Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

1.02 Depot Construction Bug

Thu May 26, 2016 9:06 pm

I've been playing with the new official 1.02 version and tried to build a supply depot in Donauswoerth as the French. I placed two captured Prussian supply wagons, each with 3 elements, into a single formation and gave them the order to build the depot. Two turns later I get the message that a supply depot has been built in Donauswoerth but the two supply wagons are still there. Where's the supply depot? I remember it was rather easy to build supply depots using two supply wagons in their own formation. I've included the saved game folder for the last turn plus main.txt log files so you can find out what went wrong. Unfortunately I couldn't add in the turn before's files because it made the zip file too large. You need to increase the size of files we can upload a bit so we can include more than one turn. Building depots from supply wagons is a very basic thing to do and it should work. The manual is extremely poor at explaining the building process, sure isn't in the supply chapter where it belongs.
Attachments
5 - 1805 January Grand Campaign.zip
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 191 times

Pocus

Fri May 27, 2016 9:00 am

Added to my list of things to do, will publish a patch soon but I can't tell you if the fix will be in.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri May 27, 2016 9:15 am

Pocus wrote:Added to my list of things to do, will publish a patch soon but I can't tell you if the fix will be in.

Great work, the game is a future classic. :thumbsup:

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun May 29, 2016 3:58 pm

Pocus wrote:Added to my list of things to do, will publish a patch soon but I can't tell you if the fix will be in.

Pocus,
Excellent news that this is a bug to be fixed. I have an update as I played a few more turns further and discovered what was broken and that I actually got the depot built.

I read a post here on the forum that in a minor nation you need supply rights to build the depot. So I got supply rights for France from Wurtemberg and finally the depot finished building as a building type. However it wasn't until a turn later that the two supply wagons disappeared. Since Foreign Access includes supply rights and I had FA at the time I started building it should have built correctly. Must make sure that any diplomatic option that includes supply rights works for building a depot. One real pain in the behind I wish you'd fix is giving us a key to hide units, so difficult to see things behind unit pictures and moving a stack of many can ruin entrenchment levels.

Pocus

Tue May 31, 2016 10:36 am

I checked and the depot is built the next turn, it is underneath the counters so you probably have missed it. Also that's normal the Prussian wagons don't disappear, in WON building a depot only cost conscripts, but you need wagons to initiate the building.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:47 am

Pocus wrote:I checked and the depot is built the next turn, it is underneath the counters so you probably have missed it. Also that's normal the Prussian wagons don't disappear, in WON building a depot only cost conscripts, but you need wagons to initiate the building.

Can you make a note to put the requirements and cost in to the tooltip. :)

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Pocus wrote:I checked and the depot is built the next turn, it is underneath the counters so you probably have missed it. Also that's normal the Prussian wagons don't disappear, in WON building a depot only cost conscripts, but you need wagons to initiate the building.

Pocus,
I did mention the depot was built, though it was hard to see. It may have been built earlier than the turn I noticed it. I also mentioned that the two Prussian supply wagons disappeared the following turn, so it does appear that they are expended during construction, though a tad late. As I recall from Napoleon's Campaigns and Birth of a Nation the supply wagons were expended as well as being needed to begin the depot construction process. I take it somewhere between those older games and now that requirement has changed to not expend the supply wagons?

I then found a new problem with the depot building in a minor nation. I had picked the Request Supply Rights from Wurtemberg and had that accepted a turn later. I then found that Wurtemberg had a Casus Belli with France because of the depot being built at Donauswoerth. I also looked in the Diplomacy Screen and found the Request Supply gone. This can't be right, building a depot after having permission from a minor nation shouldn't cause a Casus Belli. I show that problem in this video:

https://youtu.be/cDjQhJulwb4

I certainly hope that you make sure supply wagons don't disappear a turn after depot construction, it looks like a bug that needs resolution. I also hope that depot building in a minor nation doesn't cause a Casus Belli as that just ruins the game and makes it impossible to extend supply lines through diplomacy.

