Nappy
Corporal

Momentum of a campaign.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm a strong believer in keeping up the momentum in a campaign, especially following up a big battle.

In many cases, many leaders on the following turn, shift to a defensive posture (usually meaning inactive).

So, what I do is grab the next best leader(s) that's active, form up adhoc units, usually divisions and continue to attack. A technique which so far has worked well for me, take the most senor active general that is capable of corp command, and create another corps, shift all other units (and perhaps the corps HQ and a few supply units) in good order to him and then reorganize divisions...

This works pretty good if the battle begins towards the end of the turn (day 5-7), because I can still see the target at the end of the turn...if it was near the beginning (1-3), if the enemy gets away, it becomes problematic...which way did they go?

Needless to say, cavalry with high strategic leaders are imperative to relocate the enemy.

Going back to the immediate aftermath of the battle, you have your new corps, you've reformed your divisions with active leaders...pushing forward....

What will eventually happen, you'll have smaller and smaller units strewn all over the place. It begins to look like an Amway flow-chart.

And, in addition to chasing down scattered enemy units, some of them will head towards towns/forts, or you might just be enticed to grab one anyways...which may or may not require a full blown siege.

So, have an operational plan that incorporates being prepared to be opportunistic, keep in mind, all things considered, if you win a battle, even if they retreat in good order, you normally have an advantage in the next mash-up...but, yes, I know, not always.

In any case, don't become nervous after winning a hard fought battle, exploit it and 9 times out of 10, you'll be rewarded.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Thank you, this is very interesting advice. It is challenging to exploit a victory in this campaign, especially a winter approaches.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”