Ironclad
Sergeant

Can't get replay to work

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:49 am

Alt and Tab doesn't get me the console so I bring it up the old way using the Tilde key. Typing in loadreplay and copy of the file name then pressing enter - turns the game screen a blank beige. Pressing the space key or enter returns the screen to the game view ie no replay. Typing in just loadreplay and entering it as in CW2 brings up the same beige screen so same result.

Captain_Orso

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Ironclad wrote:Alt and Tab doesn't get me the console

<Alt><Tab>? For years that's been a hard-coded Windows keyboard shortcut for selecting another app to which you can change.

Ironclad wrote:so I bring it up the old way using the Tilde key. Typing in loadreplay and copy of the file name then pressing enter

"the file name"?? Which file name?

Ironclad wrote: - turns the game screen a blank beige. Pressing the space key or enter returns the screen to the game view ie no replay. Typing in just loadreplay and entering it as in CW2 brings up the same beige screen so same result.

Both work for me entering a replay file path\name or simply pressing enter.

Are you sure you are creating replay files?

Pocus

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:46 pm

You have to specifically activate replay as it is a memory hungry, slow process.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ironclad
Sergeant

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:29 pm

Apologies gents I messed up

You are spot on Captain, I had forgotten to turn save back on when I reinstalled WON for the beta. Never thought to check as I'm using the replay files provided by our host in a seven player pbem. Loadreplay worked without needing the file path which suits me fine

Sorry again. Great game btw.

bommerrang
Sergeant

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Okay, I have read this 3 times and still don't know what you guys mean.
what is a "Tilde key"?
Can someone detail out specifically what steps to take to initiate replay for us?
I'm in two 7 player games and no one knows how to do it.

typhoon
Corporal

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:06 pm

Would be good to get an answer to bommerrangs question. I am thinking that perhaps this replay is a thing of myth espessially in multi player games. Maybe like Nessie there have been a few reported sightings but no conclusive evidence

Ironclad
Sergeant

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:22 pm

First make sure players have switched on Save Replay in Options and the host in pbem needs to ensure that players are sent or can access the replay file for their respective country along with the Ord file that is produced. Then follow this sequence.

1. Press the key that brings up the console. Referred to as the tilde key because of the sign ~, however on my UK keyboard the key also has the number sign # which may be easier to spot. I'm not sure if the tilde key shares that on the US keyboard, but that key is below the Esc key on the US board, and on the middle right for UK.

2. The console appears - an overlay box in the centre of the screen. Type in the word loadreplay and press enter.

3. The screen should now change to replay mode - and day 1 appears on the screen.

4. Press the space key to start it cycling through the days 1 to 7. Pressing space stops and starts the sequence.

5. You can move your screen around the board in the usual way as well as using zoom to get to see the action across the map.

6. When finished I normally exit the whole program to make sure replay mode is off and its back to normal before re-entering to play..

typhoon
Corporal

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:41 pm

Ironclad wrote:Sorry have only just seen bommerrang and typhoon's comments.

For replay first make sure players have switched on Save Replay in Options and the host in pbem needs to ensure that players are sent or can access the replay file for their respective country along with the Ord file that is produced. Then follow this sequence.

1. Press the key that brings up the console. Referred to as the tilde key because of the sign ~, however on my UK keyboard the key also has the number sign # which may be easier to spot. I'm not sure if the tilde key shares that on the US keyboard, but that key is below the Esc key on the US board, and on the middle right for UK.

2. The console appears - an overlay box in the centre of the screen. Type in the word loadreplay and press enter.

3. The screen should now change to replay mode - and day 1 appears on the screen.

4. Press the space key to start it cycling through the days 1 to 7. Pressing space stops and starts the sequence.

5. You can move your screen around the board in the usual way as well as using zoom to get to see the action across the map.

6. When finished I normally exit the whole program to make sure replay mode is off and its back to normal before re-entering to play..

Thank you kind sir. Perhaps now you can also produce a recent photo of Nessie

Ironclad
Sergeant

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:47 pm

typhoon wrote:Thank you kind sir. Perhaps now you can also produce a recent photo of Nessie

Here you are:

[ATTACH]37225[/ATTACH]
Attachments
nessie.jpg

bommerrang
Sergeant

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Ironclad wrote:First make sure players have switched on Save Replay in Options and the host in pbem needs to ensure that players are sent or can access the replay file for their respective country along with the Ord file that is produced. Then follow this sequence.

Thank you!!!!

Aurelin
Colonel

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 pm

I have it switched off for the PBEM I'm hosting. If I turn it back on in the options screen will that work. (The other six players may want them.)

I never watch them myself. I'm of the opinion that too much is given away by watching everyone else's (I'll not upload mine :) )

typhoon
Corporal

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Is that what it does then will it remove the fog of war if so I'm content to just read the reports. I thought it would only show events the owning player was involved in.

Ironclad
Sergeant

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:39 pm

It only does show your moves or the enemy in contact. To see the others you would have to play their replay files which I regard as out of bounds. To be honest I rarely use it but from Civil War 2 experience it is handy to check move sequences at times - especially if you have several forces engaged in conflict in an area and it does enable you to see power strength changes through a turn.

bommerrang
Sergeant

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:31 pm

well, I could never get mine to work. I first typed in 'loadReplay' and when I hit 'enter' I heard a ding like the PC did not recognize the command. I then typed in '?' for help and I saw that the loadreplay command requires a path to the file so I tried that by entering 'loadreplay c:/....' but that also did not work. I'm a little challenged with this so maybe I will forget the whole thing.
Yea, in our game I saw all of the replay files and I realized that one could play any of them but that wouldn't be fair.
Anyway, I'm not going to use the replay file now.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”