zooter
Captain

next beta patch

Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:45 pm

could you allow a nation to build supply depots in its allies territories?

Pocus

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:49 am

Actually, this is a limitation of the engine. You can build a depot in a region which has no other structure, but you can't if there is an allied city, sorry.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

BruceASinger@gmail.com
Captain

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:22 am

Pocus wrote:Actually, this is a limitation of the engine. You can build a depot in a region which has no other structure, but you can't if there is an allied city, sorry.

Does it mean you can build a depot in allied territory if the region has no structures?

Pocus

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:08 pm

yes, it should work, but keep a unit there though.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:13 pm

Pocus wrote:yes, it should work, but keep a unit there though.

in the unit ledger or are you talking about an RGD ?

EDIT : this might be key because I fear that a bottleneck in the east side of the Rhine (Francfort for example with no depot) might be a cause for many supplies issues

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:10 pm

veji1 wrote:in the unit ledger or are you talking about an RGD ?

EDIT : this might be key because I fear that a bottleneck in the east side of the Rhine (Francfort for example with no depot) might be a cause for many supplies issues

Sadly it doesnt seem to work which is a shame, it could make a big difference to supply problems...

Captain_Orso

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:22 pm

What may be preventing this from working is not having the minimum 25% MC in the region. Maybe having a regenerating set of RGD's to build depots could fix this.

The RGD should:
- Check if the region belongs to an ally (if it doesn't just capture it and build a depot *duh* :wacko :) .
- Check if you have a supply unit (3 supply elements) in the region.
- Check if you have enough money to pay for the depot.
- Check that there are no other structures in the region.
- If all of the above pass the test, give the player playing the RGD 25% MC and start building the depot.

Questions that remain (and not necessarily just with the RGD itself):
- Will giving the faction which built the depot 25% MC and the depot cause the region to change control to the builder's side?
- If the depot owner doesn't own the region and allied troops move through the region, will the MC shift toward the allies faction, and will this affect the function of the depot?

There are lots of unknowns and I think the game wasn't really created with this concept in mind. Maybe it would work splendidly, and maybe it will fail with just a minor discrepancy.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:08 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:What may be preventing this from working is not having the minimum 25% MC in the region. Maybe having a regenerating set of RGD's to build depots could fix this.

The RGD should:
- Check if the region belongs to an ally (if it doesn't just capture it and build a depot *duh* :wacko :) .
- Check if you have a supply unit (3 supply elements) in the region.
- Check if you have enough money to pay for the depot.
- Check that there are no other structures in the region.
- If all of the above pass the test, give the player playing the RGD 25% MC and start building the depot.

Questions that remain (and not necessarily just with the RGD itself):
- Will giving the faction which built the depot 25% MC and the depot cause the region to change control to the builder's side?
- If the depot owner doesn't own the region and allied troops move through the region, will the MC shift toward the allies faction, and will this affect the function of the depot?

There are lots of unknowns and I think the game wasn't really created with this concept in mind. Maybe it would work splendidly, and maybe it will fail with just a minor discrepancy.

To me the fact that the depot switches straight away to your ally is not a problem at all IF we get confirmation that although you can't see it, your supply can travel through your allies' depots. Basically what we need is the ability to "gift wrap" a depot to an ally. As the french I know I would build some in Berg, Wurtemberg, Bavaria , Holland and Italy straight away and later when the RHC is created in Baden, Francfort, etc... And once Saxony switches side, in Saxony as well. because otherwise winter is very very very deadly because by restricting distance traveled by supply it creates holes in the grid and your corps in Wien or in Breslau suddenly face a choice between starving where they are or running through a Blizzard "russian style" to try and survive... To me this is one of the most annoying aspects of the game right now.

(the fact that I keep playing just goes to show the amazing potential it has...

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:11 pm

To me the test in the engine should be : can my supply travel through this province (ie it is either mine, belongs to an ally or is territory I or an ally control in ennemy land) ? If it can, I can build a depot and it will switch to whoever has the MC (me if I have it or an ally if he does).

Forget the notion of having MC when building a depot.

Captain_Orso

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:57 am

Your supply can move through allied regions.

Allied depots and depots belonging to factions with which you have Supply Access or Foreign Access do NOT draw your supply. They will give your stacks within range supply, but that supply is produced by that faction and coming from that faction.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:11 am

Captain_Orso wrote:Your supply can move through allied regions.

Allied depots and depots belonging to factions with which you have Supply Access or Foreign Access do NOT draw your supply. They will give your stacks within range supply, but that supply is produced by that faction and coming from that faction.

Well then we have a game breaker there : how on earth can you supply a 250k grande armée in Bavaria like in 1809 if you are only fed their supplies and yours just keep piling up in France?

Return to “Help improve WON”