Pocus

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:07 am

I would need a saved game with backup showing the casus belli appearing, that would be much better and faster, as I have several others issues to tackle on WON which are more precisely identified, a patch to make for PON and then there is the new engine Archon on which we work for our new game (this was announced since 2015 at the Slitherine Convention and made public :)

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:32 am

Pocus wrote:I would need a saved game with backup showing the casus belli appearing, that would be much better and faster, as I have several others issues to tackle on WON which are more precisely identified, a patch to make for PON and then there is the new engine Archon on which we work for our new game (this was announced since 2015 at the Slitherine Convention and made public :)

About Archon, will it be a totally new world for Ageod veterans or will it be an easy transition?

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Casus Belli Bug Saved Game File

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Pocus,
Here's a saved game file showing the Wurtemburg Casus Belli problem. I also noticed that under the politics section I see that my request to Wurtemburg from France for supply rights was turned around to Wurtemburg being given supply rights by France. I know for certain I requested them, I was very careful about that choice. I'm not sure why a Casus Belli would trigger just because France built an on-map depot in Wurtemburg unless France has to get Wurtemburg to join it's Alliance. Depot creation is very poorly explained in the manual, I didn't know which type to expect on-map or unit icon one like you get when an RGD is used to create a depot.

Plus if the two supply wagons aren't expended then just how does the program charge the cost of just the conscripts? That also is a mystery not explained. I did see the supply wagons disappear so have to wonder if that's a bug too.

In all this time since Napoleon's Campaigns AGEOD couldn't be bothered to put in a Hide Units key? Having a Hide Units key, like so many other games have, would be so user friendly useful since it would help players avoid accidental mergers of forces, or a mistaken move to an adjacent region if the player isn't careful moving force icons around. It would have made it much easier for me to spot the depot being built had I been able to quickly and easily hide units to see the map underneath. Truly sad! The "H" key isn't being used, it would make an excellent choice for a Hide Units key.

I hope this helps make this supply depot creation function better.
Attachments
Depot Casus Belli Bug.zip
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 207 times

Philsavory
Sergeant

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:32 pm

Omnius wrote:In all this time since Napoleon's Campaigns AGEOD couldn't be bothered to put in a Hide Units key? Having a Hide Units key, like so many other games have, would be so user friendly useful since it would help players avoid accidental mergers of forces, or a mistaken move to an adjacent region if the player isn't careful moving force icons around. It would have made it much easier for me to spot the depot being built had I been able to quickly and easily hide units to see the map underneath. Truly sad! The "H" key isn't being used, it would make an excellent choice for a Hide Units key.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?43185-Hiding-units-on-the-map

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Hiding Units

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:19 pm

Philsavory wrote:
Omnius wrote:In all this time since Napoleon's Campaigns AGEOD couldn't be bothered to put in a Hide Units key? Having a Hide Units key, like so many other games have, would be so user friendly useful since it would help players avoid accidental mergers of forces, or a mistaken move to an adjacent region if the player isn't careful moving force icons around. It would have made it much easier for me to spot the depot being built had I been able to quickly and easily hide units to see the map underneath. Truly sad! The "H" key isn't being used, it would make an excellent choice for a Hide Units key.

Philsavory,
Could you give me a simple word answer since this link is now broken? Thanks for trying to help!

Philsavory
Sergeant

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Omnius wrote:
Philsavory wrote:

Philsavory,
Could you give me a simple word answer since this link is now broken? Thanks for trying to help!

Hi, I think it's Ctrl and F1-F4, for the various filtering options.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Philsavory wrote:
Omnius wrote:

Philsavory,

Hi, I think it's Ctrl and F1-F4, for the various filtering options.

Philsavory,
Thanks! I'll have to give that a try. I sure didn't see this in the manual. I just want to see the map better to see what's in areas, especially when building a depot.

Return to “WON Technical support / Aide technique”