joemcmullin
Conscript

What do I do with captured artillery?

Thu May 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Hey all,

Firstly thanks for the replies so far. I've captured a whole bunch of artillery from Russia, Austria, Prussia etc but I can't put them into divisions, and I don't think I can do anything with them.

What do you al suggest?

Straight Arrow
General

Re: What do I do with captured artillery?

Thu May 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Use them to garrison fortress.

Or, consider moving them to your home country and disbanding them; this will recapture part of the unit's build cost.

csiemers
Sergeant

Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 pm

I add them to Corps or Army commands and they are used there.

joemcmullin
Conscript

Thu May 04, 2017 9:03 pm

I moved the units to French territory and they still cost victory points to disband?

Straight Arrow
General

Fri May 05, 2017 12:27 am

joemcmullin wrote:I moved the units to French territory and they still cost victory points to disband?

Yep; it costs VP to disband a unit. But, some times it's worth the cost.

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Tue May 09, 2017 3:00 am

This is why the multi-national commander skill is so valuable. You can integrate them into a division which is being run by a multinational general. Otherwise, use them for the towns that you are holding and garrisoning. They will fight on your behalf but will not be of as much battle strengthen without a multi-national commander to lead them.

Offworlder
General

Sun May 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Captured Prussian artillery can be used by French generals with the ability to command |German troops. So basically use them (light and cavalry artillery) to beef up divisions made up of German troops under such generals while using French artillery in French divisions (including cavalry divisions, especially later on when recruiting the brigades. Also I tend to bunch all the Prussian 12 pounders into a kind of 'army artillery division' led by Morand (who starts in Italy and is rather lacking in stats but does have the German command attribute) or one of the corps commanders with the same attribute and put them with one of the armies. BTW I have never used them with other purely German commanders, but artillery seems to be quite plentiful in the German Minor States.

BTW keep an eye out for the occasional Sicilian or Piedmontese artillery unit. These could be used to reinforce Italian divisions using those generals with the Italian command attribute (they're quite numerous). However, they are few and far between, except it seems, when you invade Sardinia....

Russian, Austrian and other artillery I tend to either use them with generals with international command attribute to reinforce multinational forces or as garrisons for the line of depots one creates mid game all the way to Poland.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”