Montbrun
Major

A Few Observations

Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:24 pm

Just a few observations:

1) Hanover
The “Electorate of Hanover,” part of the Holy Roman Empire, was occupied by the French during March, 1803. During 1805, Hanover was to be handed over to the Prussians in exchange for the Prussians not intervening while Napoleon was campaigning against the Austrians, but Napoleon later recanted on this agreement. On November 15, 1807, Napoleon announced the creation of the Kingdom of Westphalia, and Hanover was made part of this kingdom. After Napoleon’s defeat in 1814, the Kingdom of Hanover was created.
At the start of both the January and August, 1805 Campaign Games, Hanover should be part of France.

2) “Kingdom of Piedmont”
Prior to 1798, known as the “Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia.” In 1798, the French annexed the “Piedmont” portion of the kingdom, and the king fled to Sardinia. The in-game “Kingdom of Piedmont” should be the “Kingdom of Sardinia.”

3) Holland
From January 19, 1795, Holland was known as the “Batavian Republic.” On June 5, 1806, the Batavian Republic became the “Kingdom of Holland,” with Louis Bonaparte as king. As of July 9, 1810, the Kingdom of Holland was annexed outright into France.
At the start of both the January and August, 1805 Campaign Games, the in-game “Kingdom of Holland” should be the “Batavian Republic.”

4) Switzerland
On March 5, 1798, after being invaded by the French, Switzerland became the “Helvetic Republic.” Prior to this, Switzerland was know as the “Swiss Confederation.” On February 19, 1803, after a civil war, Switzerland became the “Swiss Confederation” (again).

5) “Rhine Confederacy”
This should be the “Confederation of the Rhine,” or “Rhine Confederation.”

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:58 am

Montbrun wrote:Just a few observations:

5) “Rhine Confederacy”
This should be the “Confederation of the Rhine,” or “Rhine Confederation.”

Has anybody actually been able to locate the Rhine Confederacy on the map?? They don't appear to be near the Rhine river...
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Pocus

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:24 am

They are created by event, but PhilThib will have to confirm how it is done. I think the conditions are relatively easy to get though.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm

The Rhine Conderacy / tion is a loose assembly of various states located all over central Germany. Gameplay wise, their capital is Frankfurt

PhilThib

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Montbrun wrote:At the start of both the January and August, 1805 Campaign Games, Hanover should be part of France.

Will be formally occupied by France but we keep the annexation option in the game (as it is used to trigger other events), and will implement Vicberg change to 'absorb' hannover...although technically and historically this absorbtion is wrong: Hannover maintained its own government and diplomacy, even in exile...so it never disappeared and there are no historical reasons to justify it should stop making diplomacy...the only reason to do so is that because the diplomatic engine is pestering the players with ridiculously frequent DoWs and the likes...instead of keeping quiet like all nations without territory should do.

Pocus

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Well if the issue is that, I can severally limit what a country without regions can do. Sometime, it's better to get to the point with me :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:45 pm

In next patch, due this evening, nations without control of any region won't propose any treaties or DOW anyone. They can generate peace treaties and will reply though.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:30 pm

Pocus wrote:In next patch, due this evening, nations without control of any region won't propose any treaties or DOW anyone. They can generate peace treaties and will reply though.

Another issue is the "excessive" autonomy the satellites have. I understand that you didn't want the design to be "boom once Bavaria is a member of the french alliance, the french player gets control of 30 000 extra soldiers and with the whole Rhine confederation, he is basically going to have 100 000 or so extra soldiers making him virtually unbeatable." So you made minors keep control of their troops BUT with the mechanism of expeditionnary forces. This could work well if it was more / better integrated and the diplomatic engine was actually simpler. In line with what Vicberg has said about using RGDs, I think some aspects of the diplomatic engine could use some drastic simplification :
- Satellite minors shouldn't have autonomous diplomacy, as in the AI calculating outcomes, offering treaties, etc... They should be passive but sometimes event driven based on outside circumstances : French morale drops below x ? y chance that the minor leaves the french alliance ; Cities x and y occupied by an ennemy force ? Y force that the minor signs a peace treaty involving no loss of territory (ie money penalty + free passage and supply for the victor) to drop out of the war.
- As a corollary satellite minors should be exclusively defensive in how they use their forces : The Bavarians or Wurtembergers should just keep their forces in their territory as a defensive force and basically only the expeditionnary forces should be used offensivelly.
- This would mean no diplomatic initiative for satellite minors (just event driven) and a very limited military AI (no offense basically). It would make the game simpler and more logical.
- the french (or others at other times in game) would have to use an RGD or an army modifier (gain Wurttemberg expeditionnary force, etc...) to gain an expeditionary force from a satellite minor. It would cost them EPs, sometimes make them gain "bad boy ratings (an old EU term for bad reputation). In a same way the french (and others) should be able tu use RGD or F3/F4 decisions to gain WS or money from some of their satellite minors (at a cost/penalty to be determined).
- Of course members of an alliance (ai the green hand with a star which makes them satellite) should as a corollary of my first point just never be at war with other countries autonomously;

I find it very annoying that while as France I am battling Prussia, Saxony has turned to my side BUT still finds itself at war with Bavaria, whereas Wurtemberg and Austria are at war over Ulm and remained so after I trashed Austria again. I am now in peace with Austria for the second time BUT seeing them and my wurtemberger satellite battling it out in Bohemia !!!

This is just useless complication.

Satellites should be treated as such. Maybe there should be a different level in the diplomatic engine :
- defense treaty (gives a country a CB to engage in a defensive war against an aggressor of the ally)
- member of the alliance (ie makes war declarations automatic in both defensive and offensive situations + ability to support allies by giving money / lending troops) yet remaining autonomous : this would be what the member of the french alliance is today : Spain for example which can be made easily a member of the alliance, but other countries in that situation would keep military "free will", have a full fledged military AI, etc...
- satellite country (ie Kingdoms of Holland or Italy, Rhine confederation states, etc...). Those should have no diplomatic AI to speak off, just triggers for event, and a purely defensive military AI but with automatic (up to say 50% of their forces) expeditionary force approval (which could than for example fight with a penalty (dispirited or else) depending on the circumstances or have each turn a C&C mixup chance...).

Really the military and diplomatic system proves way too complicated right now with just too many AIs thinking and sending stacks around and DOWing each other, and troops travelling peacemeal in all directions. the game would gain a lot from some clever AI turning off !
-

zooter
Captain

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:36 pm

who hoo! a patch tonight, been waiting for a new one. Had put the game away last week. having played several Ageod games I think this will be the best once the bits get sorted out.
Zoot

Return to “Help improve WON”