that will help on compatibility.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Kosigan
Private

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:08 am

Setting texture size to the 2nd lowest setting has completely fixed my crashes. And I mean 20+ turns without crashes! Also have memory utilization set 2nd lowest. Nvidia 980gtx, but I think this would apply to all nvidias.

The d3d8.DLL enb wrapper didn't help, even though the log file noted it successfully interfaced with my GPU's memory. I noted the game was using up to 40% of the GPU memory with the wrapper (higher than before), so it must be a driver issue with the buffering of the larger texture sizes.

BruceASinger@gmail.com
Captain

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:06 am

Kosigan wrote:Setting texture size to the 2nd lowest setting has completely fixed my crashes. And I mean 20+ turns without crashes! Also have memory utilization set 2nd lowest. Nvidia 980gtx, but I think this would apply to all nvidias.

The d3d8.DLL enb wrapper didn't help, even though the log file noted it successfully interfaced with my GPU's memory. I noted the game was using up to 40% of the GPU memory with the wrapper (higher than before), so it must be a driver issue with the buffering of the larger texture sizes.

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried the suggestions and it did not work for me.

The only way I can play is to Save the Game, shut down the game, restart the game, and process a turn before I do any else.

Pocus

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:48 am

Thanks for the feedback. The wrapper might help sometimes. The issue is clearly between using an old DirectX library and some GPU that don't cope well with that. So bad for retrocompatibility.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Kev_uk
Colonel

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:32 am

I am getting the same crashes, usually after two or three turns and I have to go back and re-do all the planning. I also use a GTX960, 4GB memory Nvidia card. Come the third turn then my system starts to lag. It ususally occurs after the movement phase, just when it is logging the reports. Kinda frustrating.

Pocus

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:55 am

Did you contact support Kev_uk? For people with video issue, that's a necessary step.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:56 am

Yes, I posted it on the Matrix forum, and now its fixed. I reinstalled on a separate drive, allowed permissions for Windows Defender and the Firewall, updated audio drivers as they suggested and now it is no longer CTD'ing.

BruceASinger@gmail.com
Captain

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:51 am

BruceASinger@gmail.com wrote:Thank you for your suggestions. I tried the suggestions and it did not work for me.

The only way I can play is to Save the Game, shut down the game, restart the game, and process a turn before I do any else.

The game has degenerated to the point that even closing the game and restarting the computer will not allow the game to process a turn.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:47 am

It was crashing for me every third turn, sometimes in the middle of the planning stage, usually at the end when it writes the reports. I posted my dxdiag and other files over at the Matrix tech supp. forum and now I have only had one crash since they helped me fix it. It does lag still, but it no longer CTD's.

BruceASinger@gmail.com
Captain

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:07 am

Pocus wrote:Did you contact support Kev_uk? For people with video issue, that's a necessary step.

Yes I did. I got an auto reply with a case number - 2016040210000182. How many weeks should I wait for a follow up E-mail?

Things I have tried.

All of the March Beta patches. The April 11th beta. Un-installing the entire game. Install the base game, the offical patch. Crashes. Un-installing and trying again with the base game, offical patch, and the April 11th beta. Un-installing every thing again, the base game, the offical patch, and the March 24th patch. Again with the latest March 9th patch. And finally again with the Feb 17th patch as that seem the most stable of the 9 beta patches I played.

As I was only saving 3 games, I could only go back 3 turns. When I rolled back those three turns, I had captured all the Prussian cites but 3. I must have played those 3 turns 20 different times. What I learned was it did not matter which game+patches I played. The turn after capturing the second city the game always crashed while processing the turn. It did not matter which two cities I captured. The order I captured them. How long it took to capture them. The game always crashed while processing the turn after I captured the second city. No other crashes, just on the turn after I capture the second city.

I don't understand how my "Hardware" is linked to the the turn after I capture the next to last Prussian city.

When I am not play WON or using my computer for other things, I run Universtiy of Standford's "Folding at Home." This program uses Markov Chain models to simulate the "Folding of Proitens". The program uses both your CPU's and GPU's to do these calculations. It will keep your CPU and GPU utilazation at 99+% while it is running. If you have power issues, it crashes. If you don't have enough case, video, and cpu, it crashes. If you have a memory issue it crashes. Running "Folding at home" is the best stress test I have ever seen.

I can run "Folding at Home" for 48+ hours without an issue but when I run your game {Which very rarely peaks either the CPU or GPU over 40% and never runs the CPU or GPU fans over 25%} has an "Hardware" issue after less than 30 minutes.

I believe that like I believe that the "Random Unit" wandering is caused by the AI. Tell me, how can the AI in one turn build Prussian Depots in France, England, Turkey and Spain "Without a Supply Brigade in those countries at those locations."

Pocus

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:49 am

They should reply in 48h max. I'll ping them with your ticket number, perhaps they replied and it went into your junkmail? The guys are known to be fast.

coach3play4
Private

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:10 pm

i get very few crashes and mostly when i leave the game on for a long time. and i have a very underpowered computer - internal graphics etc. so i can see why the develpers have difficulty figuring out how to solve. how can i have few crashes with an underpowered computer and some with betttrer equipment have more.

Pocus

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:18 pm

@BruceASinger@gmail.com

I got confirmation from helpdesk that they replied to you. They suggest you check your spam box. If you find nothing, please contact them again or send the same mail but to me (pocus@ageod.net) and I'll relay.

BruceASinger@gmail.com
Captain

Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:52 pm

Pocus wrote:@BruceASinger@gmail.com

I got confirmation from helpdesk that they replied to you. They suggest you check your spam box. If you find nothing, please contact them again or send the same mail but to me (pocus@ageod.net) and I'll relay.

