elxaime
General

Now that WOS is Out...How About WON as 2-Player?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:19 pm

Now that WOS is out, it would be great if AGEOD would consider a revision of the WON game to make it a two-sided version like WOS. While in theory the current six player multiplayer sounds great, it is often very difficult in practice to sustain a game with committed players (especially if you have even one player who decides to do crazy things) and there are problems with the AI handling the multitude of minor states and the diplomacy system. This could be a DLC or a new version of the game entirely, a WON II. Like WOS it would feature:

- two-sided campaign, this time Great Britain and France as sides, with the rest either pro or anti
- heavy on political choices and scripted events; the existing diplomacy system would be ditched
- minors would be handled in terms of their relations to the great powers; certain events like the War of 1812, the Sweden-Russia war and the Russia-Persia war could be handled abstractly
- by doing this as a two-sided war, you eliminate the current WON problem of some nations having lengthy down times, e.g. Austria or Prussia needing to cool their heels for years after being defeated by France, or nations like Ottomans who can spend most or all of the game inactive.

I think two-sided multiplayer would be a hit in terms of people actually playing it, as opposed to admiring it from afar in the abstract, which I suspect is the case with the existing WON.

Durk

Re: Now that WOS is Out...How About WON as 2-Player?

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:14 am

Maybe this is the correct next direction, but I am mixed.
I wanted a two player game with 30 day, that is, month long turns.
However, I am in several seven player games. In one, I am the Ottoman. It is not a 'boring' faction to play at all. I have minor powers to conquer and alliances to support.
That said, I am up in the air. My ideal would be a 30 day per turn game, two player, kind of as you suggest. But I do love the current game very much.

Nikel

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:12 am

This was not done in its time and sold as a DLC, not even my modders.

I doubt this will happen with the new engine in mind.

Captain_Orso

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Of one thing I am 99.5% certain, we will not see a WON with 30 day turns. It would take an immense amount of work to bend the current WON to run on 30 day turns. There are too many things hard coded to turn length, plus so many things in scripts and settings in flat files, plus the entire map is setup for one week turns.

About 2-player WON, 2 players can now simply device up the factions as they see fit. One must simply load the factions one controls and issue there orders; simply as that. It might be a minor bother, but it works with what we have now, and it prevents the players from treating the factions as if they were one huge factions, which they never were.

Durk

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:31 am

Yes, it can be played two player very well. Players just need some house rules for neutral majors: random, deterministic, or roll of the dice (random number generator).
But seven player pbem games are a lot of fun. Great game for play. A few glitches still in need of fixing, but not a deal breaker.

Offworlder
General

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Actually I'd love to see certain feature from WOS implemented in WON. Having a less complex diplomatic approach would be one, maybe replaced with a system of cards.

EX - Creation of the Rhineland Confederation, annexation of Holland and taking over Italy should result in basically taking over all its Members armies and being access to buildable units

or

the French invasion of Spain should basically shift the latter automatically in the opposite camp

elxaime
General

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:59 am

That's the main change I'd like to see, a revised diplomacy system with more scripted outcomes based on player choices. It makes no sense to have all these tiny duchies and tribal groups running around engaged in dubious activities more appropriate to renaissance or medieval era.

Yes, you can play current WON 2-player by dividing up the nations and putting in place your own house rules. But the AI-run smaller nations are an irritation, as anyone who has watched the French-allied Danish and Dutch navies feed a stream of kills to the British have seen. Why put up with the aggravation and the need to create house rules when it is feasible to develop and release a two player approach like that of WOS or EAW? For those who like the current system, they'd still have that.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”