I got this
Thank you for contacting the Slitherine Ltd. / Matrix Games. Your request has been received and a new ticket #2016040210000182 has been generated.

This is an automated response from Slitherine Ltd. / Matrix Games Team

And this was in my Spam
Dear CEO,

(If you are not the person who is in charge of this, please forward this to your CEO, because this is urgent, Thanks)

We are a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in China.
We received an application from Huabao Ltd on April 11, 2016. They want to register " ageod-forum " as their Internet Keyword and " ageod-forum .cn "、" ageod-forum .com.cn " 、" ageod-forum .net.cn "、" ageod-forum .org.cn " 、" ageod-forum .asia " domain names, they are in China and Asia domain names. But after checking it, we find " ageod-forum " conflicts with your company. In order to deal with this matter better, so we send you email and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China or not?

Best Regards,
Jim
General Manager
Shanghai Office (Head Office)
8006, Xinlong Building, No. 415 WuBao Road,
Shanghai 201105, China
Tel: +86 216191 8696
Mobile: +86 187 0199 4951
Fax: +86 216191 8697
Web: http://www.cn-registry.cn

I get it.

I use the wrong video card even though I use a nVida card bought in Janaury. So tell me, what Video will work with your game.

Also, I use the wrong E-mail even though I use G-mail which hundreds of millions of other people use. Give me the E-mail details and I will open an incident with Google. If they are blocking my E-mail, I need to resolve it.

Pocus

Tue May 03, 2016 2:04 pm

I'll get back to them with the ticket #

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue May 03, 2016 7:25 pm

Pocus wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The wrapper might help sometimes. The issue is clearly between using an old DirectX library and some GPU that don't cope well with that. So bad for retrocompatibility.

What version of DirectX are these people using?

Pocus

Wed May 04, 2016 3:43 pm

The HelpDesk can provide a wrapper which is a Dx9 wrapper I believe, otherwise the game will probably use only Dx8

Pocus

Wed May 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Here is the message they replied to you:
"Hi Bruce,
I'm sorry you are having problems with your game. On your computer, is the game installed to C:\Program Files(x86)? If so, please try the following. Uninstall the game and install the game in a different folder than C:\Program Files (x86) (for example C:\Games).
You can follow the instructions below on how to install Steam games in different locations:
http://www.mameau.com/add-existing-steam-library-folders/
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426
Kind Regards,

Joe Miller
The Slitherine Group" Cheers
Joe

BruceASinger@gmail.com wrote:I got this
Thank you for contacting the Slitherine Ltd. / Matrix Games. Your request has been received and a new ticket #2016040210000182 has been generated.

This is an automated response from Slitherine Ltd. / Matrix Games Team

And this was in my Spam
Dear CEO,

(If you are not the person who is in charge of this, please forward this to your CEO, because this is urgent, Thanks)

We are a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in China.
We received an application from Huabao Ltd on April 11, 2016. They want to register " ageod-forum " as their Internet Keyword and " ageod-forum .cn "、" ageod-forum .com.cn " 、" ageod-forum .net.cn "、" ageod-forum .org.cn " 、" ageod-forum .asia " domain names, they are in China and Asia domain names. But after checking it, we find " ageod-forum " conflicts with your company. In order to deal with this matter better, so we send you email and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China or not?

Best Regards,
Jim
General Manager
Shanghai Office (Head Office)
8006, Xinlong Building, No. 415 WuBao Road,
Shanghai 201105, China
Tel: +86 216191 8696
Mobile: +86 187 0199 4951
Fax: +86 216191 8697
Web: www.cn-registry.cn

I get it.

I use the wrong video card even though I use a nVida card bought in Janaury. So tell me, what Video will work with your game.

Also, I use the wrong E-mail even though I use G-mail which hundreds of millions of other people use. Give me the E-mail details and I will open an incident with Google. If they are blocking my E-mail, I need to resolve it.

Offworlder
General

Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Pocus wrote:Here is the message they replied to you:
"Hi Bruce,
I'm sorry you are having problems with your game. On your computer, is the game installed to C:\Program Files(x86)? If so, please try the following. Uninstall the game and install the game in a different folder than C:\Program Files (x86) (for example C:\Games).
You can follow the instructions below on how to install Steam games in different locations:
http://www.mameau.com/add-existing-steam-library-folders/
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426
Kind Regards,

Joe Miller
The Slitherine Group" Cheers
Joe

I'm having frequent crashes as well though I haven't installed it on Steam. Does the above advice count in such a situation as well (I mean to install it in different folders etc)?

Pocus

Fri May 06, 2016 8:24 am

If the problems come from write access, installing in C:\games and not Program Files will help indeed.

Offworlder
General

Fri May 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Merci!

kongxinga
Private

Can that dll fix be made public?

Sat May 07, 2016 8:46 am

Hi everyone. I am also having crashes every turn, along with french error messages that looks like access violations to ngc. I read above that contacting Slitherine for a dll could help. Is there a way to make that help/dll in the next patch or post it publicly? This is mainly for convenience since I can't believe it is the best way to go to have all the individual people go and email and get a personal response for that.

I have a Geforce 980 Ti, so I guess my graphics card is too new and therefore causing problems too.

Btw, markov chains to model folding of proteins sounds really cool. Did that need a complicated CUDA setup or was the setup pre packaged.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Sat May 07, 2016 9:02 am

I was getting this, and I was advised to turn the memory settings in options down to the lowest 10%. And turn off texture initialisation. Never have had a crash since.

Return to “Help improve WON”